• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I know I like what I like. I don't really feel the need to assume everything is mediocre.

you've also reached a point in your life where you've figured out what you like and/or have come to terms with the notion that you don't need external validation for liking the things you like. some people haven't gotten to that point yet. some people never will (neogaf dot com)

it's liberating

You should also visit specific music forums.

Made me never want to discuss music tastes as seriously as I use to do.

there's a couple different ways of discussing music. people arguing the various merits (or lack of) specific acts/albums/songs is fucking worthless and pedantic. discussions where it's like "here are the things I like" or "here's some new music I found" are actually pretty useful in a world where music by and large isn't found in one place anymore and discovery of smaller acts is somewhat difficult

but I have no patience for people telling me I'm wrong for liking something or people trying to convince other people to like something that they like. Deafheaven fans are ridiculous. they're like the new Tool fans. they can't understand why anybody wouldn't like their pet band.

when I encounter opposition to Deafheaven, those aren’t the people I’m talking to. The people I’m talking to are highly educated adults with progressive political and cultural views, people who work in the arts, people who live in New York City. And these people happen to also be insanely passionate metal obsessives with sophisticated, informed, detailed opinions on the genre. So I’ve started asking these people what it is, exactly, that they don’t like about Deafheaven. I’m not going to identify any of them by name — because they’re my friends, and they weren’t being interviewed or anything, we were just talking — but I’m providing some handy illustrations to give you a clearer picture of our conversations.

So again, the question I’m posing to these people, my friends — people who hang out at St. Vitus and read Michel Houellebecq in the original French and get pissed off when an episode of Radiolab is polluted with a Liturgy song — is:

“What is it, exactly, that you don’t like about Deafheaven?”

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
A human actually wrote that stuff about Deafheaven? Dear christ. I'm glad I don't give a shit about (un)popular opinions about music and just listen to what I like.

I LIKE PROGRESSIVE METAL BUT ALSO YELLOWCARD AND PARAMORE DON'T @ ME

you've also reached a point in your life where you've figured out what you like and/or have come to terms with the notion that you don't need external validation for liking the things you like. some people haven't gotten to that point yet. some people never will (neogaf dot com)

it's liberating

Once I had a real, adult-ass job and responsibilities, I was amazed at how quickly my perspective changed. My concerns over stupid bullshit melted away, and I was left a more pleasant, happier person.

Still got my hangups, but I'm far more well-adjusted than when I was even just a few years ago.

A human actually wrote that stuff about Deafheaven? Dear christ. I'm glad I don't give a shit about (un)popular opinions about music and just listen to what I like.

he also wrote some 1200 word essay because he was butthurt that someone put them on a list of "metal bands for people who don't like metal" because he likes metal and he likes Deafheaven.

I actually really like the people at Stereogum who write about metal, the Black Market columns have pointed me to so much great music I would have otherwise missed. but every once in a while...

like what you like. write about why you like it if you want to! don't get offended by or try to shame people who disagree with you for liking different things.

Surprise No Man's Sky content today!

Thirty Minutes With No Man's Sky
ARTICLE ON MAR 03, 2016 11:00 AM (EST)

Four Questions About No Man's Sky
VIDEO ON MAR 03, 2016 11:00 AM (EST)

I'm expecting a lot of NMS news today. Also plenty of hot takes.

there's a couple different ways of discussing music. people arguing the various merits (or lack of) specific acts/albums/songs is fucking worthless and pedantic. discussions where it's like "here are the things I like" or "here's some new music I found" are actually pretty useful in a world where music by and large isn't found in one place anymore and discovery of smaller acts is somewhat difficult

but I have no patience for people telling me I'm wrong for liking something or people trying to convince other people to like something that they like. Deafheaven fans are ridiculous. they're like the new Tool fans. they can't understand why anybody wouldn't like their pet band.

So many of these people get caught up in the pedantic specifics of why everyone else doesn't like what they like...forgetting that for most folks, *especially* for music, it's a very minimally involved gut reaction thing and confronting them about it or listing reasons why they SHOULD like it just completely misses the point. You can tick off all the reasons in the world about a band/artist's technical merits and it's not gonna convince me about their basic listenability.

if you thought the witness drew a hell of a reaction out of certain sectors of the gaming community then you wont want to miss how NMS is received!

It's a retail indie game console exclusive selling at the price of a AAA game. There's no way Gaming side isn't a dumpster fire for a couple of weeks regardless of the quality of that game.

if you thought the witness drew a hell of a reaction out of certain sectors of the gaming community then you wont want to miss how NMS is received!

It's a retail indie game console exclusive selling at the price of a AAA game. There's no way Gaming side isn't a dumpster fire for a couple of weeks regardless of the quality of that game.

probably actually a super smart thing for them to launch it on ps4 first. that way, it avoids a lot of the kneejerk "fuck that price, I'm pirating it" launch day shenanigans.

Kimaka

And I thought discussion around that game couldn't get worse with all the previous "what do you doooo?" derailments.

I have my popcorn bowl at the ready.

I thought NMS was going to be on PC too for some reason.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No way that's a real picture. No way they're making a sequel to that movie

Fortunately I'd just told him about the movie a couple days ago so he was able to ask her. He called it "The most awkward congratulations and thanks I've ever been part of."

CcfQbfFUkAACmW4.jpg

No way that's a real picture. No way they're making a sequel to that movie

this is what happens when you live in a world where it's borderline impossible for any major motion picture to not make a shit ton of money. digital projection/distribution crossed with the obscene amount of money movies of any quality make in china/asia at large makes it foolproof

tl;dr, major motion pictures print money regardless of quality

wonder if NMS's "billion of planets" is borderlands "millions of guns" where there are only really like 5-6 truly different objects that have slight modifications to each that are nearly imperceptible

wonder if NMS's "billion of planets" is borderlands "millions of guns" where there are only really like 5-6 truly different objects that have slight modifications to each that are nearly imperceptible

It's hard to say for sure until release obviously but I remember them talking about their in game robot army that would travel to planets and create little gifs of them which allowed the devs to easily notice when the planet generation code was making things a little to similar. So here's hoping that worked out and there is tons of variety.

I'd say it's going to shake out to probably (lower) triple digits worth of significant differences, just because statistically it'd almost have to be the case

but basically, yes

Have they expanded on the number of biomes that are possible? If there's a full ocean planet somewhere I'm gonna be finding that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom