• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

I don't know if the tape idea is as great as they thought it would be. Mostly B-Roll is not that interesting. Old E3 press-conferences would be more entertaining.

Wunder

I don't know if the tape idea is as great as they thought it would be. Mostly B-Roll is not that interesting. Old E3 press-conferences would be more entertaining.

yeah needs more shitting on dudes in suits. This is pretty good but mainly becomes how familiar they were with the game itself and any memories they had of it rather than just riffing off what people on stage are talking about.

Xater

yeah needs more shitting on dudes in suits. This is pretty good but mainly becomes how familiar they were with the game itself and any memories they had of it rather than just riffing off what people on stage are talking about.

And we would get the same thing from the conferences with the added bonus of having insanity like that shot clip of Gates with the Rock all the time.

popo

I don't think I could watch a whole classic press conference. They can be pretty dry. Remember when Sony used to talk a half hour about sales numbers. It could make a good piece of edited content but I imagine that would be more work for the video guys.

Yeah but it does make it pretty easy to dismiss those complaints. Seriously, we're at a point where people complain about "content drought" when there's one day without a new video (like this Tuesday).

:

It is still pretty light at the start of the week for non-subs. That week Jeff was out was pretty weak. They could also do better at comms too. Shouldn't have to listen to Jeff's commute stream to find out they have staff absences.

At the end of it, people wouldn't complain if they were not in to the site - so a better problem to have than some site that puts out a ton of content that nobody reads or watches.

Sales numbers might not be the most entertaining thing in the world but I think it would be kind of interesting to see sales figures from back then. Also, GB made the past two EA press conferences entertaining so I'm sure they can cope with some time spent on sales figures. Plus if not they can just skip ahead.

hamchan

The first half of Game Tapes was great. The second half with game b-roll with no BGM fizzled off a bit for me.

I kinda just want to see real dumb 90s and early 2000s presentations. Pure game footage of old games ain't doing it for me.

Oh I liked seeing people talk about Majestic though.

the secret is to never get "hype" in the first place before a game's not out

or to assume every game is mediocre until proven otherwise.

the assumption that something will be incredible before it comes out seems to be a feeling that is mostly exclusive to games. Sure, there are film fanboys that get overly excited for their next comic film but it's nowhere near the weird ass expectation that the next major AAA console exclusive will be the best thing that's ever happened ever.

some gamers need a sense of perspective

pizzacat

Banned
Yea but guys if they ever make a new blinx to finally end the trilogy that will be the best game ever made no question.

like someone said above, gamers need a sense of perspective, even then some hype is good. Like Jeff said in the last podcast, windwaker 2 had a chance to be great but then there was a chance that is was going to be ass like TP. Without hype kick starters wouldn't really happen and that's spawned some cool games. SOME

Xater

the assumption that something will be incredible before it comes out seems to be a feeling that is mostly exclusive to games. Sure, there are film fanboys that get overly excited for their next comic film but it's nowhere near the weird ass expectation that the next major AAA console exclusive will be the best thing that's ever happened ever.

I expect to be disappointed by almost every release. Sadly it mostly works out that way.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

No, it's pretty similar to how film fanboys act actually.

I dunno, I know I like what I like. I don't really feel the need to assume everything is mediocre.

No, it's pretty similar to how film fanboys act actually.

I dunno, I know I like what I like. I don't really feel the need to assume everything is mediocre.

to some degree yes. but that's mostly because film fanboys have had to absorb into them comic book fanboys, folks who are heavily invested in Thor 3 beating out Shazam because SUCK IT DC.

Had film not had to take upon them the great burden of comic fandom then it wouldn't be so comparable.

as far as game expectations go, if you set the bar low then you have A) no need to fall for hype because meh and B) you can play a game and actually find yourself pleasantly surprised when it's better than you expected.

I'm going through the latter now with God of War Ascension, which is actually a pretty good game given that it's an unneeded late gen prequel that got overlooked by everyone

Antiwhippy

I feel like there's a whole generation who's just comic book film fans, and not necessarily comic book fans, who pretty much fits the same mould.

Which just goes to show.

Fucking fanboys man.

Eh whatever I'm pretty fanboyish about my own things as well. It's fun to like things.

Thing is I'm generally in a bubble of things I like so I know I'll generally like the things within my bubble to some degree, but I can also be genuinely surprised when I decide to venture out of that bubble from time to time.

pizzacat

Banned
That type of thinking is with other movies too. Had some laughs looking at this Star Wars box office thread. Some people give too much importance to sales figures like that. Movies, video games, anything

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't mean to alarm anybody, but the Ghostbusters 3 trailer should be out in 5 minutes, so the internet will probably be a pretty angry place.

Edit: Yes, probably even more than usual

Antiwhippy

You should also visit specific music forums.

Made me never want to discuss music tastes as seriously as I use to do.

well i didn't lump star wars into that hype machine stuff because i assumed that was a given.

the point being that there is a big chunk of the gamer population that is heavily invested in an unreleased thing being so huge and fantastic that it's just entirely unreasonable. With the pending release of Twilight Princess HD, we have over a decade if not more of this behavior documented to show how stupid this getting-hyped-for-unreleased-thing is and yet it keeps happening.

Like, i cant wait to see the salt when Uncharted 4 gets a 7 from Polygon even though no one will have played it when that review comes out

pizzacat

Banned
well i didn't lump star wars into that hype machine stuff because i assumed that was a given.

the point being that there is a big chunk of the gamer population that is heavily invested in an unreleased thing being so huge and fantastic that it's just entirely unreasonable. With the pending release of Twilight Princess HD, we have over a decade if not more of this behavior documented to show how stupid this getting-hyped-for-unreleased-thing is and yet it keeps happening.

Like, i cant wait to see the salt when Uncharted 4 gets a 7 from Polygon even though no one will have played it when that review comes out
There were meltdowns when uc collection got reviewed worse than it "should"

There's going to be meltdowns whenever they make the second last of us.

There's going to be meltdowns for every naughty dog game here

but no meltdowns when they ruin mp with their f2p shit or dumb balance changes 👀

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Game Tapes is a neat idea but it's basically a less good Demo Derby. It has all the same hallmarks, the material just isn't as interesting, for the most part.

Honestly I wish they'd just watch every episode of Digital Playground or whatever Tommy Tallarico's show was called

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom