• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
So I decided to re-install Blood Dragon and just noticed that the old shotgun is name "Galleria 1991" which is a Terminator 2 reference...neat. Missed that one on my first playthrough.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
I love how Austin is just putting his friends (or people he already knows) in the freelance articles. Shit is pathetic.

Just wanted to spin by and address this, because I've begun seeing it more and more: The writers who you've read over the last couple of months were people I brought into this program last fall. The people who sent in pitches after our open call will start showing up in the next few weeks, and I'm super excited for their debuts!

I should also say that I've bought no one on unilaterally. This process began with me putting together a list of names and their clippings, working with other editors to zero down on that list, reaching out for pitches from those folks, and then choosing again from that smaller group.

That naturally biased people we know, and it's why I was so determined to have an "open" submission process instead of a closed selection once the guest writer program was announced. It would have been very, very easy for us to just say "Oh yeah, I know these 15 solid people, call it a day." Instead, it's been a challenging (and rewarding) process of reviewing pitches from over 200 candidates, the majority of which had decent ideas and solid clippings. This process is currently in the final stages: From that new list we cut it down to about 30 people and are now cutting down further to a final small group.

I also want to say that the internet really makes judging "friendship" weird. Janine Hawkins and I go way back, and I was super up front about that, but beyond that, the only other person we've run a story by that I've ever met in person is Gita, and the only time I met her was when she was on the Beastcast. Ian and I played in an (online) tabletop game together a few times, and co-wrote a few pieces for Paste, and I mentioned that up front too. I follow all the rest of our writers on Twitter, maybe had one or two podcast appearances with, but that's about it.

There's also just the fact of the industry being small enough (and my interest in games writing being high enough) that I interacted online with many game writers as their freelancing peer long before I had this position. I follow a lot of the writers who have pitched me over the last week, and the majority of those we've declined to work with. Rejecting a decent story idea from someone you're friendly with can be awkward, but it's a thing I've actually done dozens and dozens of times over the lat few weeks! Chances are that if you're a freelance games writer who interacts with me on Twitter, you've received or will receive a rejection letter from me in the next week or two.

In any case, I take this response to the program seriously, and I don't mean that in a defensive way. I mean that it illustrates something we could be doing better (even if that "something" is just messaging our process better) and that I'm committed to doing that right. "Friends of the site" has always been a part of the Giant Bomb vibe, but it's also been about winding up in really fascinating (and hilarious) places with totally new people. So as the program continues to grow, I hope that it will surprise both you and me as we bring on people from beyond our current bubbles. Look forward to that happening in the next few weeks!

Lunar FC

Playing the Hitman beta got me even more hiffie than watching he Unfinished did.
I sabotaged the fighter jet and caused it to just eject the target.
Was sweet.

Edit: Guess I just walked in on some beef. Wish it wasn't only asshats that the duders respond to in this thread.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is it weird that I will be crushed if Rorie isnt on the Dark Souls 3 quicklook?

Joeku

I love how Austin is just putting his friends (or people he already knows) in the freelance articles. Shit is pathetic.

I'm not going to play defence for anyone or any institution, but not only is this very presumptuous, it's taking the relatively small "freelance games editorial" community and ascribing it an inherent nepotistic insider-dom.

In lieu of being a dismissive shitheel, can you actually describe any specific instances of Austin either playing games writer cards too close to the chest or article contributions that are actively unethical, exclusionary, or unfair? Frankly, the tone and podcasts around said pieces suggest he's trying to do nearly the opposite: expose people to a ton of new ideas from personal vectors we'd otherwise be unfamiliar with if we paid attention solely to Giant Bomb.

Or do you just see names you vaguely recognize from some vague thing and think it's uncool for some vague reason, probably some vague game journo cabal?

Playing the Hitman beta got me even more hiffie than watching he Unfinished did.
I sabotaged the fighter jet and caused it to just eject the target.
Was sweet.

Edit: Guess I just walked in on some beef. Wish it wasn't only asshats that the duders respond to in this thread.

I also just played it, and it made me go back and start a playthrough of Absolution on the PC. Damn, this is a grungy, ugly game. I mean that in a good way. I'm a few hours in on PC.

I have a preorder of the new game and it seems that it's not launching til much later in the year; I'm genuinely unaware of how exactly the release of this game is working. That's a rarity for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also I find it hard to believe that the games writing biz is big enough that people in it won't have interacted with one another one way or the other.

There's a reason why there are more youtubers and less games writers.

Oh god we're gonna scare off austin again

uhh

uhhhhh

My favorite Evangelion unit is the Destiny Gundam, ridden by Light Yagami.

Edit-Also Austin, I've highly enjoyed your articles and podcast interactions with guests, don't let anything put you down ;_;

The term is amusing, but that article was awful.

It made me less likely to even look at the ones that came after it.
Don't look. Touch.
2826276-feskinship.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The guest articles are just the 2016 equivalent of Brad Nicholson posts.

I do wonder how well those are doing because I can't imagine many people reading them.

what framerate are you getting

I can't force the game into fullscreen or lock it to 60

Framerate is all over the place but sticks to 300 average. I assume you have this installed?

I'm trying to run widescreen fix with mod and it give me the 4:3 black screen. If I turn off the mod it works with vanilla MP2, and if I remove screenfix it runs normal with mod. AHHHHHHHH I spent too long trying to fix.

Lunar FC

I also just played it, and it made me go back and start a playthrough of Absolution on the PC. Damn, this is a grungy, ugly game. I mean that in a good way. I'm a few hours in on PC.

I have a preorder of the new game and it seems that it's not launching til much later in the year; I'm genuinely unaware of how exactly the release of this game is working. That's a rarity for me.

The first 'season' comes out 3/11 for $15. Not sure how many seasons there will be, but after they are all out it will be released on disc for $60. I think you can buy it digitally for full price rn and get acess to all the content as it rolls out.

Yeah it's a shitshow but the game is fun as hell. Just runs like garbage on PS4, might have to go PC if it's not fixed by release.

help i started playing stardew valley and i dont know if i can stop

Sell me on it. I need something to play.

Joeku

Yeah I knew that Hitman "launches" in a few days but I have a (would-be) full-price disc preorder from a year or so ago that has no proper release date yet. So considering how back and forth their decisions on release style of this game is, I won't be receiving it til roughly this fall or so. Weird thing, this. Especially considering full-priced digital purchases get content as it releases, seemingly.

jaina

I appreciate the response Austin, it's very reasonable to do the first batch with familiar (quicker to work with) writers while going through the new applications. I thought we already were at the public call stage which made it feel weird.
Also: I wouldn't even skim most of these articles on another site, your endorsement makes me give them a chance and I can cope with a couple of uninteresting pieces. For now, so keep up the effort :)

UPF on a chill Saturday morning is great.

Sell me on it. I need something to play.
1) It's an idealised form of Harvest Moon; the best one in years, by all accounts. On PC. For $15.
2) There aren't ten better games releasing this year.
3) It has a bear statue kinda like this:
tumblr_nrwvrcsGKV1r72n6yo1_500.gif

4) (For Dan Ryckert's eyes only)
There's a Waluigi shirt, along with a host of other Nintendo properties, available at character creation.

daydream

Banned
good to see the ultimate chicken horse devs did right by their game. the final product seems a real step-up from the already great early access version

Sucks that Disney Infinity Smash Bros for PS4 only has Marvel characters. Disney should totally make a Smash Bros clone with Quorra beating up Kylo Ren.

yami4ct

Totally forgot that Twilight Princess HD was launching today until I went to my mailbox and found my Amazon copy sitting there.

Those first few hours of that game are pretty much all the horrific memories I have returned. Boy that game starts awful. I know it gets better from here, but I can definitely see why I didn't really dig it that much back in the day.

I share a very similar opinion with Dan on the game. Probably not a top 5 Zelda and a not so attractive artstyle, but it definitely has some of the best dungeons in the franchise.

The great dungeons are the only reason why I think it's better than OoT, even if it's just trying to imitate it.

yami4ct

I share a very similar opinion with Dan on the game. Probably not a top 5 Zelda and a not so attractive artstyle, but it definitely has some of the best dungeons in the franchise.

I'm eager to go back and see if I enjoy that stuff. All I remember is how disappointing it was post-Windwaker, how awful the art was, how terrible it started and how much I hated playing as Wolf Link.

So far, all that stuff is still 100% true. Other than that, it was the most forgettable Zelda for me. I really hope I can see it in a new light.

I'm eager to go back and see if I enjoy that stuff. All I remember is how disappointing it was post-Windwaker, how awful the art was, how terrible it started and how much I hated playing as Wolf Link.

So far, all that stuff is still 100% true. Other than that, it was the most forgettable Zelda for me. I really hope I can see it in a new light.

There's some really neat dungeons and bosses in that game. Zant is one of my favorite bosses in the series, and even if Ganondorf is really randomly thrown in, Ganon's castle from beginning to the last fight with him in the field is still a pretty big highlight for me.

Music is really good too.

yami4ct

Having listened to the TP music a lot (Zelda has to be some of my favorite non-Persona game music), it's just alright to me. There's some great tracks on there, but it doesn't feel like a standout cohesive piece like Windwaker's OST is. Good, not amazing.

Mostly excited to have a thing to breakup Fire Emblem with. Those games are amazing, but there's only so much punishing Turn Based strategy I can take before it killing me. Definitely going to have to put some less frustrating games in there if I hope to beat all 3 campaigns and remain sane.

Having listened to the TP music a lot (Zelda has to be some of my favorite non-Persona game music), it's just alright to me. There's some great tracks on there, but it doesn't feel like a standout cohesive piece like Windwaker's OST is. Good, not amazing.

Mostly excited to have a thing to breakup Fire Emblem with. Those games are amazing, but there's only so much punishing Turn Based strategy I can take before it killing me. Definitely going to have to put some less frustrating games in there if I hope to beat all 3 campaigns and remain sane.

I agree that it's not as cohesive as something like Wind Waker, but man individually, there are some really fantastic songs in the game. The dungeon and boss music in particular are great, but stuff like Midna's Lament is fantastic as well too.

I love pretty much all the Zelda OSTs though and am pretty biased.

UncleGrumpskin

Neo Member
Fuck. I need to stop getting so upset when I see a dev I like follow someone/something on twitter I find even mildly bad. It leads me to conclusions that that person might be "pro/anti" whatever and it bugs me, and I hate myself for it. I know it's a cliche at this point, but I do think I need to stop being so offended at shit, but I don't know how. Sorry for bringing this on y'all, but I have no one I can talk to about this sorta thing, and Giant Bombs just been a place I feel like I finally belong somewhere without getting angry all the time.

yami4ct

Nothing beats the sailing music in Wind Waker. The way it transitions into other pieces based on events and weather is pretty much god tier world building through music.

The sailing music in Windwaker is some of the greatest music in video games. Loved sailing around in that game.

Edit: Was thinking about picking up TP:HD, but $60 is a bit too much even with my 20% GCU discount. I'll just wait for the hopeful sale sometime in the fall (and hopefully without an amiibo).

Fuck. I need to stop getting so upset when I see a dev I like follow someone/something on twitter I find even mildly bad. It leads me to conclusions that that person might be "pro/anti" whatever and it bugs me, and I hate myself for it. I know it's a cliche at this point, but I do think I need to stop being so offended at shit, but I don't know how. Sorry for bringing this on y'all, but I have no one I can talk to about this sorta thing, and Giant Bombs just been a place I feel like I finally belong somewhere without getting angry all the time.

It's easy, just stop caring about things so much. Life is so much easier when you don't give a shit about stuff that isn't really a big deal.

Caring too much about what other people think can only lead you down a bad road.

UncleGrumpskin

Neo Member
The sailing music in Windwaker is some of the greatest music in video games. Loved sailing around in that game.

It's easy, just stop caring about things so much. Life is so much easier when you don't give a shit about stuff that isn't really a big deal.

Caring too much about what other people think can only lead you down a bad road.

See, that's what I want to do, but I find it really hard, i wish it was easy, then i wouldn't of cared enough to post about it. I liked it when i didnt have the ability to look through every persons likes/subscriptions/follows/playlists etc so you could find out tons of useless shit about them. I end up drawing connections that I shouldn't. I wish i was a lot more apathetic about shit like that. fuck im getting emo all up in this thread...

See, that's what I want to do, but I find it really hard, i wish it was easy, then i wouldn't of cared enough to post about it. I liked it when i didnt have the ability to look through every persons likes/subscriptions/follows/playlists etc so you could find out tons of useless shit about them. I end up drawing connections that I shouldn't. I wish i was a lot more apathetic about shit like that. fuck im getting emo all up in this thread...

Hard to give advice on something I really don't have experience with, but maybe just using social media sites less and focusing on other things that don't revolve around a computer might help? You don't need to always know what's going on with people you follow. Taking a break from the internet might be good for you if you're in a position to be able to separate yourself from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom