• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewDust

So did you guys just see a 9 second clip appear and disappear on the GB youtube feed? All those witty comments, lost, like a Maldonado from the grid...

yami4ct

Hearing Dan talk about his Amiibo collection never fails to make me laugh. Oh Dan. Call us when you start collecting the real crack instead of your silly statues.

7-1.jpg

(This dumb thing is waiting at the post office for me to pick it up).

Even as a major collector of plastic junk, I have zero clue how Dan is buying doubles on accident. Knowing your collection is collecting 101. I have literally hundreds of transformers and a small collection of GunPla and SH Figures and I've never bought a double I didn't specifically intend to buy a double of.

Myggen

So did you guys just see a 9 second clip appear and disappear on the GB youtube feed? All those witty comments, lost, like a Maldonado from the grid...

That sometimes happens, usually with a Formula 1 commercial or whatever it is. It's probably what they use to test stuff, and once in a while it gets published by mistake.

NewDust

That sometimes happens, usually with a Formula 1 commercial or whatever it is. It's probably what they use to test stuff, and once in a while it gets published by mistake.

A I never seen it before, despite looking at my subscriptions quite often. It was indeed said F1 commercial, but I linked that to a picture Danny took not much earlier and the current F1 testing and start of the season in three week. Thought it was a hint for some new alt+F1 content, being published by mistake.

justjim89

Rewatching Ryan and Dave's Morrowind and Oblivion livestream. This is just some good stuff. Never watched Greg's Skyrim stream before, though, cause watching the beginning of vanilla Skyrim sounds kinda uninteresting at this point.

Rewatching Ryan and Dave's Morrowind and Oblivion livestream. This is just some good stuff. Never watched Greg's Skyrim stream before, though, cause watching the beginning of vanilla Skyrim sounds kinda uninteresting at this point.

I did the same thing two days ago, the Skyrim streat is a good thing to have on in the background while working.

Wunder

I am. What's messing you up?

Yep. Beat Birthright and am now playing Conquest. What is the problem?

I'm only playing Normal/Classic but I'm most likely going to be playing Conquest later so I don't really want bad habits to form now - basically the pair up system is super confusing to me since Awakening and Fates hasn't helped my understanding of it much.

I understand dual guard/attack in Fates but what's the idea of when to pair up and when not to? Because of the adjacent units needed for dual attack and the fact that I only had a couple ranged units, I decided to pair up units from the get go. How do I effectively distribute EXP between the two units? I find myself just using characters for their stat boosts and power level the main unit.

What's the basic strategy behind knowing when to dual attack/guard and when not to? Do you separate pairs often? I feel like it's a waste of a turn since separating counts as a move for both units. Sorry if this is hugely off-topic, I can take it to PMs if so!

yami4ct

I'm only playing Normal/Classic but I'm most likely going to be playing Conquest later so I don't really want bad habits to form now - basically the pair up system is super confusing to me since Awakening and Fates hasn't helped my understanding of it much.

I understand dual guard/attack in Fates but what's the idea of when to pair up and when not to? Because of the adjacent units needed for dual attack and the fact that I only had a couple ranged units, I decided to pair up units from the get go. How do I effectively distribute EXP between the two units? I find myself just using characters for their stat boosts and power level the main unit.

What's the basic strategy behind knowing when to dual attack/guard and when not to? Do you separate pairs often? I feel like it's a waste of a turn since separating counts as a move for both units. Sorry if this is hugely off-topic, I can take it to PMs if so!

Basically, Pair-Up is divided into 2 things now, as you've realized. Attack Stance and Defense Stance. Attack Stance is when 2 units are next to each other and one can preform a follow up attack. Defense Stance is the 'pair up' command that gives you extra stats.

For Attack Stance, EXP works like this. If a hit is made by either party, the initiating attacker gets EXP regardless. If the initiating party hits and the back up misses, or the enemy dies on the first hit, only the initiating attacker gets EXP.

As for how to distribute EXP, you shouldn't be using guys you want to level as defense stance partners in most cases. If you want to use defense stance, it's best to have not great units dedicated to that. You can use defense stance and get exp, though. If you want the guy in the back to get EXP, make sure to switch him in and let him get the last hit if possible.

Myggen

I absolutely loved Greg's stream when I watched it back in the day at least. I hope he's able to do another similar stream for the site whenever the new TES game comes out, IIRC he did a stream like that for Oblivion too back in the day.

Bowlie

Banned
I finished watching the gundam movie trilogy and I'm feeling kinda empty.

I'll join you, Jim, and watch them playing through Morrowind.

Wunder

Basically, Pair-Up is divided into 2 things now, as you've realized. Attack Stance and Defense Stance. Attack Stance is when 2 units are next to each other and one can preform a follow up attack. Defense Stance is the 'pair up' command that gives you extra stats.

For Attack Stance, EXP works like this. If a hit is made by either party, the initiating attacker gets EXP regardless. If the initiating party hits and the back up misses, or the enemy dies on the first hit, only the initiating attacker gets EXP.

As for how to distribute EXP, you shouldn't be using guys you want to level as defense stance partners in most cases. If you want to use defense stance, it's best to have not great units dedicated to that. You can use defense stance and get exp, though. If you want the guy in the back to get EXP, make sure to switch him in and let him get the last hit if possible.

So what would be the best way to level under-levelled units or characters I pick up that are low level from the story? (Mozu, Setsuna)

Also, is there a point to pairing up two characters who already have S support if I don't necessarily need the stat boost?

yami4ct

So what would be the best way to level under-levelled units or characters I pick up that are low level from the story? (Mozu, Setsuna)

Also, is there a point to pairing up two characters who already have S support if I don't necessarily need the stat boost?

The best way is to manipulate the fight so they can get the last hit. Find a combo of attacks and weapons that can get the enemy down to low enough health the the low level unit can take them out. You just have to make sure if you do that, you aren't leaving the units in range for other enemy attacks. You can highlight a specific enemy and hit 'A' to keep their range outlined on the map. That's been an invaluable tool for me.

There are other and slower ways to manipulate EXP. You can pair up a unit to the low level guy to increase their stats. You can also let the low level unit initiate an attack stance attack while a heavy hitter actually does damage behind them. That's a good way to get EXP when the enemy has too high Def for the unit to damage.

The only reason to use Defense Stance outside of stats and support is the guard meter. That's the bar of shield icons that fills up under the HP gauge when a unit is paired up. It fills up a bit each time the pair does an attack. When that's full, the next attack the enemy does on the pair will do no damage. This is particularly helpful if you might get one shotted by an enemy, but could kill them in a 2x attack.

Tubobutts

In Birthright you can always scout to find lower level enemies to fight if you have the gold. I didn't use pairing up as much since you lose out on the extra attack. When I did pair up I would switch who the attacker was every so often so they would both get XP since you don't lose the guard meter when the characters switch position.

Wunder

The best way is to manipulate the fight so they can get the last hit. Find a combo of attacks and weapons that can get the enemy down to low enough health the the low level unit can take them out. You just have to make sure if you do that, you aren't leaving the units in range for other enemy attacks. You can highlight a specific enemy and hit 'A' to keep their range outlined on the map. That's been an invaluable tool for me.

There are other and slower ways to manipulate EXP. You can pair up a unit to the low level guy to increase their stats. You can also let the low level unit initiate an attack stance attack while a heavy hitter actually does damage behind them. That's a good way to get EXP when the enemy has too high Def for the unit to damage.

The only reason to use Defense Stance outside of stats and support is the guard meter. That's the bar of shield icons that fills up under the HP gauge when a unit is paired up. It fills up a bit each time the pair does an attack. When that's full, the next attack the enemy does on the pair will do no damage. This is particularly helpful if you might get one shotted by an enemy, but could kill them in a 2x attack.

In Birthright you can always scout to find lower level enemies to fight if you have the gold. I didn't use pairing up as much since you lose out on the extra attack. When I did pair up I would switch who the attacker was every so often so they would both get XP since you don't lose the guard meter when the characters switch position.

Cool! This was super useful, thanks guys :D

yami4ct

Defense Stance becomes much more useful on higher difficulties. You have to be pretty careful with how you place some units in Attack Stance as your units can end up being much more squishy. With Defense Stance, you can create super tanks that charge into the middle of enemy ranks and start wrecking with little worry about the damage.

Tubobutts

Defense Stance becomes much more useful on higher difficulties. You have to be pretty careful with how you place some units in Attack Stance as your units can end up being much more squishy. With Defense Stance, you can create super tanks that charge into the middle of enemy ranks and start wrecking with little worry about the damage.
Even on normal I started using more as I got later in the game. I'm going to replay both on hard once I beat conquest so I'll keep that in mind.

yami4ct

I Attack Stance a lot still on Birthright Hard, but the way I use it is with archers and squishy DPS guys behind tanks at the periphery of a danger field so I can lure enemies in for hard hitting counters. Defense Stance is super useful for maps you can't hang back, because either enemies will overrun you like Birthright Chapter 14 where you're positioned outside a heavily fortified castle or where the enemy is retreating and you have to kill them before they escape, like with archer thieves or Paralogue 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom