• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

I started posting here last July but I that was after not posting on GAF for around 4 years and I have posts in bombcast threads from before then. So I am eternal.

I'm sure I've dropped a few stinkers somewhere along the way. I don't think I'll consider myself official until I say something to get an annoyed reply from Brad.
Brad responded to one of my comments on Giantbomb where I said he was bad at games. I felt so special.

yami4ct

I've gotten corrected by Dan and replied to by Austin, but I don't think I've ever wrote something bad enough to get an annoyed response. I always weirdly think I did something wrong when Dan replies to me. I'm not sure why.

The changes in Ultimate Chicken Horse seem really smart. A great way to encourage experimentation and speed up the actual playing of levels.

Joeku

It's cool to see fresh blood come to the site and this topic. Honestly, as someone who's been into GB for just about 8 years, I'm glad the antics can still bring in new people instead of the crew feeling obligated to kowtow to fans of the way they used to do things.

What caused that reaction?
Radiohead came up as a topic, and I was talking with others in the chat about how Radiohead songs are musically complex and how those with a background in music theory really appreciate them because of this.

Except what I actually said was "Radiohead is for people that understand music," a ridiculous statement that Jeff grabbed out of context and made me a fool. I don't defend it.
You sound awfully defensive.
AM NOT
I don't want him to be our VR Anime Editor anymore.
Nothing would make me happier!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
2832237-2832211-5459014756-huvnz.gif

I hope Jeff turned it around and wrote Slap Nuts on it

Jeff once sent me a bloody knife. With it a card reading "Is this your blood?" on the outside and "It could be." inside.

Well there was no name on the package. But this happened after I sent Jeff a pointed letter claiming Yanya Caballista City Skater deserved a 10/10 over THPS3. Put one and one together, you know.

Bacon

It's cool to see fresh blood come to the site and this topic. Honestly, as someone who's been into GB for just about 8 years, I'm glad the antics can still bring in new people instead of the crew feeling obligated to kowtow to fans of the way they used to do things.

That's one of the things I love about giantbomb. They very rarely do inside jokey stuff and it keeps their content feeling fresh and inclusive to new viewers

Edit - Has Jeff said what he thinks of Kendrick's new EP, outside of saying he hadn't listened to it yet on UPF? Always interested in hearing his thoughts on hip hop projects.. wheres that Hip Hop podcast btw?

I'm not gonna stop posting in this thread until I've collected a reply from every GB member.

I got a reply from Ryan on a comment once and it was definitely a "I'll never wash this hand again" kind of moment.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'm not gonna stop posting in this thread until I've collected a reply from every GB member.

I got a reply from Ryan on a comment once and it was definitely a "I'll never wash this hand again" kind of moment.

They read a question of mine on the podcast so I heard their voices say things to something I said.

Pretty sure I win

Megasoum

Banned
Man that Rondo of Blood music is fucking amazing.

And on topic, I once beat Ryan in Dirt 2 (I think I actually finished first) during a TNT.

kind of sorry to even bring this up again, but pepsiman wrote up a long thing about his thoughts on the FE:F localization thing from the perspective of someone who does localization and it's probably worth a read

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/140540324894/what-do-you-think-of-the-criticisms-lobbied-at

this part especially

Some people seem to feel that the original Japanese content, especially in terms of script and visual assets, is sacrosanct and that any changes that are made are disrespectful of both the original writing team and the creative ambitions of the original Japanese work.

[...]

I’ve never talked with a Japanese developer who’s felt that their final published work is perfect in its native language and, again, that’s to be expected for anything creative that’s being made with the expectation of being sold to consumers. Some people might be happy with how a game proceeds in terms of its main story beats that players are forced to encounter as part of the narrative progression, but feel less satisfied at how periphery aspects of the games such as sidequests turned out.

yami4ct

kind of sorry to even bring this up again, but pepsiman wrote up a long thing about his thoughts on the FE:F localization thing from the perspective of someone who does localization and it's probably worth a read

http://pepsimangb.tumblr.com/post/140540324894/what-do-you-think-of-the-criticisms-lobbied-at

this part especially

I'm still shocked that Fates is the game that set this off. It's by and large a very good localization, with a few missteps that are getting hugely blown out of proportion. The writing in that game isn't good to start with, but Treehouse did their damnedest to make it presentable.

If you want to criticize a localization, an actually bad one came out just a couple weeks before FE. Go take a look at Digimon Cyber Sleuth if you want to see what a bad localization looks like. Cyber Sleuth is the double whammy of being exceptionally poorly written and badly localized.

yami4ct

Is Cyber Sleuth anywhere near as bad as that first SAO game?

Cyber Sleuth doesn't have as many of the weird grammatical errors and shit like SAO did, but it has some nasty text bugs, inconstant translation (IE, the game doesn't use honorifics, but when one specific character talks about another specific character they suddenly are used) and is just generally soulless.

Like I said, it doesn't help to begin with that the writing in that game is some of the worst I've seen in a JRPG for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom