• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I think I'm actually going to wait on Dark Souls 3. After being super let down by DS2 and mildly disappointed by Bloodborne, I kinda want to wait and see if DS3 is the game I want it to be. I'm also super afraid of getting burned out on Souls games, so I think I want to give it a couple months.

All that there is to say I have 3 Fire Emblems to play and no time for another frustration game.

i'm sure a serving of a DkS3 Quick Look will help.

yami4ct

I'm 12 minutes into the BDO QL.

Does it ever get funny or should I just stick to McElroys for making Borth?

If Dan going 'turn the shiny to 100' all the time isn't funny to you, go ahead and skip. The QL is pretty much all that in the character creator segment.

yami4ct

is it that bad?

I frankly couldn't get out of the character creator segment because Dan's particular brand of humor ruined it and went on for too long.

I love Dan, but they should get someone actually knowledgeable about MMOs for MMO QL. Him shit talking and being silly all the time just makes it go too long and removes any useful info you could get from it.

LiK

I frankly couldn't get out of the character creator segment because Dan's particular brand of humor ruined it and went on for too long.

I love Dan, but they should get someone actually knowledgeable about MMOs for MMO QL. Him shit talking and being silly all the time just makes it go too long and removes any useful info you could get from it.

oh, that's a shame. guess Rorie or Brad should've been there.

Brashnir

What useful info could there be? It's an MMO. The numbers get bigger. What else is there to say?

edit - at least in a QL-like environment. You're not going to see anything of consequence in any MMO in the time they spend in one.

Gimme your list!

There are some parts of São Paulo that are accurate in it, others aren't.

you'd think that if you were writing dialogue for a character as distinct and memorable as Max Payne, you'd try really hard to not make him talk like pretty much every other Rockstar protagonist ever (Why yes, Max, talk all snarkily about Capitalism!)

you'd think that if you were going to change the series' signature cutscene style, that you'd at least make sure that those cutscenes A: weren't compressed to shit (Where the fuck are those 30 gigabytes I downloaded?), and B: were at least 60FPS considering the way it attempts to "seamlessly" weave in and out of them

you'd think if you were to change post-MP2 "I've moved on from what happened" Max to "I'm still tortured by what happened," that they'd at least address why

you'd think that if you were going to bite Kane & Lynch 2's style, that you'd do it better than Kane & Lynch 2

The idea of QLing an MMO kinda makes it obvious you're not gonna get much from it unless you have multiple saves and can show off different sections of the game in a short timeframe.

yami4ct

What useful info could there be? It's an MMO. The numbers get bigger. What else is there to say?

edit - at least in a QL-like environment. You're not going to see anything of consequence in any MMO in the time they spend in one.

I feel like having someone like Rorie ask the right questions really helps speed things along and actually does get all the useful info you could get out of that situation.

With Dan's particular brand of anarchy, you just end up spending way too long doing bullshit and get absolutely zero value out of watching the video. If his humor isn't hitting (Which for me and the BD QL, it very much wasn't), you lose any entertainment value as well.

yami4ct

If we can get the Dan we got in the QL who was actually trying to make weird and interesting plans to execute and not 'just shoot that dude like a cool dude' Dan, I would watch that.

Bowlie

Banned
you'd think that if you were writing dialogue for a character as distinct and memorable as Max Payne, you'd try really hard to not make him talk like pretty much every other Rockstar protagonist ever (Why yes, Max, talk all snarkily about Capitalism!)

you'd think that if you were going to change the series' signature cutscene style, that you'd at least make sure that those cutscenes A: weren't compressed to shit, and B: were at least 60FPS considering the way it attempts to "seamlessly" weave in and out of them

you'd think if you were to change post-MP2 "I've moved on from what happened" Max to "I'm still tortured by what happened," that they'd at least address why

1 - Yeah. If he spent a little more time messing around in São Paulo he'd absorb the easygoingness we all have and start to act in a more pleasant way.

2 - Computer parts are expensive here so you wouldn't see them as beautifully as they could be anyway at that time, unless you were rich (but capitalism!).

3 - If he had found the right spots in the city he could have had a lot of fun even if he kept drinking. We also have therapists here. But hey, he spent 9 years moping around in his country, don't blame us for that.

LiK

Just watched some of the Black Desert QL. wasn't too bad although I think messing around with MMO character creators is way better in UPF environment.

I do have to say that the character models in this game are gorgeous. I wanna play it just to create sexy chicks lol

yami4ct

This mine dungeon in Twilight Princess is like a Fire Dungeon and Water Dungeon merged into one and it's actually pretty damn cool.

yami4ct

maya fey~

I kinda don't need Maya back in the same way I don't need Phoenix back. After PW3, I felt pretty complete with those characters.

On the other hand, I really like Maya, so I can't not be excited. I really hope Athena ends up coming back sometime as well. I actually really dug her in PW5.

just drivin by to say that Max Payne 3 was awesome.

have a good night!

is switching to a scanline filter every three seconds awesome, or is that just annoying

the gameplay's fine, but god damn, man

EDIT: sorry for pretty much being off-topic when I get pissy about that when other people do it

if it makes you feel any better, I started playing through the games because of Demo Derby

JonCha

Yeah, I was interested to see them play Black Desert but I have no desire to sit through a character creator for goodness knows how long with them just messing around with.

I feel like every time they QL an MMO they automatically seem uninterested.

yami4ct

Guys, maybe I've been driven insane, but I'm starting to come around on Twilight Princess.

Divorced from Windwaker, it's a lot easier to see that game for what it does well. It's actually the inverse of Windwaker's quality. Windwaker's dungeons were a bit bland and unmemorable, but the connective tissue really drove the experience and created an amazing world full of adventure and pushed those problems far back. Here, the connective tissue is bland and makes the game seem an absolute failure compared to WW, but the dungeons themselves are super interesting and just fun to explore. Windwaker is a game that thrived on exploration where Twilight Princess really builds itself on dungeoneering and puzzle solving. The boss design and some of the enemy design in TP are really neat as well.

Wolf Link aside (he still is awful), the overworld of Twilight Princess isn't bad like a, say Majora's Mask. The problem is it's just a slight tweak on a Hyrule we've seen many times before and it feels soulless because of it.

The dungeons are really damn good though and keep me pushing through what I don't dig as much. Man, I'm becoming one of those crazy people that's going to defend Twilight Princess now, aren't I? Going in, I never expected I would end up feeling this positive on it relatively quickly. I'm glad I'm revisiting.

Sakwoff

Disclaimer: I'm not really into Castlevania at all. Maybe uninformed opinion:

It's crazy how much better Rondo of Blood seems compared to Super just by watching the videos. Man, what a cool game. The music, the sprites, how snappy everything is...

...the super cheesy/bad 90's anime...

Disclaimer: I'm not really into Castlevania at all. Maybe uninformed opinion:

It's crazy how much better Rondo of Blood seems compared to Super just by watching the videos. Man, what a cool game. The music, the sprites, how snappy everything is...

...the super cheesy/bad 90's anime...

To be fair, SCIV was made in the first year of the SNES' release, and Rondo was for a console that had been around for five years.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, SCIV was made in the first year of the SNES' release, and Rondo was for a console that had been around for five years.

The only goddamn reason that game's held up so highly is how much better it looks than CV 1-3 and how good Simon's theme is. CV4 is so damn mediocre.

It's no Bloodlines, I tell you what

And Max Payne 3 is Rockstar ruining the character and the franchise for reasons Piston mentioned.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Maybe it's just me feeling fatigued from a pretty grueling fight.

But I'm starting to feel that there might be too much dragon's dogma.

chrixter

The dungeons are really damn good though and keep me pushing through what I don't dig as much. Man, I'm becoming one of those crazy people that's going to defend Twilight Princess now, aren't I?
Nah, you've just come around to what's been pretty much the consensus on TP for, like, ever. Arguably the best dungeons in the series but otherwise an unexceptional and uninspired game.

TP's fantastic dungeon design is enough for me to consider it a good game, but I can understand why for other people it would fall short of what they value in and expect from the Zelda franchise.

demidar

Maybe it's just me feeling fatigued from a pretty grueling fight.

But I'm starting to feel that there might be too much dragon's dogma.

Bitterblack Island in Dragon's Dogma surfaces plenty of fatal problems with the game, namely how dumb pawns are when put up against the more interesting enemies and how damage is calculated (straight up attack - defense, meaning it's likely to do 1 damage per hit).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Bitterblack Island in Dragon's Dogma surfaces plenty of fatal problems with the game, namely how dumb pawns are when put up against the more interesting enemies and how damage is calculated (straight up attack - defense, meaning it's likely to do 1 damage per hit).

It's also the best part of the game tho. Made me wish the entire thing was just a dungeon crawler.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It's more like, hey,
you defeated the seemingly final boss!
Now go
collect some stuff in another dungeon
to get the ending!

Just feels anticlimatic I guess. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Meneses

It's more like, hey,
you defeated the seemingly final boss!
Now go
collect some stuff in another dungeon
to get the ending!

Just feels anticlimatic I guess. Hope it doesn't take too long.

If the thought of more Dragon's Dogma doesn't keep you going and you're feeling kinda impacient, you might as well stop there and move on to another game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom