• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this the other day and I'm pretty sure The Witness is the first game I've bought on day 1 since Portal 2.

No Man's Sky could be a day one for me if there are good reviews up prerelease.

BearPawB

Banned
At its base, functionally that is the same thing.
It is and it isn't

1) crafting always feels very false. How do i know how to make guns? How do I know how to build ships?

When it's money you can go and buy from the shipyard w/e. It makes more sense in terms of the realism of the world.

2) crafting means you deal with minutae. i don't want to be chopping down trees when I could be flying around space.

basically it seems like a beautiful 3D starbound

tuxfool

Banned
It is and it isn't

1) crafting always feels very false. How do i know how to make guns? How do I know how to build ships?

When it's money you can go and buy from the shipyard w/e. It makes more sense in terms of the realism of the world.

2) crafting means you deal with minutae. i don't want to be chopping down trees when I could be flying around space.

basically it seems like a beautiful 3D starbound

1)This is a question of immersion not of functionality.

2) you're going to be chopping down trees to sell for money anyway. What changes is that you need to mix a variety of materials. However it seems they can be used in all three branches. There is that minutiae.

Ultimately I don't want vendors just to be a place to dump your trash in return for money. It seems that they are more nuanced than that.

Kimaka

Yo Jeffs hatred for X is very, VERY, justified.

God damn playing through the game again and I can't believe I liked this at one point especially after playing through 9

X-2 tho class system was cool fun

12 is pretty good

I recently played through 12 and it is still great. I still don't get why so many people I hated when it came out. I felt like some weird outlier for hating X but loving 12.

tuxfool

Banned
I recently played through 12 and it is still great. I still don't get why so many people I hated when it came out. I felt like some weird outlier for hating X but loving 12.

I'm not sure you are. At least not so much any more.

XII was and still is my favorite 3D FF game. My appreciation for X has cooled considerably as the years passed.

BearPawB

Banned
1)This is a question of immersion not of functionality.

2) you're going to be chopping down trees to sell for money anyway. What changes is that you need to mix a variety of materials. However it seems they can be used in all three branches. There is that minutiae.

Ultimately I don't want vendors just to be a place to dump your trash in return for money. It seems that they are more nuanced than that.

I think I'm definitely struggling to even express why I'm turned off by it.

Maybe it just is...no man sky seemed like something new and different. After reading brads write up...less so

I hope we get a 12 HD announcement this year, I remember only playing a few hours at launch and thinking that it seemed solid.

I'm not sure you are. At least not so much any more.

XII was and still is my favorite 3D FF game. My appreciation for X has cooled considerably as the years passed.
I read this as XIII at first and was ready to have words.

BearPawB

Banned
X is still the only final fantasy out side of legends 2 (I think that's what the gameboy game was called)

Xii appealed to the mmo player in me

Maybe it just is...no man sky seemed like something new and different. After reading brads write up...less so

When first revealed it looked like the game was going to be more about the exploration between planets. Now it's sounds like Minecraft but with some extra details thrown on. Less exploration, more cookiecutter jumping between planets, do the thing that lets you get to the next planet, repeat.

It would be fun if there was a sandbox mode where you could just do anything without worrying about the resources.

No Mans Sky is the kind of game I'd either tire of quickly or play an embarrassing amount of. Leaning towards the former for now. Traversal on foot and in the spacecraft is, trying to think of the right word...flat? lacking kinetic feedback?

Chuck

Still without luck
Did Hello Games sell their souls to Sony or something? All the preorder and special edition stuff for an indie game is bumming me out.

pretty sure the preorder stuff is coming to PC, too.

NMS-Explorer_s_Edition-iam8bit_1024x1024.png

unless what youre complaining about is that an indie studio is making it big thanks to a first party. Which is a weird thing to be bothered by as indies have been helped by first parties before

Learn that this shit is well, shit. Your life will be more fulfilling if you stop buying collectors editions.

Now in game content preorders annoy me.

Most preorder shit these days is shit. I'm actually annoyed how every game is getting a 'collectors edition' that costs $30 more for a steel box and some shitty figure that costs $2 to manufacture.

Not saying the NMS ship is cheap, it actually looks decent, but it's just a thing that annoys me. Back in the day Special Editions were given for preordering a game, and collectors cost only $10 more and came with alot of swag.

did preorder swag for TW3 (an indie game) bum you out too?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills lately

Why would I preorder garbage

pizzacat

Banned
X is still the only final fantasy out side of legends 2 (I think that's what the gameboy game was called)

Xii appealed to the mmo player in me
Legends is great because I think that was the first NA exposure to the SaGa series which is great in itself but it was renamed Legends here I think, or it just spawned from that I don't remember

KingKong

for me its because it means youre basically going to be doing the same thing on every planet, and the sense of wonder and exploration is going to fade pretty quickly when youre just scanning and looting resources for the 15th time, and your reward is just moving up a tech tree that requires more and more resources

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
After the article on GB, I'm even more sceptical of NMS than before. I just don't enjoy collecting shit, and if that's the main thing with the game...
I'm probably gonna buy it when it's cheap, cause I really love the look of the game and I love the idea of exploring random planets but for 60€ I certainly won't buy it before I'm 100% sure what it is. I'm just not the type for the "You have to make your own fun" type of game.
NOT SAYING that the price is too high, but if it were cheaper I'd probably jump in Day 1
Did it? That's dumb as hell. But even that was a pre-existing property and it was possible for somebody to already be a fan of the Witcher.

I'm pretty sure it got one after the initial release but I'm not 100% certain.
Anyway, I don't have a problem with CE for new IPs. I'm not gonna buy them anyway, so why not.

Did it? That's dumb as hell. But even that was a pre-existing property and it was possible for somebody to already be a fan of the Witcher.

Well if we're going to move the goal posts, then it's ok for pre-existing companies to have collectors editions for any game they release because it's possible for people to be fans of that company.

IT'S A SLIPPERYSLOPE WHEN YOU DEFEND THE WITCHER

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well if we're going to move the goal posts, then it's ok for pre-existing companies to have collectors editions for any game they release because it's possible for people to be fans of that company.

IT'S A SLIPPERYSLOPE WHEN YOU DEFEND THE WITCHER

I'm not defending it, it's stupid for different reasons to pre-order a video game because you liked the property it was based on. It's just understandably stupid with the possibility of being an even worse purchasing decision when they inevitably screw up the transition.

And I want to see the receipts for people who pre-order No Man's Sky's Arwing edition because they loved Joe Danger 2 that much.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Witcher is probably actually the only series were I would actually buy a CE even though I would throw away whatever garbage statue they pack in. I don't have a place in my room or my heart for dumb statues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom