• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
that 2001 gamecube tape is VERY aesthetic.

edit: it's completely tripping me out that Jeff and Brad can't immediately call to mind that the second Smash Bros was called Melee. That's the game that game in my weird plastic clam shell combo with the gamecube from costco on my birthday!

Anjin M

Watching Game Tapes, I just remembered that someone online mailed me a copy of that Final Fantasy Chronicles so that I could play Chrono Trigger. Just went to look and I still have that set on my shelf.

Lingitiz

Seeing all those shovelware GBA games makes me realize we don't really get those licensed garbage games as often anymore. Certainly played a few of those...none of them good.

AcridMeat

Banned
Think I might drop $5 and finally finish Beast's Life is Strange this weekend. I know there's a handful of other premium videos backed up I want to see.
Yep. The japanese version of Power Rangers, Super Sentai, and Kamen Rider are actually sister shows. They've aired together in the same block for years. Sentai tends to be focused on younger kids, while KR is more of a show that goes for older kids/young adults. It's usually a bit darker and more complex than Sentai, which I think shows in the complexity of suit designs.

Power Rangers also has to do a whole team of heroes, while KR focuses on 1-3 typically.
Ooh okay, thanks for the info! I've only ever seen a few clips here and there of those various shows. Most recently was just the Fun Punch by Bag Raiders music video again after years which just takes a lot of inspiration from all of those, mainly Power Rangers though.

Jintor

gonna be honest i kinda bounced off life is strange, at least in terms of playing it myself. I think i don't really like these kinds of games anymore... or it stresses me way the fuck out too much in a way other games don't for whatever reason.

Might watch the rest of the playdate though.

fantastic ost tho

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I like the format, but the crew for it is a bit too... dour. Doesn't help that the nature of b-roll means that the video is more dull sound wise.

hamchan

TBH I thought they would be actually watching old conferences and all the spectacle going into that rather than just b-roll with no sound.

M3z_

What is game tapes, explain the concept I don't want to start the video right now, but I have no idea what it is

popo

I am thinking GB has less of a content problem and more of a scheduling problem. I really appreciate the "post it as soon as it is ready" philosophy but having a glut towards the end of the week isn't going to stop people going on a binge and then moaning that there is nothing at the beginning of next week.

Oh, so No Man's Sky was the game Brad saw in LA.

Makes sense.

More sense than having the devs fly in from Guildford and not show it in the one city that already had 90% of the games press and Sony HQ. I guess they wanted to attract mainstream TV.

The info embargoes seem<script id="gpt-impl-0.27959452173672616" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_81.js"></script> so goofy to me when the clock strikes and 20 articles all writing the same thing because they all saw the same event drop

Original purpose will have been to stop IGN like sites writing it up quick and dirty on the plane ride home do that they could publish first. Even IGN seem to be getting away from that sort of thing now though. Kotaku would have likely posted a one paragraph story with a later follow up.

I am thinking GB has less of a content problem and more of a scheduling problem. I really appreciate the "post it as soon as it is ready" philosophy but having a glut towards the end of the week isn't going to stop people going on a binge and then moaning that there is nothing at the beginning of next week.

Yeah but it does make it pretty easy to dismiss those complaints. Seriously, we're at a point where people complain about "content drought" when there's one day without a new video (like this Tuesday).

Someone wrote to Jeff's tumblr a while ago for a set schedule for the Bombcast and Jeff dunked on it pretty hard.
Original purpose will have been to stop IGN like sites writing it up quick and dirty on the plane ride home do that they could publish first. Even IGN seem to be getting away from that sort of thing now though. Kotaku would have likely posted a one paragraph story with a later follow up.
Jeff dunked on this too:
It&#8217;s a pretty standard thing that barely matters unless you&#8217;re dealing with people out in the public who try to sniff out embargo times so they can make a bunch of half-cocked assumptions about the announcements or review scores or whatever based on the embargo.

repeater

Oh my god, I'm only five minutes into the Game Tapes video and it's already clear this series will be feeding GAF with excellent gifs for years.

Jintor

is it possible in 2030 i will look back on the hype videos of 2015 and be all "lol i can't believe I was ever dumb enough to get hype over that shit"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom