• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Maybe they delayed the Powerbombcast from yesterday to today so Dan and Patrick could record a reaction podcast and staple it onto the end of the show.

The only time that kind of resource issue should be included in an MMO is when it comes part and parcel with "pvp solution to pvp problem" freedoms.

No. They use instances to scale resources appropriately.

Hes right too + to have a stronger "us vs the dungeon" milieu.

Problem is that now theyre not really built with mine or his points in mind any more.

Zaph

These pictures from the WWE thing are great. Real solid end to the Mario Maker feud which produced some of the best content last year.

And the Hulk/Gawker thread is probably the best thread on GAF.

So I guess I like wrestling now?

These pictures from the WWE thing are great. Real solid end to the Mario Maker feud which produced some of the best content last year.

Everyone is a wrestling fan. Some just choose to be more public about it than others.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Watch the Naruto quick look. The best part of it is when they start busting out anime wrestling moves.

A bit too spoiler-y for me, but that's what I get for watching previews.

Yeah, but at the same time it makes me super anxious to know what exactly goes down.
I would have rather it cut at them going "Oh boy" and "That's not good." before they zoomed in. It didn't really show much at that time.

After reading Gita's article and listening to the podcast with her Dwarf Fortress seems interesting as fuck. At least the Legends aspect, sounds weird to actually play.

Frith

yeah and rogue mode makes it sound like you can dabble a bit without having to build a city or whatever.

i'm thinking about maybe finally giving it a proper go

Patryn

Watching Patrick's periscope from yesterday.

He moved back in with his mother??

Wasn't a major factor in his moving back to Chicago the fact that his father passed away?

They might be between places, yes, but it could be a situation where adult children help to take care of an aging parent who's alone.

Checking post history makes that obvious most of the time.

I think I just saw the post that led to it because someone quoted it. The post itself got nuked.

justjim89

Maybe he just thought that was all part of the process of going to a wrestling show.

That's a solid goof, but as a 26 year old wrestling fan who still lives with his parents...

tumblr_inline_o209j2IGKo1r76lqg_500.gif

Martal

Neo Member
Ah yeah that would make sense.

Edit: OK he actually just explained it on the stream... Moved back there in order to save money to eventually buy a house.

Didnt Patrick get married and buy a house though? Wasn't that the reason he went back to Chicago?

Also - I feel like I need to shower after this post.

TraBuch

Banned
That's all just an excuse he made up. In reality, Patrick was just tired of the GB crew and especially didn't want to be linked to a gerontophobe who's bad at games like Brad

Doop

After reading Gita's article and listening to the podcast with her Dwarf Fortress seems interesting as fuck. At least the Legends aspect, sounds weird to actually play.

Dwarf fortress is fun as fuck. I would recommend adventure mode if you just want to dip your toes and try it out, actual fortress mode is very very hard. Once you learn the controls it's not too hard from a conceptual standpoint. The amount of options you have is truly incredible. You can literally ignore all combat in the game and just start a troupe of bards and perform for royalty. Or you can be a total warmongerer, taking villages and castles and declaring yourself the leader. Maybe you want to be somewhere in between, someone who just wants to roam the countryside hunting rabbits and taking quests to kill the rogue leopard terrorizing a village. You can even go to a necromancer tower, kill the necromancers, steal their book and learn the secrets of life and death to become a necromancer yourself. And I was only listing stuff you can do in Adventure mode!

Then, once you get bored of all this, Toady releases a new update that adds something insane (the most recent update added generated culture, poems, songs, books, etc), which inevitably drags you back in. And that's not to ignore the insane amount of mods, including total conversions that completely change the setting.

Gita's article is great, it illustrates a lot about why the game is so good. People don't just love the game because of the huge difficulty, they also love it because it can create stories. I can remember a lot of my adventure mode and fortress mode saves, maybe not the specifics, but I can see the shape of the fortress in my minds eye, or remember what goal I had in mind when I started them. Even some of my most quickly ended runs.

Sorry to just totally use your post to talk about why I love DF so much. I just want more people to experience this game, it's something special.

Brashnir

I think the problem on any DF clone is that they just don't go deep enough into all the systems. Hearing stories about DF I can see why that would be hard to do.

Yeah, understood. The superficial management sim aspect would seem to be the easiest part to re-create, and probably the part most people are more interested in anyway.

Dwarf fortress is fun as fuck. I would recommend adventure mode if you just want to dip your toes and try it out, actual fortress mode is very very hard. Once you learn the controls it's not too hard from a conceptual standpoint. The amount of options you have is truly incredible. You can literally ignore all combat in the game and just start a troupe of bards and perform for royalty. Or you can be a total warmongerer, taking villages and castles and declaring yourself the leader. Maybe you want to be somewhere in between, someone who just wants to roam the countryside hunting rabbits and taking quests to kill the rogue leopard terrorizing a village. You can even go to a necromancer tower, kill the necromancers, steal their book and learn the secrets of life and death to become a necromancer yourself. And I was only listing stuff you can do in Adventure mode!

Then, once you get bored of all this, Toady releases a new update that adds something insane (the most recent update added generated culture, poems, songs, books, etc), which inevitably drags you back in. And that's not to ignore the insane amount of mods, including total conversions that completely change the setting.

Gita's article is great, it illustrates a lot about why the game is so good. People don't just love the game because of the huge difficulty, they also love it because it can create stories. I can remember a lot of my adventure mode and fortress mode saves, maybe not the specifics, but I can see the shape of the fortress in my minds eye, or remember what goal I had in mind when I started them. Even some of my most quickly ended runs.

Sorry to just totally use your post to talk about why I love DF so much. I just want more people to experience this game, it's something special.

I'm definitely planning on giving it a try, just not sure if I have the time or the patience to really delve in and learn it.

I would be down for Austin trying to play some on a playdate or something though. I know they played it a while ago with Dave, but don't think the feature lasted long.

Doop

I'm definitely planning on giving it a try, just not sure if I have the time or the patience to really delve in and learn it.

I would be down for Austin trying to play some on a playdate or something though. I know they played it a while ago with Dave, but don't think the feature lasted long.

Oh yeah I totally understand. I got into Dwarf Fortress over a summer years ago. It took up so much of my time.

popo

Why is that German VO in the Castlevania game.
And.
Why doesn't Vinny recognize it? Didn't he start German with Rosetta Stone a few years ago?

I asked this and the answer is, apparently, that Japanese people think German is cool (and Dracula kinda comes from there - it is all Europe whatevers).

As to the second part. Vinny was learning Italian. I believe Drew was learning German.

Didnt Patrick get married and buy a house though? Wasn't that the reason he went back to Chicago?

He went back because he has family there and to one day buy a house. Turns out houses are expensive even in Chicago. He rented somewhere but I guess he wasn't saving enough.

Of course I have no idea how big his parents house is. I assume decent. Not like it will be Patrick, his wife, the dog and his mother all in a one bedroom apartment. That would be a good pitch for a sitcom though. This fall on CBS ...

Patryn

Anybody in here play the div yets? How's it treating yah?

I'll definitely be playing it when I get home tonight. Really looking forward to it.

But then again, I'm a person who is happy that I won't see that many other players, has little interest in the Dark Zone, and loved the shit out of playing Borderlands and Borderlands 2 solo, so my opinion is probably worth little.

oti

Banned
I asked this and the answer is, apparently, that Japanese people think German is cool (and Dracula kinda comes from there - it is all Europe whatevers).

As to the second part. Vinny was learning Italian. I believe Drew was learning German.

German does sound baller so the Japanese are right again.

I really believe he was trying to learn German at some point and they talked about it on the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom