• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
So..... is it just me or is Demons souls kind of better then dark Souls?

It seems more consistent quality wise and less up its own button with secrets.

everyones first souls is their favorite souls

Dark 1 was my first though.

And I am playing demons now for the 1th time and I think it's more basic feature set and design actually makes for a more smooth experience.

Plus less giant enemies you have to kill by stabbing their feet.

Bowlie

Banned
Dark 1 was my first though.

And I am playing demons now for the 1th time and I think it's more basic feature set and design actually makes for a more smooth experience.

Plus less giant enemies you have to kill by stabbing their feet.

well... how far are you in?

edit: so you did 1-2 then ;P

All the stage 1's are down.

Only have 3-2 and 5-2 left on the 2's.

My understanding is the stage 3s are mostly weird gimmick bosses which I guess will be as hit and miss as all other souks gimmick bosses.

Theyre not gimmick bosses as they are quite awesome bosses. Some very unique concepts.

I'll be impressed when Vinny or Alex pulls this off:
0uXn2MD.gif

Jintor

Ah, I probably haven't read that then.

I should get back to more murakami. Always wanted to get into his less esoteric stuff like Norwegian wood.

Norwegian Wood is a painful but brilliant experience.

Did anyone end up compiling that Beastcast Book Club segment and all the recs they put out?

justjim89

Which Elder Scrolls do y'all fancy most? I've put about 12 more hours into Morrowind the past week, pushing through the fighter's guild and main quest with a Geralt of Rivia build. Every new piece of Morrowind I discover for the first time just astounds me. Really incredible worldbuilding. It's a shame that since then, Bethesda has stuck with pretty traditional fantasy.

yami4ct

Which Elder Scrolls do y'all fancy most? I've put about 12 hours into Morrowind the past week, pushing through the fighter's guild and main quest with a Geralt of Rivia build. Every new piece of Morrowind I discover for the first time just astounds me. Really incredible worldbuilding. It's a shame that since then, Bethesda has stuck with pretty traditional fantasy.

Oblivion will always be the best balance for me. Morrowind is a bit too obtuse and really old PCRPG for my taste, while Skyrim is an over streamlined bore.

Bacon

Oblivion was probably my first big rpg so I have a lot of reverence for that one but I also put a shameful amount of time into skyrim as well so i have a lot of love for that game too.

justjim89

Oblivion will always be the best balance for me. Morrowind is a bit too obtuse and really old PCRPG for, while Skyrim is an over streamlined bore.

I could see that. I've never really given Oblivion a fair shake. I have 80 hours in Morrowind and about 200 in Skyrim, but only about 20 or so in Oblivion. It just strikes me as such a middling half-measure between the hard edge and classic RPG elements of Morrowind vs. streamlined playability of Skyrim. But I keep meaning to play through it, as I've heard Oblivion has the best guilds, and more interesting quests.

Tubobutts

Oblivion will always be the best balance for me. Morrowind is a bit too obtuse and really old PCRPG for, while Skyrim is an over streamlined bore.
What's weird about that is that I'd say Oblivion is my least favorite of those three. Even though it is between the other two in a lot of ways I like it less than Skyrim. I thiNk it's because I really hated the Oblivion gates.

Despite liking Oblivion the least I like being an Imperial.

And I ve never played Daggerfall or Arena

And to answer the question, probably Skyrim since I probably have the most time with it, but I haven't played Morrowind since it came out.

And I still want to see un-CHIMed Cyrodiil.

You can probably mod Morrowind into the best game in the series, but as someone who played all those games on consoles, Oblivion continues to be the one I have the most fondness for. I like 'em all though.

Skyrim with mods is hard to beat. Y'know, dragons.

In vanilla form, Daggerfall is probably my favourite. It has the best UI of all Elder Scrolls games.

yami4ct

What's weird about that is that I'd say Oblivion is my least favorite of those three. Even though it is between the two I like it less than Skyrim. I thiNk it's because I really hated the Oblivion gates.

Despite liking Oblivion the least I like being an Imperial.

The Oblivion gates are weird, for sure. I get that. The great guilds and other quests make up for it for me, but I could see some issues.

I never want to touch Skyrim again. I found that game so extremely boring.

Kimaka

If I had to choose, it would be Morrowind because at least the world was distinct. Despite spending around 60+ hours in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, none of them really stand out as being clearly better than the other. I tend to fuck around with mods or wander around instead of doing main quests. Maybe one I day I'll go back and try to finish the main storyline of each.

justjim89

Skyrim with mods is hard to beat. Y'know, dragons.

In vanilla form, Daggerfall is probably my favourite. It has the best UI of all Elder Scrolls games.

I went through a week of playing Daggerfall a few months ago. Mostly played through the starter dungeon, went to first town, went to another dungeon for a quest, then realized immunization to paralysis is basically essential. So I restarted, went through the dungeon, went to town, started another quest, and kinda dropped off. Daggerfall is fucking hardcore, but it seems like there's a lot to love about it.

Although the version I downloaded doesn't seem to have a sneak key programmed into the control menu.

Jintor

things I remember from morrowind

a) cliff racers
b) that starting town
c) talking to drug-addled khajiit
d) dude falling out of the sky and starting a quest
e) silt striders
f) sick elves and magic shit
g) vivec and fucking up the chain of prophecy
h) stabbing some dude in a volcano in the face a lot

things I remember from oblivion

a) patrick stewert
b) ???
c) dark brotherhood i guess?
d) jabberwock

things i remember from skyrim

a) FUS ROH DAH
b) dragons

Oblivion eventually put me off OW RPGs for a good long while before W3 proved someone knew what they were doing.

I mean, DB questline, getting that house down on the coast questline, a few random great dungeons but ugh, so much empty calorie fluff.

Dave Snider playing Daggerfall for best

VENGEANCE!

I really wish the Elder Scrolls games would bring back the ability to just murder the fuck out of all of the plot essential NPCs. Let me break the chain of destiny (or whatever they called it in Morrowind) again.

yami4ct

I really wish the Elder Scrolls games would bring back the ability to just murder the fuck out of all of the plot essential NPCs. Let me break the chain of destiny (or whatever they called it in Morrowind) again.

I wish Bethesda would hire actual writers instead of having all the story written by random dudes who have zero clue about plotting.

I went through a week of playing Daggerfall a few months ago. Mostly played through the starter dungeon, went to first town, went to another dungeon for a quest, then realized immunization to paralysis is basically essential. So I restarted, went through the dungeon, went to town, started another quest, and kinda dropped off. Daggerfall is fucking hardcore, but it seems like there's a lot to love about it.

Although the version I downloaded doesn't seem to have a sneak key programmed into the control menu.

You've made it farther than me. It's one of those games I'm super interest in, but just can't commit to playing.

Hardcore is the word.
I wish Bethesda would hire actual writers instead of having all the story written by random dudes who have zero clue about plotting.

Bethesda's writing is just Radiant.

That too. The writing in Skyrim and Fallout 4 was just brutal, especially in the wake of similarly-scaled games like The Witcher 3 that just eat their lunch in that department.

yami4ct

That too. The writing in Skyrim and Fallout 4 was just brutal, especially in the wake of similarly-scaled games like The Witcher 3 that just eat their lunch in that department.

It's absolutely unacceptable by modern standards and I won't buy another Bethesda RPG until they fix it. You can't keep streamlining the game to the point where it's barely an RPG and remove all semblance of good writing. What's left of the game anymore? The clockwork worlds and a bunch of glitches twitch streamers can make fun of? Witcher 3 proved you can make the side quests and mainline matter, and Bethesda can't even give us a main story worth a damn.

Anybody else here try the Uncharted 4 beta? Weird how there's a cover button again. Hardly a third person shooter guy, but of what I played in the recent past, auto-cover was taking over.

Lunar FC

Anybody else notice how often Austin repeats what the last person just said? Or am I crazy?

Anybody else here try the Uncharted 4 beta? Weird how there's a cover button again. Hardly a third person shooter guy, but of what I played in the recent past, auto-cover was taking over.
Ye I played a good amount. I felt the controls in general were hard getting used to.

Rondo of Blood is pretttttty awesome

And the music is pretttty great

Do we know if they'll eventually play Lament of Innocence? The music was tight as fuck then too

yami4ct

Rondo of Blood is pretttttty awesome

And the music is pretttty great

Do we know if they'll eventually play Lament of Innocence? The music was tight as fuck then too

I highly doubt they'll ever do the 3D Castlevanias. Now that we're getting Rondo, I think they'll get through SotN and maybe, a small maybe, go through the GBA/DS games after that.

I wouldn't mind seeing him play through those 3D monstrosities, though. Would probably be more interesting than watching him play Portrait of Ruin, for instance. Cool game, but very much the same thing for the hundredth time.

Tubobutts

I'm bothered by Austin sand Vinny both being those jerks who see Warhammer Fantasy and say "I wish it was 40k blaaaargh"

Brad is also one of those jerks.

Jerks.

fleck0

Has William Pugh (co-creator of Stanley Parable) ever been on a live show? I'm watching tonight's Harmontown (he's in LA working with the the Rick and Morty creator on VR stuff) and I didn't know he was a 22-year old Russel Brand look-alike, he's also pretty funny and quick on his feet as you'd expect if you played his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom