• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

I don't see what's wrong with what Jeff said. If your complaint is that the localization is untrue to the developer's vision, wouldn't the best way to experience it be to play it in the original language?

To put words in everyone's mouths, what Ethan Carter man is saying isn't equivalent. If Jeff was saying don't complain about localization unless you can do better he would have a point. Jeff is saying if the most important thing to you is that the devs original vision remains unchanged, your best bet is experiencing the game in its original form, which in this case means learning Japanese and importing it. Any translation/localization/etc changes the work in some way. If you think that's wrong, then you should experience it in the original form.

oti

Banned
I don't see what's wrong with what Jeff said. If your complaint is that the localization is untrue to the developer's vision, wouldn't the best way to experience it be to play it in the original language?

I understand wanting to experience something as close as what the artist envisioned as possible. However, asking for Nintendo to not localize (as in not just translate) the game and therefore not open it up to the vast majority of potential players who do not understand Japanese culture as much as that small group is a very limited world view and downright selfish.

patapuf

As someone who has to occasionally translate business stuff...

If you want a 1:1 representation of the original intent you are better off learning the original language. 1:1 translations are the worst kind.

As someone who has to occasionally translate business stuff...

If you want a 1:1 representation of the original intent you are better off learning the original language. 1:1 translations are the worst kind.

There's a reason that a lot of the time you have localization people that don't speak the original language. Speaking two languages doesn't mean you can gracefully take text from one and turn it into the other. Someone asked me to explain the difference between みんな and 全員 and I realized I didn't have the English words to express what I implicitly know about the two words. The only time a sane person needs a 1:1 translation is if they are actively learning one of those languages

Persona can be tough to follow with what I assume are straight Japanese translations (asking you regional stuff, for example; or even worse: defining Japanese phrases for an exchange student, argh.) but that series wouldn't really work without the locale it's set in either.

Translation is tough.

pizzacat

Banned
was it really though?
was it REALLY though?
It was a cool way to get that gears 3 beta early from someone who was buying it because they actually like it

Also what is that vanishing of Ethan carter guy on about? GB doesn't even use a 10 star basis lmaoo

Tubobutts

It was a cool way to get that gears 3 beta early from someone who was buying it because they actually like it

Also what is that vanishing of Ethan carter guy on about? GB doesn't even use a 10 star basis lmaoo

Giantbomb also didn't review Ethan Carter. And gave Bulletstorm a 4/5.

Persona can be tough to follow with what I assume are straight Japanese translations (asking you regional stuff, for example; or even worse: defining Japanese phrases for an exchange student, argh.) but that series wouldn't really work without the locale it's set in either.

Translation is tough.
Amusingly, nich maragos worked on both that and Fates, but he's been branded skeleton scum so

Oh god is this just a gg thing?

TraBuch

Banned
All this localization talk is boring, I'ma go listen to the greatest album of the 2010's for the 30th time, Born to Die by Lana Del Rey.

As someone who has generally lived by the motto "if you want something done right, do it yourself," I take no beef with what either Jeff or Ethan Carter dude is saying.

yami4ct

The way this localization talk has gone down sucks. It's like someone let out all the worst parts of GBATemp.

Nah, it's vanilla Destiny at Newegg.

I saw that too. If it was TTK, I might've considered. I could have gotten TTK for like $8 around Christmas, but didn't end up doing it. I just don't think I want to get into Destiny. Still, a free copy of that might've been too good to pass up.

4RwHvPB0.jpg

Lunar FC

What does Yo-Kai do better? I'm itching for anything better than pokémon.

Better sense of adventure and variety in my opinion. More interesting world. Yes the battle system is dumbed down but it's a great experiance nonetheless. Can't wait for the sequel to come stateside.

make the graphics better and dumb down the battle system? sounds like a ubisoft game

Now just imagine the pokemon battle system inside of better world, better characters, better writing and all around more variety.

When I went to video games live in Austin a few years ago, I got to go up on stage for a live SMash Bros Melee thing, and I was only a few feet away from Tommy Tallarico. It was the highlight of my life

I still don't understand what's going on with those sunglasses. Is that like a brace above them to hold them in place, or what?
I won't be satisfied until there is a Vinny controlled Kerbal on every planet in the Kerbal System.
You know the saying...

"To save a kerbal lost in space, one must first conquer the galaxy."

I still don't understand what's going on with those sunglasses. Is that like a brace above them to hold them in place, or what?

You know the saying...

"To save a kerbal lost in space, one must first conquer the galaxy."

Well the could take the methodical path and build space stations and refueling stations throughout the solar system. They do have that one guy orbiting the sun by now.

The only memory I have of Pokemon Yellow was being in Malaysia for Chinese New Year in a new house and only my gameboy and after painstakingly training my Pikachu and Pidgey to like level 18 I managed to defeat Brock with Quick Attack spam. The next few gyms were much easier and managed to get to Erika.

One day I loaded up my game and saw the save said "AAAAAA" and 0 badges. Confused I loaded it up and it was an entirely new save, my progress was totally wiped. At the time there was construction happening daily so I imagine one of the construction workers found my gameboy while I wasn't looking and just mashed A and erased my game. It was a trying time.

There must be some psychology study about the deep drive for people to save when fooling around with a Pokemon game for 5 minutes.

It's the bubble wrap of video game behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom