• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow between notch, people not having a fucking clue what gender studies is or means and breaking it down into "pro paedophilia", and me reading an incredible depressing article on MRAs in the australian family court system it's been a bad hour or so for my faith in humanity.

and i haven't even checked the actual news yet

well I have good news

Trump Stumped Cruz and Rubio single-handedly
Hillary cooled down the Bern
uhhhhhh

I've reached 100k saltybucks (again) on saltybet? Good news!

Good news!
1vEG4CA.gif

yami4ct

wow between notch, people not having a fucking clue what gender studies is or means and breaking it down into "pro paedophilia", and me reading an incredible depressing article on MRAs in the australian family court system it's been a bad hour or so for my faith in humanity.

If you're in the US or even remotely attached to US politics, maybe don't.

It's rough out there.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm still so pumped about finally beating The Binding of Isaac with The Lost. That game is so great.

Why the hell isn't the expansion available on the PS4 yet?

talking about games

any cool match 3 games that are on the ps4 and I guess Steam? I played Ironcast and I'm itching to play something like it.

yami4ct

talking about games

any cool match 3 games that are on the ps4 and I guess Steam? I played Ironcast and I'm itching to play something like it.

The best match 3 games are all on mobile now and that kind of sucks.

PAD is still all the match 3 I need, so I guess it's a tradeoff.

yami4ct

It's one of those things where the platform is so suited for it that it sort of completely destroys the genre elsewhere.

It sucks, because I like clever match 3 games, but the innovations that really only come from being on a touch screen mobile have opened up some great new gameplay opportunities.

Not to bring up the same game over and over, but the style of gameplay PAD does pretty much requires a touchscreen and it's awesome.

It's one of those things where the platform is so suited for it that it sort of completely destroys the genre elsewhere.

It sucks, because I like clever match 3 games, but the innovations that really only come from being on a touch screen mobile have opened up some great new gameplay opportunities.

Not to bring up the same game over and over, but the style of gameplay PAD does pretty much requires a touchscreen and it's awesome.

i'll never

ever

play pad

never

ever

it's the undertale of mobile games

Do I (We?) talk about it that much?

If so, touche.

PAD is legit one of my top 10 games of all time. I'm not even kidding.

You've brought it up alot. It's not a bad thing, but I just refuse to play that game. I tried playing the DBZ version of it. It felt like a shitshow.

yami4ct

You've brought it up alot. It's not a bad thing, but I just refuse to play that game. I tried playing the DBZ version of it. It felt like a shitshow.

Oh god. The DBZ game isn't even close to PAD quality. It's a cheap knockoff trying to use the format to make money without understanding why it's good.

But as I said, touche. I understand.

I've literally played PAD everyday for over 2 years. When you do that, a game seeps into your conscious in a weird way.

justjim89

It's kind of a midwest thing. It's bread into us that there is nothing worse than being seen as not a normal guy.

As someone who has sort of struggled with this, it's kind of a really shitty cultural artifact.

You're preaching to the choir, I'm a Hoosier.

yami4ct

You're preaching to the choir, I'm a Hoosier.

Your quoting me just made me realize I wrote 'bread' instead of 'bred'. Reading back my own typos always ends up driving me insane.

As a Michigander I've been raised with 2 main ideas

1) Never stick out ever
2) Hate every other midwestern state.

I've been led to believe it's the same elsewhere. You can add a strange obsession with high school sports in there maybe, but I never bought into that one even if it's common.

What's wrong with it?

Talking about Afterbirth right?

The problem is that so much was added in the game that the drop tables are kinda garbage for anything useful. Interaction between things are weird and some stuff is broken, and a lot of the active items got increased time between uses in rooms. There were some weird balancing changes like I mentioned earlier. Head of Krampus is now 6 when it was 4 I think? And it also has a random chance to spin around instead of staying straight which kind of ruins its use in most circumstances.

Oh and Azazel's nerfs too.

jaina

Brad is flying somewhere.

Hm.....I wonder if it's for Dark Souls
I think his flight is already the way back to SF. Jeff talked on mixlr about Brad having to fly out today which is why we got the early cast. And the timing of Alexa's and Brad's tweets is 6 hours apart, IMHO too much to be the same flight. Rather the first is to LA and Brad's row bliss is when flying back to SF.
http://twitter.com/AlexaRayC/status/704737520022454272
http://twitter.com/AlexaRayC/status/704738162669539328
http://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/704835549786460163

TLDR: Don't know why they were in LA.

Doop

Talking about Afterbirth right?

The problem is that so much was added in the game that the drop tables are kinda garbage for anything useful. Interaction between things are weird and some stuff is broken, and a lot of the active items got increased time between uses in rooms. There were some weird balancing changes like I mentioned earlier. Head of Krampus is now 6 when it was 4 I think? And it also has a random chance to spin around instead of staying straight which kind of ruins its use in most circumstances.

Oh and Azazel's nerfs too.

Personally, I love Afterbirth. There's a ton of new interactions with items, good and bad. Also the head of krampus nerf was pre-afterbirth.

I'm interested to see Afterbirth+, I'm really interested in those mod tools.

yami4ct

Any word on when Game Tapes is coming? Got a flight early tomorrow, would be great if it comes out.

That's the talking over press conference one, right? Since it's not on the Upcoming schedule yet, I wouldn't expect it within the next day. For non-live content, it usually is in there at least a day or so before going up.

Lunar FC

It's honestly impressive how little content they manage to put out.

Now that I've run out of old premium content to go through the lack of content is really a bummer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

On the bright side Australian politics is imploding in a way right now that fully exposes how crazy the right wing are.

Now that I've run out of old premium content to go through the lack of content is really a bummer.

I don't understand what they do with most of their work week. I know their setup is a bit more complicated than most sites, it's insane that they go days without putting up anything. I really wish they did something like ScrewAttack that streams everyday at 2PM for 2 Hours (even though I can't stand half of those people) That stuff goes a LONG way for a community. I mean a lot of this is all behind closed doors stuff, and I'm sure they can't really talk about what goes on day to day, but I can't fathom that it's that much effort to have 1 or two people sit down for an hour or two a day and make some content. QL are like an hour usually at most, and they put out a few of those a week, plus 1 UPF and they have two offices. Where does all their time go? Are they in random CBSi meetings for over 80% of the time they are at the office?

Also, if this comes off as me bitching, I'm not, I just genuinely interested to know how a company (that only puts out web content, with little to no editing) manages to go almost half a week without putting out something.

Tubobutts

Vinny actually answered that a while ago. It's pretty interesting.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=153938525

Vinny said:
I'll speak to my role, since, you know... it's mine. I'm head of video for Giant Bomb. Where Jeff is head of editorial, I'm head of video. We both report into the same boss. That means for my part in CBS Interactive, I'm responsible for all our video production. That's costs, technology, archiving, how we're spending man hours, etc. Luckily, I have fantastic producers like Drew and Jason that make my job a lot easier. Being in content is not actually my main responsibility. Making sure there is video content on the site is. I think that's important to remember.

What is my week like? Currently, a lot of it is navigating this studio build and laying the foundation for more content here. Currently we have a lot of issues, from actual studio space, budget, and getting network access. All of these things need solutions. From putting holes in a wall to asking IT to allow access to Xbox Live, everything requires meetings and time. We're still working on getting air conditioning in the studio. The lights went up yesterday.

So Monday, I come in and go through data and emails. If I can I'll usually start playing a game to QL I will. Let's take an actual week. So I'm playing Castle in the Darkness prepping for a QL. Then I jump into Lisa. At about 1:30 there's a meeting with my boss to go over video and whatnot. At 2:00 there's a meeting with Drew and Jason to go over the week in production. I'll play some more to prep. That week happened to be the week our quarterly budget was due, so I probably spent more time working on that.

Tuesday we recorded Castle in the Darkness, Grow Home, and Lisa. Had a meeting from 4-5, probably did more studio crap after that.

Wednesday start prepping Supreme and Darkness Assault. Spent a long time trying to find where Darkness Assault saves, I remember that. Couldn't find it so I had to replay some stuff in the studio. Had a Wednesday meeting 1-2pm. Then I meet with Drew every Wednesday to see how he's doing over there. Not sure where the rest of the day went, but making those quarterly budgets eat up a lot of time.

Thursday we recorded Supreme, there's a weekly meeting with the whole team, and I think I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out why the colorspace on our videos was mismatching. I think I also tried to rig a better baffling solution that week in the studio. Got a new capture device as well. Figure out why one of our capture machines wouldn't record 4 channels of audio (kind of...).

Friday we recorded Darkness Assault and Sunless Sea. Did some other stuff. Can't remember, I actually have to run. Giant Bomb East is not an island. So let me move on.

If corporate is concerned with where their money is spent, I have never heard it. Actually, you're maybe the first person to question my work ethic in my 15 years of doing this. Not offended by it. I can see how a lot of what happens doesn't make it to the public.

We don't have the money to hire someone else to build the studio. That's the short answer and actual one. Who is going to build it? Same reason we don't have someone else to record and post the videos. Or clean the studio. Or fix the 135 problems we run into a day that go into doing content. Everything costs money and we need to stay profitable.

Ok, really have to run! Hopefully, this answers some of your questions! If not, let me know. Happy to share.

--Vinny

What would be enough content? They regularly put around 10 hours of video and 4-6 hours of podcasts out per week.

Lunar FC

What would be enough content? They regularly put around 10 hours of video and 4-6 hours of podcasts out per week.

Personally would just like one piece of video content daily to come home to after school/work and watch while eating some grub. It's like a routine. Much rather watch something new than a TNT from 2010 of them playing Medal of Honor. (Which I did today.)

Quentyn

Jeff said on Mixlr that it was only him and Drew in the office yesterday. Brad was in LA at an event, Jason is out this week and Dan is sick. Drew is working on that Game Tapes thing, so that should go up this week sometime. Probably Thursday or on the weekend.

Vinnyvania should be today if GB East sticks to their recent schedule.

Fjolle

I don't understand what they do with most of their work week. I know their setup is a bit more complicated than most sites, it's insane that they go days without putting up anything. I really wish they did something like ScrewAttack that streams everyday at 2PM for 2 Hours (even though I can't stand half of those people) That stuff goes a LONG way for a community. I mean a lot of this is all behind closed doors stuff, and I'm sure they can't really talk about what goes on day to day, but I can't fathom that it's that much effort to have 1 or two people sit down for an hour or two a day and make some content. QL are like an hour usually at most, and they put out a few of those a week, plus 1 UPF and they have two offices. Where does all their time go? Are they in random CBSi meetings for over 80% of the time they are at the office?

Also, if this comes off as me bitching, I'm not, I just genuinely interested to know how a company (that only puts out web content, with little to no editing) manages to go almost half a week without putting out something.

I think it's just bad timing at the moment.
Yesterday GBWest according to Jefflr:

Brad out doing whatever Brad does.
Jason on vacation.
Drew is busy editing Game Tapes videos and making a studio.
Dan is coughing too much to record any quick looks.
Jeff went to whatever meetings he had to go to and drove home to prepare for a couple of quick looks.

Edit: I have become myggen. I should link to a quick look from last week.

I think it's just bad timing at the moment.
Yesterday GBWest according to Jefflr:

Brad out doing whatever Brad does.
Jason on vacation.
Drew is busy editing Game Tapes videos and making a studio.
Dan is coughing too much to record any quick looks.
Jeff went to whatever meetings he had to go to and drove home to prepare for a couple of quick looks.

Edit: I have become myggen. I should link to a quick look from last week.

Dang that does sound just like crappy timing... but that's this week.... Just like that post from Vinny. Brad normally isn't out, Jason isn't usually on vacation, Dan isn't normally sick enough to not be able to speak into a mic. Jeff normally doesn't get married (I'm assuming that was a huge chuck of time taken to deal with managing a wedding and running a business). Just saying, that stuff isn't the norm, but we deal with content droughts more often than not at this point.

1 piece of content per day would be much better than we are getting. Something to come home to and watch would be perfect at the end of the day. Weekends/Mondays shouldn't be a gaping hole in the full week where we don't get anything, that seems kinda insane in 2016 to me.

Antiwhippy

Dang that does sound just like crappy timing... but that's this week.... Just like that post from Vinny. Brad normally isn't out, Jason isn't usually on vacation, Dan isn't normally sick enough to not be able to speak into a mic. Jeff normally doesn't get married (I'm assuming that was a huge chuck of time taken to deal with managing a wedding and running a business). Just saying, that stuff isn't the norm, but we deal with content droughts more often than not at this point.

1 piece of content per day would be much better than we are getting. Something to come home to and watch would be perfect at the end of the day. Weekends/Mondays shouldn't be a gaping hole in the full week where we don't get anything, that seems kinda insane in 2016 to me.

Didn't we get at minimum one piece of content per working day?

yami4ct

Kerbal has been pretty much been hitting Monday constantly with just a week off here and there. You might not like it, but it's certainly content.

Getting stuff out on Weekends is harder than you'd think. The act of getting a video on the site is more than just hitting go and having it show up. Putting stuff up on a Weekend likely means at least one crew member has to spend their weekend time making sure shit didn't break. That's not really all that reasonable an ask. A few of these guys have families, and even with the others it's not really reasonable to ask them to work weekends just because users want a video a day.

Antiwhippy

I mean last week, we got:

21st : FE Fates
22nd : FC Primal
23rd : Devil Daggers, demo derby
24th: Californium, GBE Playdate
25th: Superhot, garden warfare 2
26th : LoZ TP, Unpro Fridays

It's not the most content rich period of giantbomb but I don't count this as a drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom