• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimaka

I never touch the advanced options in editors but I appreciate ones with enough basic options that I can approximate what I'm looking for

also I like to play dressup, give me lots of clothes...

Half the fun in MMOs is tracking down clothing/armor pieces and making outfits. Gotta look the dopest when slaying dragons.

yami4ct

whoa, don't just put all sliders in your mouth

there is a fine line between a good slider and a bad slider

I mean, there isn't that fine a line.

Is the slider some sort of hamburger with ketchup, mustard, cheese and maybe onion? You're alright. Anything else can go in the garbage.

yami4ct

Wait, why is Rondo in German?

Japan loves German. You see random german show up in all sorts of Japanese media. It's a thing.

Also, there's the Dracula/Transylvania connection and most people associate anything eastern european with Germany a lot of the time.

Have you ever had a slider that wasn't from White Castle? The line's finer than you think.

What if I told you I've never been to a White Castle? They aren't really a thing around here.

Brashnir

Alright, you guys "helped" me before with this. Should I play Max Payne 3 or Mario Maker?

whoa, don't just put all sliders in your mouth

there is a fine line between a good slider and a bad slider

Look, if you want all your personal character creation sliders to go to the right, you need to put all the sliders in your mouth.

Pushing everything to the right doesn't necessarily make everything good.

Rondo of Blood looks like a really, really good game. How did it only get released for the PC Engine? And only in Japan? Was Castlevania just not big in the US yet or what?

edit: nevermind, I guess it came to the SNES in the us and was called Castlevania: Dracula X? Wikipedia didn't make that obvious.

Nishastra

Banned
Rondo of Blood looks like a really, really good game. How did it only get released for the PC Engine? And only in Japan? Was Castlevania just not big in the US yet or what?

edit: nevermind, I guess it came to the SNES in the us and was called Castlevania: Dracula X? Wikipedia didn't make that obvious.
I mean, Dracula X is sort of a port, but not really. It's like a different (not as good) game using a lot of the same assets.

Japan loves German. You see random german show up in all sorts of Japanese media. It's a thing.

Also, there's the Dracula/Transylvania connection and most people associate anything eastern european with Germany a lot of the time.

What if I told you I've never been to a White Castle? They aren't really a thing around here.

Best part? Alot of germans had moved to transylvania long ago!

Konami did their research is what I'm saying. ;)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
By bad you mean bad ass of course, it's also the best 3rd person shooter of the previous generation.

I shouldn't have said anything this debate happens in this thread like every other week and no one changes anybody's mind ever. I don't know why we keep coming back to it either it's not like Max Payne is some hot topic around the Giant Bomb offices.

I shouldn't have said anything this debate happens in this thread like every other week and no one changes anybody's mind ever. I don't know why we keep coming back to it either it's not like Max Payne is some hot topic around the Giant Bomb offices.

Lol I'm just conditioned to defend Max Payne 3 for that very reason. We shall call a truce.

Yeah, sorry. The Demo Derby blue-balling was the catalyst for me to finally play through the games after having them on Steam for years. I've seen 3 brought up a bunch and now that I'm actually playing through it I want to be a part of the discussion.

It feels great to play but it falls into pretty much every "bad linear shooter level design" trap in the book, and the writing is typical Rockstar which doesn't suit the series at all. "Have an inner monologue" is pretty much the only trait they really nail down for Max, and it seems like he says "chump" every five minutes when he had never said it in the past two games.

It's like Saints Row the Third, where the level of polish is great, but everything else makes me miss the games preceding it.

I remember purchasing and beating Max Payne 3 and I honest to god can't remember why I bought it.

It was so unmemorable. I bought it for some mysterious reason, played it, beat it, and forget about it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It does, but whenever cool shit happens, it's mostly scripted and feels a little shallow as a result. In the first two games, the cool shit happened on your own terms.

It's Sonic the Hedgehog automatically going through loops.

Also you rarely get to play for more than 5 minutes without interruption, the pacing is so aggravating. Rockstar's heavy-handed storytelling really chaffs against the supposedly fast and furious nature of the gameplay. MP1&2 saved the cut-scenes for between missions, for the most part. MP3 stops and starts and hardly ever builds up any real momentum.

LiK

Watching UPF and JohnnyV mentioned he got a divorce. I was wondering why he didn't have a wedding ring. Dang

Also you rarely get to play for more than 5 minutes without interruption, the pacing is so aggravating. Rockstar's heavy-handed storytelling really chaffs against the supposedly fast and furious nature of the gameplay. MP1&2 saved the cut-scenes for between missions, for the most part. MP3 stops and starts and hardly ever builds up any real momentum.

In Max Payne 1 and 2, I got excited whenever I saw a doorway because that meant I got to dive through it and ice every motherfucker behind it.

In Max Payne 3, I dread any doors I see because it means it's time for another cutscene.

The Dracula X on SNES is pretty much a different thing, sort of like a Dracula X: Remix. It has the same story (Richter saving his girlfriend and going after dracky), but the level layouts and bosses are largely different. There's no playable Maria, only two alternate levels, and exploration is greatly reduced, though there is a bit more of an incentive to saving Richter's girlfriend:
Saving both Annette and Maria is required to get the best ending, and failure to save Annette changes the boss of Stage VI from Death to Carmilla.

It's generally considered to be a pretty notable downgrade from the original, though the music is still really good on the SNES' sound chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom