• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imma just post this here for comment because I don't know how many people actually look at the Beastcast thread.

I'm a little annoyed by how everyone was talking about NMS and the questions surrounding it. Austin especially was quite dismissive of people asking what it was/saying it was a walking simulator. Yeah it might have been on their website Austin, but all the E3 presentations just showed you flying around in a spaceship with almost no information. Matter of fact it was only thanks to the stuff coming out of the event this week that I learned about it being a suvival sim.

I think doing a little hand waving and suggesting that people want progress bars to be filled is really negative to folks that have genuine concerns about that game. For example, I haven't found any information regarding what happens if I decide to buy the game in a few years. Will the game select a spawn where no one else is? Are their claims of scale even legitimate in the first place? Can I join a specific area where my friends might be in order to play along with them, or is the mutliplayer aspect entirely passive? The space cop mechanic is poorly explained as well, and Brad saying there's no way to lower it sounds really shitty.

It's a very interesting game idea, but I'm completely turned off of it because of it being a resource gathering game. I had been hoping it was just an exploration game. Also if I'm wrong about this or those questions have been answered then I'll be happy to learn.

Imma just post this here for comment because I don't know how many people actually look at the Beastcast thread.

I'm a little annoyed by how everyone was talking about NMS and the questions surrounding it. Austin especially was quite dismissive of people asking what it was/saying it was a walking simulator. Yeah it might have been on their website Austin, but all the E3 presentations just showed you flying around in a spaceship with almost no information. Matter of fact it was only thanks to the stuff coming out of the event this week that I learned about it being a suvival sim.

I think doing a little hand waving and suggesting that people want progress bars to be filled is really negative to folks that have genuine concerns about that game. For example, I haven't found any information regarding what happens if I decide to buy the game in a few years. Will the game select a spawn where no one else is? Are their claims of scale even legitimate in the first place? Can I join a specific area where my friends might be in order to play along with them, or is the mutliplayer aspect entirely passive? The space cop mechanic is poorly explained as well, and Brad saying there's no way to lower it sounds really shitty.

It's a very interesting game idea, but I'm completely turned off of it because of it being a resource gathering game. I had been hoping it was just an exploration game. Also if I'm wrong about this or those questions have been answered then I'll be happy to learn.

To be fair the game was shown and more information was given after E3 and before this event. I actually didn't think much actually came from this event other than release date. The stuff about gathering resources and all the police stuff came from the last big dump of info where there was something like 20 minutes of gameplay going around.

I'm kinda shocked at how people are just figuring out that NMS is gonna have heavy resource gathering elements.

Like, I thought the message since like, near day one was "You need to keep finding resources to build better ships to move on to the newer planets."

Were people just holding out hope that it wasn't gonna have resource gathering elements and just be pure exploration or something?

Patryn

To be fair the game was shown and more information was given after E3 and before this event. I actually didn't think much actually came from this event other than release date. The stuff about gathering resources and all the police stuff came from the last big dump of info where there was something like 20 minutes of gameplay going around.

The fact that there are NPCs, trading and dialogue surprised me. I honestly wasn't expecting that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They have actually said a lot about what you do in NMS, but it wasn't at times or places where all eyes were on them and I don't think it was what many people wanted to hear either. Even now in Brad's interview they spend the majority of time explaining what it isn't.

This untitled EP thing Kendrick Lamar released is way better than that To Pimp A Butterfly trash.

I like it but I also vastly prefer the live versions of those songs (the ones that have live versions anyway). It's pretty sweet to just get this out of nowhere though.

The fact that there are NPCs, trading and dialogue surprised me. I honestly wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, I guess that was new. Forgot about that stuff. The hacking stuff too.

Actually probably the biggest surprise to me was the language stuff. That could be cool. But really nothing in the main mechanics category was really new. The resource gathering and crafting has been talked about for a long while.

Zornack

I'm kinda shocked at how people are just figuring out that NMS is gonna have heavy resource gathering elements.

Like, I thought the message since like, near day one was "You need to keep finding resources to build better ships to move on to the newer planets."

Were people just holding out hope that it wasn't gonna have resource gathering elements and just be pure exploration or something?

Same. They've been talking about finding resources to upgrade your weapon, ship and ftl drive for at least a year now.

Bowlie

Banned
This untitled EP thing Kendrick Lamar released is way better than that To Pimp A Butterfly trash.

I enjoyed TPAB as an album, with every song telling me a part of a bigger story. If we're talking about each song independently, I agree with you.

CeeLo came out of nowheeereee

I hope this song returns in Rondo of Blood!

Dammit now this is going to be stuck in my head.

Agreed, I've been struggling to think if that was just the assumption I always had or that was something that Hello Games had actually said at some point close to the reveal.

Is the resource gathering planet to planet, like each planet is a little stage, or are you free to explore the planets in a system and need to upgrade your ship to get to another system? Because if it's planet to planet that's going to make a game about space feel incredibly tiny.

Is the resource gathering planet to planet, like each planet is a little stage, or are you free to explore the planets in a system and need to upgrade your ship to get to another system? Because if it's planet to planet that's going to make a game about space feel incredibly tiny.

You start on a random planet. You can go wherever you want. You'll have to upgrade your ship to make larger jumps to further systems.

TraBuch

Banned
Ever notice how Austin repeats a statement in exclamation when he agrees with it?

Alex: "This is the best Castlevania music"
Austin: "THIS IS THE BEST CASTLEVANIA MUSIC!"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rondo of Blood. Vinny chose wisely. There's some hard as fuck parts in it. I still am unable to beat the last boss.

Chuck

Still without luck
I wonder at the start of most GB videos if they're going to reference wrestling

And I always get sad because they always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom