• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncharted has excellent characters and set pieces but the actual gameplay is pretty meh. The Last of Us got gameplay right along with the rest, which is why I hope that UC4 takes the lessons learned from TLOU and applies them to Uncharted so i can actually enjoy it as a game that isn't simply Indiana Jones meets Gears of War

Uncharted has excellent characters and set pieces but the actual gameplay is pretty meh. The Last of Us got gameplay right along with the rest, which is why I hope that UC4 takes the lessons learned from TLOU and applies them to Uncharted so i can actually enjoy it as a game that isn't simply Indiana Jones meets Gears of War
I hope that UC4's gameplay is half as satisfying as the gameplay in TLOU.

pizzacat

Banned
Man don't even compare UC to how gears moves. Playing from th UC4 beta they got more ideas from gears this time around but damn it wished it moved like gears

And the previous games I only finished 3, never tried 1 and laughed at the yetis from 2 so much I stopped. I know now that there's some type of twist but lol I just couldn't continue, also playing through the beginning again wasn't cool especially later on since they just became sponges

The set pieces were cool but all I remember is how frustrating the combat was getting at those points. Like fuck the train sequence to the chopper

def sim

I meant 10AM. :x

I see it does say release is 6 hours from now in the store, though that isn't always accurate. Release on the daily store refresh is likely.

the combat is actually the weakest aspect of the series. first game had really horrible bullet spongy enemies (fixed for HD). they actually rectified this for the sequel with the human enemies but those blue guys had the same issue. people wanted more exploration even when it first came out. I still remember the discussions about it.

I definitely saw some improvement when I went on to 2, but it still ended up being "Oh great....another gun battle." for me. I played 1 and 2 nearly back to back so a pause in between probably could have helped with that a lot.

Totally fair. 2 and 3 had amazing set pieces and just pushed the boundaries of what you saw in games. Generally buildings collapsing or falling out of a plane were a cutscene or a QTE, but in Uncharted you played them. This is less relevant now though.

I also like the story, gunplay and enjoying the graphics. But I get it's not for everyone, especially the gunplay.

The few moments of exploring around and finding the different ways to climb to a certain place with different set pieces were great, I just wish it would have been pieced together with different game mechanics than shoot/run. At least they fixed whatever issues I had for TLOU. The combat sometimes got annoying, but it was nothing in comparison.

LiK

Man don't even compare UC to how gears moves. Playing from th UC4 beta they got more ideas from gears this time around but damn it wished it moved like gears

And the previous games I only finished 3, never tried 1 and laughed at the yetis from 2 so much I stopped. I know now that there's some type of twist but lol I just couldn't continue, also playing through the beginning again wasn't cool especially later on since they just became sponges

UC combat is basically just a cover shooter and their influence was Gears. but of course they played differently because Drake isn't some big brawny dude. UC3 is my least favorite in the series mainly because of the aiming issue at launch. I beat it before they patched it with alt aiming in options.

pizzacat

Banned
Tbh that's how I felt with TLOU each time it's an infected segment. At least the humans were dumb enough to poke their heads out in firefights and I could just pick them up as a body bag without worrying about them tearing my face off

LiK

Tbh that's how I felt with TLOU each time it's an infected segment. At least the humans were dumb enough to poke their heads out in firefights and I could just pick them up as a body bag without worrying about them tearing my face off

the insta-kill deaths in TLoU were more annoying than tense for me. I have to say I'm on the side where I felt the combat in TLoU became a chore more than fun. some of the gun battles later in the game were ridiculously long and had way too many enemies.

pizzacat

Banned
I mean it's weird because I enjoyed UC2 pre ak patch and uc3 and tlou pre dumb p2w items for implemented. ND seems to ruin their mp, hopefully they don't get dumb with UC4

Talking about random games and complaints: Really wish there was some button to turn off idle facts dialogue in 999.

Maybe they become relevant later, but jesus christ come up with a different way to implement them than randomly talking about shit while I'm trying to escape a damn freezer.

StoveOven

Banned
The real-time replay idea in SUPERHOT is awesome. Looking forward to the Xbox One release.

Also, The Last of Us has fantastic gameplay and Uncharted has its moments too when the level design matches the mechanics.

LiK

I mean it's weird because I enjoyed UC2 pre ak patch and uc3 and tlou pre dumb p2w items for implemented. ND seems to ruin their mp, hopefully they don't get dumb with UC4

I'm worried about UC4 MP because of all the microtransaction stuff. UC2 MP was so much fun. didn't get into UC3 MP.

Talking about random games and complaints: Really wish there was some button to turn off idle facts dialogue in 999.

Maybe they become relevant later, but jesus christ come up with a different way to implement them than randomly talking about shit while I'm trying to escape a damn freezer.

I don't want to say too much but I'll say that it's not idle facts.

Naughty Dog has shown that when they accidentally make a good MP game, they immediately break it with either terrible updates, P2W fucking garbage, or in some special cases both.

They had one of the greatest MP experiences in the last few years with TLOU and totally fucked it up with P2W bullshit. I honestly can't wait to see how they fuck MP up this time around.

Jintor

I'm afraid this is one area where you're just going to have to go "Oh, 999, what a delightfully weird quirk you have".

Between that and the gore fixation (which I missed in VLR actually), probably the least good bits of 999's writing.

That single man spoilercast Youtube's Patrick Klepek did was great.

pizzacat

Banned
Man 999 is great but VLR just takes everything to the 15th gear, and it helps you in playing it like 20 times for the right endings unlike 999

The infected become really easy to handle once you realise how OP bricks/bottles are, chuck it at an infected to stun them and the just sprint up to them and do an instant takedown.

pizzacat

Banned
God damn Jeff was a savage this podcast

Going for jugular on majoras mask

Calling Brad out with Phil Spencer's tweet

Being correct on top Zeldas

Man 999 is great but VLR just takes everything to the 15th gear, and it helps you in playing it like 20 times for the right endings unlike 999
VLR takes the gruesome out and cranks the fanservice up in ways that are kind of a bummer. It's good to see that ZE3 is going back to 999's style, I appreciate what VLR adds to the lore and some of the batshit crazy things that occurred in it but really missed how sanitized it felt when compared to its predecessor

I'm afraid this is one area where you're just going to have to go "Oh, 999, what a delightfully weird quirk you have".

Between that and the gore fixation (which I missed in VLR actually), probably the least good bits of 999's writing.

That single man spoilercast Youtube's Patrick Klepek did was great.

I'll have to remember to check this out.

They're not puzzle related (for the most part) so it's probably okay if you mashed through them. But they are pretty crucial to the story in places.

Haven't mashed through because they seemed a tiny bit relevant, just annoying. "Oh did you figure out how to get out? Let me tell you this long ass story first."

Jintor

VLR takes the gruesome out and cranks the fanservice up in ways that are kind of a bummer. It's good to see that ZE3 is going back to 999's style, I appreciate what VLR adds to the lore and some of the batshit crazy things that occurred in it but really missed how sanitized it felt when compared to its predecessor

yeah vlr is a great game and its mechanical improvements are much appreciated but it's just not nearly as cool and freaky as 999 even if phi and luna are great

pizzacat

Banned
Yea, there's a bunch of "I did something really fucking savage like right now" and it's a tell and not show type of thing in VLR. Still I'll take it with how crazy things get in it

LiK

yea, VLR improved the gameplay but the surprise twists and dread was not as good as 999. of course, it's hard to be surprised as much because the expectations with VLR was a known quantity for anyone who played 999. and sadly the devs admitted that they toned down VLR's subject matter because of feedback in Japan.

Jintor

yea, VLR improved the gameplay but the surprise twists and dread was not as good as 999. of course, it's hard to be surprised as much because the expectations with VLR was a known quantity for anyone who played 999. and sadly the devs admitted that they toned down VLR's subject matter because of feedback in Japan.

now that we're certain ze3 exists so glad they straight up said "We're doing the other thing now".

fuck man... that's this year, right? Fuck man. Zero Escape. God damn. Maybe I'll replay 999 this year.

now that we're certain ze3 exists so glad they straight up said "We're doing the other thing now".

fuck man... that's this year, right? Fuck man. Zero Escape. God damn. Maybe I'll replay 999 this year.

I pretty much never preorder games but I preordered the hell out of that one

also that watch is going on ebay

How hard is it to buy 999 these days?

they reprinted it, you can buy brand new copies on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VR5PPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The news about the Zero Escape room in LA made me finally go back and play this. Gave it a try forever ago and gave up for some reason.

LiK

yea, really excited to see where ZE3 goes. let's see if they can mindfuck me again.

How hard is it to buy 999 these days?

there was a reprint about 2 years ago, iirc. shouldn't be too hard to find or rather, not as expensive used because of that.

Frith

I have seen that in other videos... it just seems they are doing the game a disservice.

i dunno dude like you say i've seen (and played) the shooting before but they've put something weird and awesome around it i've gone from interested to counting the hours

LiK

not hard, and there's also the novel version on ios, too. That's actually how i played it as i didn't have a 3DS/DS at the time and wanted to play through it since i had already received VLR as part of ps+.

how was your experience on iOS? it's hard for me to grasp the same kind of mindfuckness playing it as a pure VN only especially for several puzzles in particular.

I'm really glad I went into 999 completely blind back in the day. had no real expectations and it was one of the first VNs I ever played. totally floored me.

Does the iOS version have an upper and lower window?

nope, it does not. It has zero of the puzzles, too. It's literally a novel, only it still has endings and a flow chart so you can quickly start replaying the game after an ending.

The twist still worked for me though i can totally understand why people would push for newcomers to play the DS version given how it takes the DS's setup into account. I didn't have that option at the time so the novel did the trick

how was your experience on iOS? it's hard for me to grasp the same kind of mindfuckness playing it as a VN only especially for several puzzles in particular.

I'm really glad I went into 999 completely blind back in the day. had no real expectations and it was one of the first VNs I ever played. totally floored me.

well it's one of those thing that how the twist works out in the OG version wouldn't really bother you if you didn't know any better, right? From a pure storytelling standpoint, it's perfectly fine. And, honestly, with how annoying some of the puzzles were in VLR, i kinda wished it had a novel version, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom