• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doop

Even as someone who strongly dislikes Bethesda games, Shivering Isles was cool because it was fucking weird

Morrowind and Shivering Isles are the high points of TES for me. The Dragonborn expansion in Skyrim was cool, but it didn't have that same charm. The last quest was so buggy I had to load a save from several hours before, which really killed the whole thing for me.

Xater

I have no recollection about anything I am seeing in this TP QL. I really did not care for the game at the time and it really didn't leave any impression as it seems.

popo

I actually thought Jeff's "learn Japanese" comment was pretty dumb, which makes me feel gross as I don't want to share any opinions with those toxic reddit fuckwits.

Guess Who

Banned
I love you Jeff, but your opinions on Sonic 3 are unforgivably wrong.

Except that the art style was a step back. That is a correct opinion.

tchocky

What and where was his original comment?

Some posts on twitter

Back in my day, if someone was pissed off about a game translation, they learned Japanese and started importing instead of whining forever.

If you care _that_ much about experiencing content that might be lost in translation, play it in the original. Import the hardware.

Then when people say “subs or dubs” you can just say FUCK THAT, DOG, I’M SMARTER THAN ALL THAT I LEARNED JAPANESE.

I’m not saying anything controversial here. If you care that much about Japanese culture, I'd think you’d be dying to learn the language.

Games and other Japanese content have been altered in translation for decades. If that’s a real problem for you, sidestep it! Right?

(The other backdoor benefit to importing is sending the message that you want the original versions intact, too, ya know?)

Anyway, I feel like I missed my window on that stuff. Segagaga was probably the last time I was seriously bummed about not knowing Japanese.

Duders, I need your help. I asked this in the PSN thread but to no avail ..

I'm looking for open environment PS4 or XB1 games without a lot of controls. I want to find some games my 4 year old niece can help me with. We've had success so far with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Rocket League, and Grow Home. Conversely, Zen Pinball and Lego Marvel Avengers (too many controls) have been a failure.

Also, Disney Infinity 3.0 is on sale on PSN right now - do I need physical toys for that or can I get by with just whatever that digital item is?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I actually thought Jeff's "learn Japanese" comment was pretty dumb, which makes me feel gross as I don't want to share any opinions with those toxic reddit fuckwits.
It's disappointing that he focuses so much on the loudest people crying. To those, who care maybe too much, it's actually sensible advice, but that's a minority.

I noticed him doing this more and more. Like, yeah, the internet is terrible for outrage, but sometimes there's actually a discussion at the bottom and I actually go to GB to get away from the toxic BS.

What and where was his original comment?
He posted more on tumblr
http://jeff.zone/post/140050973141/if-i-could-snap-my-fingers-and-learn-japanese-i
http://jeff.zone/post/140061133756/i-encourage-you-not-to-fall-into-the-trap-of

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I'm looking for open environment PS4 or XB1 games without a lot of controls. I want to find some games my 4 year old niece can help me with. We've had success so far with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Rocket League, and Grow Home. Conversely, Zen Pinball and Lego Marvel Avengers (too many controls) have been a failure.

The witness?

Kids love puzzles.

tchocky

Also, Disney Infinity 3.0 is on sale on PSN right now - do I need physical toys for that or can I get by with just whatever that digital item is?

Flower and Journey

Jintor

duder's not wrong tbh

i mean... if you're saying "oh, the localisers localised this the wrong way" but you don't know japanese, what leg are you standing on exactly? another localiser's...

on the other hand, any thought that begins with BACK IN MY DAY sends up red flags automatically

Guess Who

Banned
it should surprise no one, really, that most of the people whining about localization ruining the integrity of the original japanese don't actually know anything about japanese (or about localization, for that matter).

jaina

Yes Journey. I also think Chariot (co-op) could work, if that 2D plane is an open environment.
If I remember correctly, only the PC version of Infinity doesn't need physical figures and has them as DLC.

i mean... if you're saying "oh, the localisers localised this the wrong way" but you don't know japanese, what leg are you standing on exactly? another localiser's...

it should surprise no one, really, that most of the people whining about localization ruining the integrity of the original japanese don't actually know anything about japanese (or about localization, for that matter).

Most of the people complaining about localizations are the very people who can't experience the game in its original format on their own and thus rely on the localizations? The people that complain about the thing are the people that want/need the thing?

Wow.

Myggen

It's disappointing that he focuses so much on the loudest people crying. To those, who care maybe too much, it's actually sensible advice, but that's a minority.

I noticed him doing this more and more. Like, yeah, the internet is terrible for outrage, but sometimes there's actually a discussion at the bottom and I actually go to GB to get away from the toxic BS.

I'm not so sure there's much of a discussion at the bottom of this one. At the end of the day how I read Jeff's opinion on this is that this is about companies trying to earn money in different markets and not any "agendas". So it's what it's always been basically.

Jintor

Most of the people complaining about localizations are the very people who can't experience the game in its original format on their own and thus rely on the localizations? The people that complain about the thing are the people that want/need the thing?

Wow.

The problem isn't that they need the localisation. The problem is that they feel compelled to say they're missing something but often have no idea how true that is, whether it's true at all, or even if it matters.

The people who do understand Japanese and think Treehouse is going about it the wrong way have a better leg to stand on, but the people relying off their translations to be outraged are themselves relying on yet another localisation, so that's kind of weird, yeah? If they don't trust the Treehouse, why do they trust the others over them? Is it because they know what they're reading, or because they have an idea about what the source material is that they believe it to be?

Antiwhippy

Cultural context does matter also. Maybe not for something where the appeal is to be japanese as fuck like what xseed deals in, but for nintendo they are trying to make games for a global audience.

Of course we shouldn't want a 4kids situation, but eh, I understand why some things translate well but why some things just don't. Whether you think that they've made the right decision is entirely up to you. They've made their bet and it's not inherently incorrect.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The start of this UPF is basically the good part of Demo Derby. I'm alright with this.

Sonic 3&K is the best Sonic and literally everyone disputing this needs psychiatric help

Sonic 2 was the last good Sonic game.

I'm always nostalgic for the 90s til I watch a Demo Derby or something like that Electric Playground video and then I'm grossed out by it. 'Extreme!' everything, fish eye lenses, pleather, long hair, graffiti-esque text, etc. Still love watching that stuff though.

Myggen

I'm always nostalgic for the 90s til I watch a Demo Derby or something like that Electric Playground video and then I'm grossed out by it. 'Extreme!' everything, fish eye lenses, pleather, long hair, graffiti-esque text, etc. Still love watching that stuff though.

Yeah, the 90s was the worst in many ways.

demidar

The problem isn't that they need the localisation. The problem is that they feel compelled to say they're missing something but often have no idea how true that is, whether it's true at all, or even if it matters.

The people who do understand Japanese and think Treehouse is going about it the wrong way have a better leg to stand on, but the people relying off their translations to be outraged are themselves relying on yet another localisation, so that's kind of weird, yeah? If they don't trust the Treehouse, why do they trust the others over them? Is it because they know what they're reading, or because they have an idea about what the source material is that they believe it to be?

I agree with Jeff's comment about learning Japanese if you (general you) cared so much (that was Jeff who said that right?). ANY translation, no matter how faithful to the source language, will lose meaning. Translation is an inherently lossy process because languages are complicated and not 1:1 and also take into account cultural and historical context that can be easily missed without immersion.

Cultural context does matter also. Maybe not for something where the appeal is to be japanese as fuck like what xseed deals in, but for nintendo they are trying to make games for a global audience.

Totally, some stuff has to end up being changed during the course of localisation because it might not play in other territories, it might be nice if a company didn't have to do this but it makes total sense why they would.

Zaph

0uVP7go.gif

pizzacat

Banned

Of course we shouldn't want a 4kids situation, but eh, I understand why some things translate well but why some things just don't. Whether you think that they've made the right decision is entirely up to you. They've made their bet and it's not inherently incorrect.
i mean 4kids wasn't all that bad, even as a current one piece reader who watched a bit of the 4kids one when it was airing here got turned off for like years and finally came back to it, I can admit they came up with the best piece of music in a while

lyrical genius

Also people still sing it to this day

For yakuza 5 they changed the quiz show questions to something Westerners should be able to answer. I demand a retranslation and the head of gio corsi.

Wow.

Then wait for a fan translation if it matters that much to you. Otherwise read about the changes elsewhere, say "oh isn't that an interesting divergence," and move on. Localization is fucking hard work man, and my understanding is that the changes made weren't even that important. It's just one of those internet flash-in-the-pan outrages.

Antiwhippy

Boy I sure wish I can be outraged at the localisation.

You know, because then I can have the game to see what the localisation is.

Right, NoE?

daydream

Banned
The Fire Emblem localization seems pretty great to me 10 hours in *shrug*

it's not about the writing for the people that are complaining. like jintor said, they don't speak japanese so as long as it sounds halfway acceptable and is quotable for tweets, it's fine. it's not like they could tell even if the translation was miles away from the original. this is about certain features, certain items (often cosmetic in nature), easter eggs, whatever you wanna call them. 'tangible' stuff and not things that would require, you know, any aesthetic sensitivity to critique like writing does

anyway, i say this just as an observation about the vocal minority, i don't have an opinion on face-touching either way

actually, i do. unless we're romantically involved, please don't touch my face

Jintor

oh my god i can't fucking breath

Boy I sure wish I can be outraged at the localisation.

You know, because then I can have the game to see what the localisation is.

Right, NoE?

exactly.

though i hope they don't mess with the treehouse localisation for pal release. Not because for some purity of japanese story reasons, but because i still remember that advance wars dark conflict (PAL version of AW4) was absolute boring shit compared to days of ruin (US version). Splatoon too, to a lesser extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom