• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, I don't necessarily not want to play more dragon's dogma, it's just that I'm feeling a bit spent after
fighting the dragon, who is kind of a fucker when you forgot to stockpile on more stamina stuff and play a class that is mainly about managing cooldowns (sorcerer).
I'll probably sleep on it and get back to finish post-game, but I need, NEED to move on with my life. :p

Still loving the combat, which is great, but everything else about the game just feels... stilted I guess? Everything about the world, characters, and story are like the worst parts of a bethesda games. Also that fucking stamina system. I mean, I understand why, but stamina is the woooooooorst.

Antiwhippy

Am I severely underestimating their popularity or does that stage seem a bit big for them?

Also man they're really moving more and more into edm.

Jintor

I think they're getting pushed more. But the last Live I was at was like... I dunno. Standing room only, but it was a fairly small club.

Just discovered they've got a free event in Osaka next week and then I've got to brave this ticket ordering system and see if I want it by courier or to figure out familymart's weird print-off ticket thing...

Antiwhippy

That's the killer bit isn't it.

Oh hey, this character creator really allows me to build a character to explore a new world!

Now go kill 5 foxes!

Jintor

single player game char creators where you don't ever see your own face are strange

at least in fallout you got that bad-looking 3rd person mode and vats

Meneses

Nah, I don't necessarily not want to play more dragon's dogma, it's just that I'm feeling a bit spent after (...)

Yeah,I first played DD when it came out and it left me wanting more of it, so by the time the expanded version came out I was super ready to go back to it.

But if the game had been this long from the beginning, I might have burned out a bit by the end.

That being said, i'm still sad that I cannot replay it on my shitty laptop :(

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I don't necessarily not want to play more dragon's dogma, it's just that I'm feeling a bit spent after
fighting the dragon, who is kind of a fucker when you forgot to stockpile on more stamina stuff and play a class that is mainly about managing cooldowns (sorcerer).
I'll probably sleep on it and get back to finish post-game, but I need, NEED to move on with my life. :p

Still loving the combat, which is great, but everything else about the game just feels... stilted I guess? Everything about the world, characters, and story are like the worst parts of a bethesda games. Also that fucking stamina system. I mean, I understand why, but stamina is the woooooooorst.

All of this is why you should play Bitterblack Island. None of the half-assed open world stuff or story, just a pure dungeon crawler. Mod out encumbrance and you're good to go (encumbrance and stamina are fucking awful in this game I agree. Spamming recovery items is a poor design crutch).

demidar

All of this is why you should play Bitterblack Island. None of the half-assed open world stuff or story, just a pure dungeon crawler. Mod out encumbrance and you're good to go (encumbrance and stamina are fucking awful in this game I agree. Spamming recovery items is a poor design crutch).

BBI knocked DD:DA from a 8/10 game to a 6/10 game for me.

I detest it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
BBI knocked DD:DA from a 8/10 game to a 6/10 game for me.

I detest it.

This is baffling to me because BBI made it go from like an 8/10 to a 9.5/10 for me. I want a whole game of that. It's one of the best dungeon crawler ARPGs I've ever played. That combat system, there's nothing like it in a game like that.

Haunted

The repeated rooms in Everfall and BBI really bring them down. I don't care how constrained your budget is, copy-pasting room assets wholesale is a big no-no.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The repeated rooms in Everfall and BBI really bring them down. I don't care how constrained your budget is, copy-pasting room assets wholesale is a big no-no.

I agree in Everfall but didn't mind in BBI, because the rooms weren't actually just boring empty hallways like in Everfall, and were laid out differently. At the end of the day, I'd rather take more BBI with some repetition than less of it. It's the action that matters anyway. Especially since BBI was a relatively cheap DLC that I got dozens of hours out of. I'm cool with it.

Am I severely underestimating their popularity or does that stage seem a bit big for them?

that's just the normal Music Japan stage. it's like a band performing on the Tonight Show and asking if that's their normal crowd. except if the Tonight show was once a week and had 8 acts perform.

but it does never stop being kind of funny when they show the crowd and they're sitting there politely and looking bored. usually a bunch of old people.

demidar

This is baffling to me because BBI made it go from like an 8/10 to a 9.5/10 for me. I want a whole game of that. It's one of the best dungeon crawler ARPGs I've ever played. That combat system, there's nothing like it in a game like that.

I think the combat system is kinda weak. Game needs more things that cross classes (skills aren't enough); its current job system is undercooked. Also hate how when fighting those phantom knights my shitty mages won't cast any spells, or will start casting right in their face and get instagibbed. Dragons have one of the worst climbing maps ever, constantly switching between relative and absolute movements, particularly around the forelegs. I've had pawns jump over chests into the abyss behind, killing themselves without being revivable. Equipment being random drops fucking sucks when the jump in damage is so high, I have 5 of the same shield yet lack a single bow. It's pretty shitty how 4 corrupted pawns was 3x tougher than the final boss as a result of how broken the damage calculation is (they have the same moveset as players so their startups are near instant, but deal massive damage and have high mobility and can combo you to death). When fighting undead, my stupid pawns stupidly enchant my weapons with dark, even when they have the ability to enchant with holy (even worse when my weapon already has a holy enchant on it by default).

Lettuce

Ive noticed Vinny saying this a few times about the HDMI standard and he just said it again on the Beastcast a few weeks back, an not sure why he hates it so!?....im guessing 'hankshake' issues maybe!?

Where has he got the idea that HDMI is going to get replaced!!??. HDMI is going to be around for the foreseable future, the latest version will support up to 8K and beyond, it supports HD DD and DTS audio all on 1 cable...why would this ever get replace for like the next 20 years or so!!, i dont really see how another format could come along that could improve upon it in anyway!!???

Antiwhippy

Ive noticed Vinny saying this a few times about the HDMI standard and he just said it again on the Beastcast a few weeks back, an not sure why he hates it so!?....im guessing 'hankshake' issues maybe!?

Where has he got the idea that HDMI is going to get replaced!!??. HDMI is going to be around for the foreseable future, the latest version will support up to 8K and beyond, it supports HD DD and DTS audio all on 1 cable...why would this ever get replace for like the next 20 years or so!!, i dont really see how another format could come along that could improve upon it in anyway!!???

HDCP fucks with their capture gear iirc.

Vinny just wants to move to a future where everything is cat6.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think the combat system is kinda weak. Game needs more things that cross classes (skills aren't enough); its current job system is undercooked. Also hate how when fighting those phantom knights my shitty mages won't cast any spells, or will start casting right in their face and get instagibbed. Dragons have one of the worst climbing maps ever, constantly switching between relative and absolute movements, particularly around the forelegs. I've had pawns jump over chests into the abyss behind, killing themselves without being revivable. Equipment being random drops fucking sucks when the jump in damage is so high, I have 5 of the same shield yet lack a single bow. It's pretty shitty how 4 corrupted pawns was 3x tougher than the final boss as a result of how broken the damage calculation is (they have the same moveset as players so their startups are near instant, but deal massive damage and have high mobility and can combo you to death). When fighting undead, my stupid pawns stupidly enchant my weapons with dark, even when they have the ability to enchant with holy (even worse when my weapon already has a holy enchant on it by default).

Most of that is true ime, but the only thing here that really bothered me is how shitty climbing dragons is. The other stuff I just kind of take for granted, I dunno. Not a fan of living armors or enemies only weak to a certain kind of damage for reasons you stated, but other than that I still think BBI was amazing for what it was. idk I just kind of approached it as a dungeon crawler retrofitted onto this game that wasn't really meant to be one, but if they tightened all this up in a sequel and designed the whole game around that rather than the lame open world it would pretty much be my dream game.

demidar

Most of that is true ime, but the only thing here that really bothered me is how shitty climbing dragons is. The other stuff I just kind of take for granted, I dunno. Not a fan of living armors or enemies only weak to a certain kind of damage for reasons you stated, but other than that I still think BBI was amazing for what it was. idk I just kind of approached it as a dungeon crawler retrofitted onto this game that wasn't really meant to be one, but if they tightened all this up in a sequel and designed the whole game around that rather than the lame open world it would pretty much be my dream game.

A Dragon's Dogma 2: Dogma of Dragons that irons out all those problems could be amazing.

Johnny V's laughter sounds like Rorie's sometimes and for a second - while not paying attention - I thought Rorie was sitting there. Then I realized it's another Rorie-less UPF and everything was okay again.

What useful info could there be? It's an MMO. The numbers get bigger. What else is there to say?

edit - at least in a QL-like environment. You're not going to see anything of consequence in any MMO in the time they spend in one.

I know its a meme that they don't "get" games, but their MMO critiques outside of The Puppy Petting One is kinda rough, admittedly.

As2LbDU.png

NIN90

What is it about Jeff where watching 5+ years old footage of him makes him look like a 16 year old?
I mean look at that Good Morning America clip! He looks like straight outta Junior High.

Straight Outta Junior High is the name of my new album, dropping May 2016.

edit: Bailed out of this Talisman QL about 6 minutes in. Not the game for me.

Meneses

I managed 10 minutes.

I'm going back to watering crops and working on social links with people who all look like they're the same age even though some are parents and children.

Speaking of board games, they talked about Stratego not long ago on a podcast or video and I've been playing that lately. It's a great game. I think I'm gonna get Clue and play that next. Never tried it and it sounds fun.

Wunder

So it's like the space game GBeast quick looked last month?

Tharsis? Haven't played that but you at least have some choice there, though you can get fucked by dice rolls. In Talisman, as far as I remember, it was pretty much like a monopoly/LIFE except you could maybe choose between some outcomes on a space you landed on? I can't really remember it was a while ago.

Xater

Speaking of board games, they talked about Stratego not long ago on a podcast or video and I've been playing that lately. It's a great game. I think I'm gonna get Clue and play that next. Never tried it and it sounds fun.

You should visit the board gaming thread, where people can help you find tons of great board games. Clue is not one of those. These old Hasbro board games are jut not very good and compared to modern designer board games they are straight up trash.

You should visit the board gaming thread, where people can help you find tons of great board games. Clue is not one of those. These old Hasbro board games are jut not very good and compared to modern designer board games they are straight up trash.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom