• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But No Man#s Sky is an indie game. How can it be an indie game if it costs 60$? Indie games shouldn't be that expansive. It should cost 10-15$ like all the other Indie games. The team behind it isn't even that big, why is it so expansive?
I'm not paying 60$ for a game developed by a small number of people, how dumb do you think I am?

Man, if we price games according to the team size I wonder how much ubisoft games would cost.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Without the internet I would have never figured out that the Water Temple is horrible.
I'm serious here, as a kid I never had any issues with it although they are pretty obvious once you think about it. But all I remembered about the water temple was how cool the Dark Link fight was and how cool the longer Hookshot was

That's because the water temple is totally fine and actually an amazing temple design and for some reason "water temple is hard" just became a meme. Nothing in Ocarina is particularly hard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
and another aside, I think Far Cry Primal is the best looking game I've played this generation. Far Cry games have always been 'eh it looks nice' to me but something about the combination of artstyle, lighting, character models, fur, and how smooth it runs on PC is just a perfect melting pot. I really wish I took screenshots of the Owl guide mission on Very High settings because I was just mouth ajar at how gorgeous it was.

All that said, there's still a very odd mental block in place where a game that you download seems like it shouldn't be 60 dollars. I'm still guilty of it too, where buying a full priced game on Steam just seems...weird. I don't think consumer minds are fully invested in the digital future quite yet, as far as price is concerned.

Well that's not quite the same thing. I'm fine with a game being full priced, but Steam conditioned me in the early years to wait until they gouge the price down to sub-$20 because that's what happens in those craaaaazy sales. But that's not the case any more, and it'll still be a while until I wrap my head around that.

No this stuff about NMS is just people bitching without reason. Because they're indie they can't charge more than $30.

Zaph

All that said, there's still a very odd mental block in place where a game that you download seems like it shouldn't be 60 dollars. I'm still guilty of it too, where buying a full priced game on Steam just seems...weird. I don't think consumer minds are fully invested in the digital future quite yet, as far as price is concerned.
My mind was fully vested in digital before steam was even a thing. Getting rid of my physical collection was such a relief given how ephemeral I find most games.

That said, I completely expect this to bite me in the arse one day. Consumer law is getting there, but there's still a ways to go.

Curufinwe

Dark Souls 3 sounds great but it's coming too close to the BB expansion for me. I think I'll wait till summer to pick it up.

Dirt Rally and UC4 are the next big games I plan on getting.

That's because the water temple is totally fine and actually an amazing temple design and for some reason "water temple is hard" just became a meme. Nothing in Ocarina is particularly hard.

Yeah, when I revisited Ocarina a few years after it came out the Water Temple was super easy to navigate if you just pay attention to your map and such.

(Now on the other hand, there was some bullshit temple in Link's Awakening that involved moving these marbles around that I remember being a complete fucking nightmare.)

yami4ct

I really hope we can see more price fluidity as time goes on. As someone who loves a lot of niche JRPGs and VNs that are always on the brink of not coming over, I would totally be willing to pay $20 or maybe $30 extra to ensure those things keep going. I would gladding pay $80 for a Trails in the Sky game or a VN made by Uchikoshi.

Oh that thread is going to keep on giving for a long time.

I don't care that it's made by an indie team. The content itself is largely procedural generation, which I don't value highly due to my experience with other games that rely too much on it.

Why are people saying SUPERHOT is the most innovative game ever?

Because the internet hyperbole arms race has made just calling things "unique" or "interesting" too tame. Gotta ratchet your descriptions up to 11 or nobody will pay attention!

Or because of the reason those guys said, which is somehow an even shittier reason.

Teddified

The talk about Quantum Break made me think about how Let's Plays will handle such a game. If they'll cut out the "TV" show parts or just keep them in. Cause that's like 20 min of just watching a TV show with somebody commenting on it.

Curufinwe

It really depends on the game. I had no problem downloading Diablo 4 and Bloodborne for $60 each because I knew I would love them and get 50 hours plus out of them.

For games I'm not desperate to play at launch I will wait for deals and big price drops. Like Arkham Knight where $25 was the sweet spot.

The other weird part is people saying "well now I'm going to wait for reviews" as if it's some sort of punishment and not something that you should do with literally every video game

Oh... okay.

Well, maybe it is innovative. Kinda distasteful.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but in the context of the game, it fits. I don't wanna say more than that other than "superhot.exe" itself exists in the game world and it's more of a plot thing than a genuine push for people to advertise the game.

yami4ct

The talk about Quantum Break made me think about how Let's Plays will handle such a game. If they'll cut out the "TV" show parts or just keep them in. Cause that's like 20 min of just watching a TV show with somebody commenting on it.

I suppose it would heavily depend on the LPer and their audience. I mean, QB isn't the only game with 20 minute cutscenes. Giant Bomb recently played through all the MGS stuff and those can get right up there. The audience likes their commentary, so they enjoy it. It all depends on what the audience wants.

pizzacat

Banned
Would be hilarious if they get dmc a strikes over that for some reason

Bowlie

Banned
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but in the context of the game, it fits. I don't wanna say more than that other than "superhot.exe" itself exists in the game world and it's more of a plot thing than a genuine push for people to advertise the game.

Yeah, I was thinking it was the latter. Thanks for clarifying!

Teddified

I suppose it would heavily depend on the LPer and their audience. I mean, QB isn't the only game with 20 minute cutscenes. Giant Bomb recently played through all the MGS stuff and those can get right up there. The audience likes their commentary, so they enjoy it. It all depends on what the audience wants.

True, I guess it just feels different to me because it's live action instead of a 20 min ingame cutscene.

The other weird part is people saying "well now I'm going to wait for reviews" as if it's some sort of punishment and not something that you should do with literally every video game

Because waiting for reviews is actually something weird for a lot of people. You buy the game day 1 so you can talk about how cool it is with your friends, or be a part of that conversation. There's an implication that not waiting for reviews means the game has demonstrated to the person that it's worth their investment up front, without waiting for other sources to weigh in on it.

yami4ct

Two of my favorite games of all time, Persona 4 and Etrian Odyssey IV, are getting sequels this year. It's just dawning on me how cool that is. It's fucking rad.

True, I guess it just feels different to me because it's live action instead of a 20 min ingame cutscene.

Games have experimented with FMV before. It's a different presentation, sure, but they are functionally identical.

I disagree. I rarely find myself agreeing with the overall reviews for games so why would I bother waiting for reviews? I can do enough research on pre-release footage/gameplay on my own to make my own judgement.

Notch's Twitter account is something else right now. I fully expect someone to make a thread about it (perhaps many, with most or all being closed by mods). Unless he was hacked (or joking), he claims to
be a Gamergate member

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Notch's Twitter account is something else right now. I fully expect someone to make a thread about it (perhaps many, with most or all being closed by mods). Unless he was hacked (or joking), he claims to
be a Gamergate member

i mean
Notch.jpg

Whenever a developer gives a month without a date I don't actually believe them, so I would be more than satisfied with a date coming out of Thursday

Yeah I think it's a reasonable assumption. I shouldn't expect any more than that, else I be disappointed. My nightmare scenario is them announcing VR support exclusively for PSVR.

Bowlie

Banned
I disagree. I rarely find myself agreeing with the overall reviews for games so why would I bother waiting for reviews? I can do enough research on pre-release footage/gameplay on my own to make my own judgement.

Yup. I read reviews to see if someone whose opinions I respect had a different experience or interpretation about the game.

I know if I'm gonna like a game or not.

yami4ct

Yeah I think it's a reasonable assumption. I shouldn't expect any more than that, else I be disappointed. My nightmare scenario is them announcing VR support exclusively for PSVR.

If No Man's Sky has a VR mode (and I'm honestly not 100% sure adding VR to that game would work the way people want it to), I'm almost certain it will at least be timed exclusive to PSVR.

Notch's Twitter account is something else right now. I fully expect someone to make a thread about it. Unless he was hacked (or joking), he claims to
be a Gamergate member

Nah, not joking at all. He's been kinda trending in that direction for a while now with some of his comments.

Oh that thread is going to keep on giving for a long time.

which thread

post links people dammit

Nah, not joking at all. He's been kinda trending in that direction for a while now with some of his comments.

Too bad, them goobergabbers are fucking assholes.

But I'm not surprised Notch is in taht direction, I remember an instance where an indie dev was begging and insulting Notch for money because he's a billionaire, then blamed him that he hated/disliked her because she was trans and that she has bills to pay and to really cut her a check

Yup. I read reviews to see if someone whose opinions I respect had a different experience or interpretation about the game.

I know if I'm gonna like a game or not.

I don't mean to slam anyone that waits for reviews though. That's totally cool if you wanna wait.

Like you, I also read reviews to see people's opinions I care about/respect when it comes to a certain game or just reading for entertainment value.

Bowlie

Banned
I don't mean to slam anyone that waits for reviews though. That's totally cool if you wanna wait.

Like you, I also read reviews to see people's opinions I care about/respect when it comes to a certain game or just reading for entertainment value.

Haha, yeah; I didn't mean to say they're wrong. It's just my way of consuming games/reviews.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Notch's transformation into Ultimate Edgelord has finally completed. He's against "the sissification of society" so you know he's legit. PC culture has gone crazy! Poor Stephen Fry was bullied off of twitter! Won't someone think of the rich white men with millions of followers on twitter?!

Curufinwe

The NMS thread gave me the chance to finally use a Simpson image I had often thought of using, but was only able to find thru Frinkiac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom