• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

You really think calling devs 'lazy' is an acceptable complaint? I honestly thought we moved passed that bullshit.

I'm totally fine with calling them out on their failings, but you can do that without resorting to baseless personal insults.

Yeah, especially taking there not being PC ports for Demon's Souls and Bloodborne as a sign of them being "lazy" when that, as you said, more than likely is because of the publishing deal with Sony.

Also this whole thing is over the words by a costumer support person, which I would take with a huge grain of salt.

Edit: If it wasn't serious then just forget it :)

yami4ct

dude i wasn't being serious lol

The internet makes it hard sometimes. I just have a really bad reaction to that particular comment. It's a real pet peeve for me. Sorry for the quick reaction.

I'm as adverse to calling devs lazy as one could probably be but DS is pretty much a dictionary definition of lazy port

It's definitely a sub par port, and one that show's that From and Japanese developers in general really don't fully know how to use the PC well, but I still think lazy is a horrible adjective to describe what likely actually happened.

yami4ct

I understood 0% of what was happening

Given what story parts this game seems to be pulling from, that's not a shock. At some point, Naruto went from a not amazing, but unoffensive action show to a big huge pile of crap that is simultaneously completely incomprehensible and somehow slow as molasses.

The fight in storm 2 where you fight Pain in the destroyed hidden leaf village is still one of my favorite final boss fights of all time. I need to get around to playing Storm 3.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Given what story parts this game seems to be pulling from, that's not a shock. At some point, Naruto went from a not amazing, but unoffensive action show to a big huge pile of crap that is simultaneously completely incomprehensible and somehow slow as molasses.

That shonen power creep.

yami4ct

naruto is good

It's not the worst. It has some neat ideas and a neat world. It's a pretty fun action show up until the Hidan stuff in Part 2. After that it becomes pretty boring and then you get to the Ninja World War and it becomes an absolute walking monster of over complicated plot, bad pacing, and general blandness.

all i understood is that no one, from the characters to the beast crew, noticed that "obito" is basically just "tobi" in pig latin and thus the most obvious fuckin' disguise name ever

that would require knowing who either of those people are

but yeah, reversing the kana in a name is used kind of hilariously frequently in bad japanese fiction (as is someone just using alternate pronunciations of the kanji in their names)

When the anime/manga cockblocked us from finally having Naruto vs Sasuke during tbe 5 kage summit arc is when i finally checked out. Then i saw part of the fight that Storm 3 actually did for that moment and i was pretty back in.

Wunder

When the anime/manga cockblocked us from finally having Naruto vs Sasuke during tbe 5 kage summit arc is when i finally checked out. Then i saw part of the fight that Storm 3 actually did for that moment and i was pretty back in.

gotta save naruto vs sasuke for the end man, you know that

yami4ct

I dropped it part way through the World War and picked it up for the last fight. That last Naruto/Sasuke fight was actually pretty cool and a decent way to end it off. The epilogue was dumb fan service, but it was OK.

all i understood is that no one, from the characters to the beast crew, noticed that "obito" is basically just "tobi" in pig latin and thus the most obvious fuckin' disguise name ever

The series dragged it out so long that it made you think 'it's so dumb and obvious, no way it's actually true.' It's so obvious that the idea it was a red herring seemed like the more likely outcome, so the reveal was kind of surprising still.

It was a dumb thing overall.

The day someone walked up to me wearing a naruto headband and labelled themselves a "narutard" was the day I started pretending I don't know anything about anime.

People that are so into a piece of media that it becomes a huge part of their personal existence they project to the outside world are weird. I don't get it. I mean, I have a huge collection of Transformers for instance and I wouldn't feel that painted such a complete picture of me that I'd start going around dressed as Optimus Prime.

The day someone walked up to me wearing a naruto headband and labelled themselves a "narutard" was the day I started pretending I don't know anything about anime.

I hate when show plots, anime or otherwise (like Supernatural), keep escalating until it focuses on a big war between ninjas and ninjas or angels and demons and it gets really fucking boring. It always feels like the show needs to go bigger in scope until it is missing what made it attractive in the first place.

yami4ct

oh man, it was definitely the beginning of the end! Just took a few years.

Bleach has been in its 'Final Arc' for 3 years now and shows no sign of slowing. Japanese shonen series are very bad at ending themselves.

If someone thinks Naruto is bad, Bleach is...oh boy. I only read it because the chapters are short and I might as well read through all the Weekly Shonen Jump stuff if I'm going to pay for a subscription. The last arc at least has been alright compared to what proceeded it.

yami4ct

Is Bleach worse than Naruto? I always thought people placed it on a higher level.

And how's Fairy Tail?

Bleach started off fairly strong, but became an absolute shit show and it was clear Kubo had no idea what the hell what he was doing. Naruto remained the same 'alright' all the way through with a drop pretty near the end.

Fairy Tail is the worst of the worst. Just generic awful bullshit.

I hate when show plots, anime or otherwise (like Supernatural), keep escalating until it focuses on a big war between ninjas and ninjas or angels and demons and it gets really fucking boring. It always feels like the show needs to go bigger in scope until it is missing what made it attractive in the first place.

every single time Supernatural has started to get shitty is a direct result of them raising the stakes too much. any time they kill Sam and/or Dean off. any time one or both of them are responsible for saving the world. any time one turns evil.

nobody actually cares about that shit! we all just want them to drive around the country and fight monsters! that's what works and that's what we want!

LiK

As someone who watched neither regularly I used to get Bleach and Naruto confused so I assume both are terrible.

Bleach was garbage. I think I watched two seasons before I bailed. Naruto is good if you stick with the eps based from the manga but they use flashbacks way too much cuz they were behind in production but it's way better than Bleach. I haven't watched Shippudden.

jaina

So, on a slightly off-topic note: I had some time today and started working on a user script to categorize GAF posts into anime, wrestling or max payne 3.

So, on a slightly off-topic note: I had some time today and started working on a user script to categorize GAF posts into anime, wrestling or max payne 3.

as much as I'd like to hope that I'd be mostly MP3, I'm almost certainly mostly anime :\

I have never watched any of the big shonen anime apart from some DBZ as a kid.

I watched what probably amounts to "too much" DBZ and it pretty much single-handedly turned me off of shounen forever

BearPawB

Banned
I have never watched any of the big shonen anime apart from some DBZ as a kid.

Action is cool and all, but some of my favorite anime have almost no action (Steins Gate/Erased)

we should start talking about Max Payne 2 more

now that's a game

Roman Reigns is gonna shave his head and go through a pain killer induced hallucination where he meets Naruto and has to defeat the evil Bray Wyatt.

roman reigns is the max payne 3 of wrestlers

(storytelling that doesn't work but the people responsible don't care because it's the story they want to tell)

JamboGT

Is there a 3DS Harvest Moon? That maybe though I haven't played one for years!

In other news I am back working in the games industry as of today!

TraBuch

Banned
Seriously though, I really dug Outlaw Star, FLCL, Big O, Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho when I was a kid. I wonder how those shows hold up.

yami4ct

Is there a 3DS Harvest Moon? That maybe though I haven't played one for years!

In other news I am back working in the games industry as of today!

If I want to play something like Stardew Valley but can't play Stardew Valley what is the best game like it on the 3ds?

The Story of Seasons games are the modern Harvest Moon games (Name had to change when XSEED stared publishing them over here). Those might be the closest to what you're looking for.

Seriously though, I really dug Outlaw Star, FLCL, Big O, Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho when I was a kid. I wonder how those shows hold up.

YuYu does. Togashi is a king and that series and Hunter x Hunter are an amazing set of works to have under your belt. Kenshin is good until the anime splits from the Manga. Haven't watched Big O and Outlaw in forever and I never dug FLCL.

If I want to play something like Stardew Valley but can't play Stardew Valley what is the best game like it on the 3ds?

Rune Factory 4

Story of Seasons was pretty decent if you want a more vanilla HM game

but Rune Factory 4 is fantastic

e: Story of Seasons is actually probably the best mainline HM game in like 6+ years

JamboGT

The Story of Seasons games are the modern Harvest Moon games (Name had to change when XSEED stared publishing them over here). Those might be the closest to what you're looking for.

Ah didn't realise that, thanks for the info. I haven't played one since the PS2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom