• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

jesus fuck, now there's a bad localization. I'm not sure if that game was inscrutable because it was shit or if it was because half of what it told you didn't make any sense.

Well, any game based on SAO is going to be garbage, but I'm certain the horrible localization didn't help. Cyber Sleuth is bad, SAO might be one of the all time worst.

Well, any game based on SAO is going to be garbage, but I'm certain the horrible localization didn't help. Cyber Sleuth is bad, SAO might be one of the all time worst.

aside from the fact that you're in a game where you have to deal with SAO characters doing SAO shit, it actually could have been a pretty good game. some of the systems worked well and it wasn't terrible to actually play, and the setting itself is halfway interesting.

but then they made it an unending nightmare of endless fetch quests and for all the emphasis they put on the harem stuff, even that was shallow and shitty

SAO should be illegal

yami4ct

aside from the fact that you're in a game where you have to deal with SAO characters doing SAO shit, it actually could have been a pretty good game. some of the systems worked well and it wasn't terrible to actually play, and the setting itself is halfway interesting.

but then they made it an unending nightmare of endless fetch quests and for all the emphasis they put on the harem stuff, even that was shallow and shitty

SAO should be illegal

I mean, sure SAO has some good ideas, but pretty much all those good ideas were lifted whole cloth from .Hack. If you were to make a good SAO game and remove all the awful characters and harem shit SAO fans expect, you'd basically be making a modern .Hack.

God, they should make a modern .Hack. Those games were so cool and ambitious. If you tightened up the combat and quest design with modern tech, you could make something really amazing. Too bad CyberConnect 2 is going to be stuck doing FF7R probably for the next decade.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If we're talking about giant bomb interactions, I talked to Jeff and everyone at the BLLSL meetup. And brad still has the sunglasses I gave him in honor of this thread and haircut.

⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Megasoum

Banned
Watching the latest Vinnyvania.... While Rondo is definitly more difficult than 4, I feel like Vinny is making a lot of weird mistakes while playing.

yami4ct

So when is Sony putting the .hack GU games up on the PS4 with trophy support?

Given the exceptionally low print runs for Part 4 of the original series and all the GU games, I have to imagine the .Hack fanbase is so small that even that wouldn't pay. One can only hope, though.

I also remember the original games having some weird issues on PCSX2, so they might actually be a bit tricky to emulate. That stuff might be all worked out by now, and a non fan project would likely find that shit easier to implement.

I thought Lost Song's gameplay and overall progression structure was decent, though that's about as positive as my general opinion on it is.

Doop

So do MMOs (and games in general I guess) just not have demos anymore? I was watching the Black Desert Online quick look, and thought "I kinda want to try this character creator out". I searched for a trial/demo, and found out my only option at the moment was getting a guest pass from someone who pre-ordered. That's crazy! I'm sure it'll go F2P eventually, but it's still annoying.

Edit: Also their character not getting saved seems like a really annoying bug.

So do MMOs (and games in general I guess) just not have demos anymore? I was watching the Black Desert Online quick look, and thought "I kinda want to try this character creator out". I searched for a trial/demo, and found out my only option at the moment was getting a guest pass from someone who pre-ordered. That's crazy! I'm sure it'll go F2P eventually, but it's still annoying.

I just got a bravely second demo from Best Buy.

That's pretty cool I guess. I like the job system.

Bowlie

Banned

Edit: Also their character not getting saved seems like a really annoying bug.

As they said, the character creator tool was available for some weeks a while ago in many countries. I can't use it where I live, so I don't know if it's still available.

edit: Bummer :/

yami4ct

Twilight Princess has to be one of the wordiest Zeldas ever. I certainly don't remember people in Windwaker or Skyward Sword talking this much. SS had those awful tutorial messages and quite a bit of dialogue, but these people go on forever.

Twilight Princess has to be one of the wordiest Zeldas ever. I certainly don't remember people in Windwaker or Skyward Sword talking this much. SS had those awful tutorial messages and quite a bit of dialogue, but these people go on forever.

I can see this driving me mad when I start it up. Ten years ago, Twilight Princess's slow start was okay coming off Okami.

yami4ct

I can see this driving me mad when I start it up. Ten years ago, Twilight Princess's slow start was okay coming off Okami.

The first 3 hours or so pre-Forest Temple are pretty awful. Got through them last night. Now that I got to and through my first real dungeon, it's better. Wolf Link parts are still horrendous and people still talk too much, though.

yami4ct

that opening was most definitely not OK 10 years ago.

hype is a fuel that drives great powers of denial.

I think the problems of the opening are a bit overstated. It's 3 hours of a 60 hour game. It's bad, but the game has far more things worth criticizing.

It's an indictment of Okami, if anything. Although speaking broadly, my tolerance for faff in games has fallen quite low.

I think more games, especially those that want to tell a story, need to learn how to slow down and just build. The problem with TP isn't that the opening is slow, it's that it's boring. You can be slow and interesting.

Brashnir

I think the problems of the opening are a bit overstated. It's 3 hours of a 60 hour game. It's bad, but the game has far more things worth criticizing.

it's 3 hours of a 2 hour game for some of us. I don't have time to put up with that shit.

Somewhere along the line, Zelda became slow and ponderous as shit. Everything takes 3-4 times as long as it needs to for absolutely no reason.

yami4ct

it's 3 hours of a 2 hour game for some of us. I don't have time to put up with that shit.

That criticism always seems half baked to me. If you were willing to consider a 60 hour game, you have time to put up with a 3 hour bad into. If you're put off, the game probably has bigger issues that weren't sitting well with you (Which is fine, because TP has issues).

yami4ct

It's been like that with every 3D Zelda.

Although I don't mind Majora's intro outside of the hide and seek.

I mean, pretty much every Zelda going back to ALTTP stats slow. The problem is whether those intros do enough to justify that slow pace. A lot of the 3D Zeldas don't. SS doesn't, Majora's Mask doesn't and TP really doesn't.

Brashnir

I mean, pretty much every Zelda going back to ALTTP stats slow. The problem is whether those intros do enough to justify that slow pace. A lot of the 3D Zeldas don't. SS doesn't, Majora's Mask doesn't and TP really doesn't.

it's like 2 hours before you get a sword in TP. Bullshit it doesn't start slow.

I think more games, especially those that want to tell a story, need to learn how to slow down and just build. The problem with TP isn't that the opening is slow, it's that it's boring. You can be slow and interesting.

In fairness, it can be crazy subjective as well. Yakuza 3 has a notoriously sluggish start that I found charming.

Dumping on my subjective claim from a sentence ago, Wind Waker's intro is expedient in taking you to the heart of it. In practice Outset and Forsaken Fortress as tutorials aren't terribly removed from TP and SS. But your sister is kidnapped in minutes and it frames those sequences as the adventure. Wherein TP and SS, it's the prelude to the adventure.

yami4ct

it's like 2 hours before you get a sword in TP. Bullshit it doesn't start slow.

I'm not saying it doesn't start slow. I'm saying it doesn't do anything to justify the pace. It's probably the worst about that in the series. Both ALTTP and Windwaker for instance do a good job using that time to world build well, and thus the slow pace feels well used. Twilight Princess tries to do that, but the world has very little life and charm and the village sucks. That's the real reason why the slow start is an issue. It's symptomatic of a lot of larger issues with the game.

Brashnir

Back in my day, you got a sword within 2 minutes with minimal exposition and then you immediately start dicing dudes.

Damn right.

I was actually just playing Zelda 1 a couple hours ago. Still the best one

I'm not saying it doesn't start slow. I'm saying it doesn't do anything to justify the pace. It's probably the worst about that. Bot ALTTP and Windwaker for instance do a good job using that time to world build well, and thus the slow pace feels well used. Twilight Princess tries to do that, but the world has very little life and charm and the village sucks. That's the real reason why the slow start is an issue. It's symptomatic of a lot of larger issues with the game.

Fair enough. apologies for misinterpreting.

yami4ct

In fairness, it can be crazy subjective as well. Yakuza 3 has a notoriously sluggish start that I found charming.

Dumping on my subjective claim from a sentence ago, Wind Waker's intro is expedient in taking you to the heart of it. In practice Outset and Forsaken Fortress as tutorials aren't terribly removed from TP and SS. But your sister is kidnapped in minutes and it frames those sequences as the adventure. Wherein TP and SS, it's the prelude to the adventure.

One might argue that the slow parts of Yakuza 3 are the only good parts of that game.

Twilight Princess actually doesn't take very long for shit to start going down. The problem is, that shit going down involves kidnaped shitty neighbor kids and being Wolf Link. Wolf Link sucks.

You could also argue that the failings of the intro narrative are in part due to the awful art direction of TP. Part of the reason you feel a sense of urgency around the kidnapping of Link's sister in Windwaker is the game sells you on her. She's an extremely visually charming character. The neighbor kids in TP both are assholes and they look like subhuman alien monsters. Why should I care about saving them?

My thing with TP was that I got serious dungeon fatigue when you get to the back half and it becomes basically dungeon after dungeon back to back, with not enough breathing room in between.

Ocarina of Time was probably the worst offender for me. Like that game is painfully bad for a long while, then you finally hit the amazing forest temple. Shame the game takes another nose dive after that until the Spirit Temple.

yami4ct

Ocarina of Time was probably the worst offender for me. Like that game is painfully bad for a long while, then you finally hit the amazing forest temple. Shame the game takes another nose dive after that until the Spirit Temple.

It's not in the intro category, but the Swamp Section in Majora's Mask might be my least favorite section in any Zelda ever. The stealth shit in the Deku palace, dealing with shitty platforming with shitty poison water, the slow ass boat ride. It's all awful. Then again, the dungeon stuff in MM is extremely weak anyway.

And I totally agree with your OOT criticisms. Pretty much anything in the young link side really didn't hold my attention.

It's not in the intro category, but the Swamp Section in Majora's Mask might be my least favorite section in any Zelda ever. The stealth shit in the Deku palace, dealing with shitty platforming with shitty poison water, the slow ass boat ride. It's all awful. Then again, the dungeon stuff in MM is extremely weak anyway.

And I totally agree with your OOT criticisms. Pretty much anything in the young link side really didn't hold my attention.

Yup, Majora's dungeon's are arguably the weakest in the series. It's the stuff outside of it, especially in Clock Town, that I really like about it, though the Swamp area was mediocre.

Though Stone Tower Temple on the other hand is probably my favorite dungeon in the franchise.

Been watching some Breaking Brad Demon's Souls while I play that game and I am looking forward to forthcoming future Souls based premium video now that Dark 3 is coming.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
tommy tallarico in china for a concert in the dota 2 tournament. Had to think for a second where I just saw him then remembered UPF last week lol.

yami4ct

I think I'm actually going to wait on Dark Souls 3. After being super let down by DS2 and mildly disappointed by Bloodborne, I kinda want to wait and see if DS3 is the game I want it to be. I'm also super afraid of getting burned out on Souls games, so I think I want to give it a couple months.

All that there is to say I have 3 Fire Emblems to play and no time for another frustration game.

Tubobutts

Been watching some Breaking Brad Demon's Souls while I play that game and I am looking forward to forthcoming future Souls based premium video now that Dark 3 is coming.
I hope they use their cross-coast technology if they do something with that game. I want Vinny, Rorie, and Brad being lied to by Vinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom