• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

hmm....

From what I played, No Man's Sky's gameplay loop is intensely resource-based. It seems that everything you need to create, recharge, or refuel requires one of numerous types of resources, and that means you'll be turning your mining laser on plants and rock formations to break them down into their component elements, looting abandoned supply crates for other types of elements, hacking or shooting your way into alien factories to claim their stashes, and generally just scrounging everything you can find on your eternal quest to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

this fucking alternate cover for DOOM 2016

CcoqfRVW8AArVnY.jpg:large

Anxiety-Sweating-Reaction-Gif-In-Wanted-.gif

fuck marketing research and focus groups for giving us this trash

this video's cool, and he's really saying the things I want to hear

the funny thing though is that the things I want to hear are the things that are going to make a whole bunch of people really pissy about their expectation/reality divergence

There was more in the back half of the video, but the article is a much better source of new info for NMS.

Gross. I was hoping for an exploration game without crafting and resource hunting BS. I think the first paragraph just unsold me on this game.

To be fair the information about resources and crafting has been out there for months. Now we know it's a very big part of the gameplay.

Guess Who

Banned
Gross. I was hoping for an exploration game without crafting and resource hunting BS. I think the first paragraph just unsold me on this game.

I said in another thread that I have never found a crafting system in a game fun and I stand by that. No interest in "gather resources and craft stuff so you can go gather more resources to craft more stuff... only now the universe to do this same shit forever in is infinitely large!"

jaina

It wouldn't be Quantum Break or some other MS published game because that's just been at the recent event, same for Dark Souls III.

Considering Upcoming high profile releases, companies in the LA area and Brad & Alexa's shared interest in games there aren't any options other than Uncharted 4 or an unannounced game. IMHO it also has to be a game with a release date before E3.

For fuck's sake, with the No Man's Sky previews published, it's now confirmed the LA trip was about that game.
I did not expect Sony to have an event with flying people out, instead of Sean Murray tingling around in San Francisco. But I guess he's busy developing.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Sean's right about The Long Dark though, that game is rad as hell, and if No Man's Sky can kind of evoke that, but in space, then I'm down.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I said in another thread that I have never found a crafting system in a game fun and I stand by that. No interest in "gather resources and craft stuff so you can go gather more resources to craft more stuff... only now the universe to do this same shit forever in is infinitely large!"

I hate it. Every new release is already terrible with the requirement for progression and bars to be filled in every fucking game. Sitting and waiting for the bars to fill up while wandering aimlessly because you need a slightly better engine turns me off entirely. I can trace most of my hatred for Call of Duty directly to the progression/unlock multiplayer system which has ruined approximately every single multiplayer game since, and now it's in every single player game too.

Curufinwe

NMS sounds like I might like it from the preview Brad wrote. But I think I'll have to wait for reviews and forum impressions. No chance I'm going to pre-order.

I'm optimistic about No Man's Sky based on Brad's article. I know the resource treadmill can be done really poorly, but it can also be great.

Already pre-ordered the vinyl soundtrack, though!

Brad's article makes it pretty clear that this isn't your standard survival game despite having mechanics familiar to that genre (he even cites this is as positive in the context of No Man's Sky despite not investing serious time in survival games before) so I am pretty optimistic.

SomberOwl

I don't know. It sounds like a lot of busy work. Like Far Cry Primal taken EVEN further. But with no narrative drive. I suppose it depends on how long gathering and upgrading can hold your attention before becoming boring.

I still don't see a goal to work towards besides getting more upgrades. It might hold my attention for a while but with nothing to ultimately try and achieve it seems like it might become stale after a while.

I still don't see a goal to work towards besides getting more upgrades. It might hold my attention for a while but with nothing to ultimately try and achieve it seems like it might become stale after a while.

it's pretty though, and I like space, so I suspect that I'd find myself coming back to it from time to time just to fly around, even if I got bored of the core gameplay.

Kimaka

Speaking of alien races, the big new feature on the marketing roadmap being shown at the event I went to was interaction with AI characters. Murray's presentation included a quick chat with a space-suited representative of the Korvax, one of the game's races. Interacting with these characters is pretty straightforward: zoom in the camera, pop up a dialogue tree. They may want to trade with you, dispense some information, or just give you a shiny new weapon. The catch is, you initially won't have any idea what that alien is trying to say to you, since learning alien languages is a core mechanic in the game. I only saw one obvious way to learn, by approaching an inscribed stone monolith (though I hope there are others), and it seems you'll generally only learn one word at a time. But that one word might be enough to intuit what a given NPC is trying to ask you, if it's the right word.

I wasn't expecting NPCs to exist. All of this is sounding great to me. I am with Brad in that I hope that this is the Star Trek game that I want it to be.

BearPawB

Banned
im not sure what I expected though.
I knew there would be resources. But I thought it would be more about generating money to buy upgrades rather than "crafting" a new engine.

KingKong

Game Tapes proves that Giant Bomb would be 10 times better if they stop covering new games and just focus on the old stuff. Who needs to see a Dark Souls 3 quick look when we can get a Kings Field 3 quick look

I'll expecting NMS to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. Everything it does will be fine but the only exception thing would be if it all gels together without feeling half baked or a mess.

I guess I just haven't played enough resource/crafting games to have strong feelings one way or another on that aspect. The game still looks great and I look forward to playing it.

This is the first Arcade Archives where I was actually really interested in most of the games. I didn't even know Bubble Bobble was an arcade game in addition to the NES version. It was easily one of my favorite NES games.

Strax

Am I the only one who is shocked Drew didn't remember that Mary Kate and Ashley game?
Its maybe the second longest demo they've done on Demo Derby.

pizzacat

Banned
Yo Jeffs hatred for X is very, VERY, justified.

God damn playing through the game again and I can't believe I liked this at one point especially after playing through 9

X-2 tho class system was cool fun

12 is pretty good

Yo Jeffs hatred for X is very, VERY, justified.

God damn playing through the game again and I can't believe I liked this at one point especially after playing through 9

X-2 tho class system was cool fun

12 is pretty good
I think X is still one of the better FF games but it's definitely taken a hit with it's age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom