• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
This is my dilemma right now with Dwarf Fortress. I've oddly been obsessed with the idea of playing it since Gita's article and I want to play something like it so bad, but I feel like my head can just not wrap around the UI and controls and just the overall deepness of it.

Real talk to everyone afraid of Dwarf Fortress (which I totally understand): Get your feet wet by playing Adventure Mode. That RPS piece is what FINALLY got me to take a leap in. It's easy enough and it gives you at least a taste of how complex and fun that game's world and world-building can be. Once you're comfortable staring at a tileset, the Fortress mode becomes a lot easier to deal with.

This is my dilemma right now with Dwarf Fortress. I've oddly been obsessed with the idea of playing it since Gita's article and I want to play something like it so bad, but I feel like my head can just not wrap around the UI and controls and just the overall deepness of it.

Yep, thanks to that article (and also the Stardew Valley and Factorio talk) I'm totally going to get back into it when spring break hits next weekend.

Factorio seems nice in that you can pretty much turn off enemy hostility if you want and just take your time building stuff.

Real talk to everyone afraid of Dwarf Fortress (which I totally understand): Get your feet wet by playing Adventure Mode. That RPS piece is what FINALLY got me to take a leap in. It's easy enough and it gives you at least a taste of how complex and fun that game's world and world-building can be. Once you're comfortable staring at a tileset, the Fortress mode becomes a lot easier to deal with.

I downloaded it and started to play the Adventure mode and then I saw the list of all the different beings or animals I could be and I just switched to Stardew Valley. Haha

I will get into it and give it a proper go, I just have to work up to it. Currently watching Dave Fortress to do just that. Then I'll probably find some Youtube video's over the weekend.

Daheza

The timing on the upcoming features seems off.

UPF usually starts at 3pm right? It's listed as 6pm on site.
Also is rondo really at 2pm pacific?

Appreciate that the Coleco Chameleon is the modern day Gizmondo.

Where is Dietrich?

Wikipedia says in October 2014, he was facing further charges of possession of cocaine and other drugs, and driving under the influence of drugs.

And in 2015 someone did a stage play called "Uppsala Mafia" that was about the Gizmondo / car crash and other illegal activities.

daydream

Banned
vinny really doesn't want me to see the factorio unfinished. pulled it twice from under my proverbial feet, first on yt, now on the site. what a meanie

jaina

yeah I just noticed the Factorio youtube pull. Lost my progress.. But now started watching in video buddy, which seems to have the video URL still cached.
Did anyone notice an issue with the video?

Watching Dave Fortress and remembering Breaking Brad of old I realize we really need a series from the East where Alex or Austin play something while Vinny asks questions and antagonizes them the entire time.

Gurrry

Ive never understood why people need a reason as to why they are killing enemies in video games. Does anyone actually care about this?

Its just a video game, its not like I need a reason behind why im killing goombas in mario. You just do it because thats the game. Same with the division.

Gurrry

Surely you can see the difference between a Goomba and a human in a Tom Clancy branded game.

Why though? That goomba was innocent too. I came into his world and stomped his head.

Its not like the game told me the goomba is an evil monster that is out to get the human race that we must destroy in order to save man kind. I just jumped on his head and murdered him.

I guess I understand feeling weird about killing innocent people in realistic looking games, but I guess I can just separate real life morality vs video game morality easier than others? I dont know. I just dont need a reason to do things in a video game to feel like Im not being an asshole.

But then again, maybe I am being an asshole.

Why though? That goomba was innocent too. I came into his world and stomped his head.

Its not like the game told me the goomba is an evil monster that is out to get the human race that we must destroy in order to save man kind. I just jumped on his head and murdered him.

I guess I understand feeling weird about killing innocent people in realistic looking games, but I guess I can just separate real life morality vs video game morality easier than others? I dont know. I just dont need a reason to do things in a video game to feel like Im not being an asshole.

But then again, maybe I am being an asshole.

Just different levels of suspension of disbelief. In a game like Tom Clancy you expect something like that to be handled in a story capacity for some reason. In Mario it's just a cruel kill or be killed world.

kvk1

Oh, this wasn't my argument. I must have misunderstood the original post.

Yeah, I don't care about mowing them down. I thought we were complaining more about the lack of a "background" to the random encounter NPCs.

I wish there was a little more variance and technical nitty-gritty to them, like one would expect from the Tom Clancy brand.

It's kind of lame hearing "THEY GOT ALEX" over and over again after sniping the same dude in the same jeans and same red hoodie.

Yeah for me it's not about feeling bad it's about feeling bored. Like any narrative thrust to wipe out random dudes while I'm running around would help. "They're Looters I guess" is pretty limited motivation.

I think boxed amiibos will probably be worth a lot. Have you seen what a copy of melee goes for these days? There are so many copies of that game out there and it's still treated like gold. Never underestimate Nintendo nostalgia.

Gurrry

Oh, this wasn't my argument. I must have misunderstood the original post.

Yeah, I don't care about mowing them down. I thought we were complaining more about the lack of a "background" to the random encounter NPCs.

I wish there was a little more variance and technical nitty-gritty to them, like one would expect from the Tom Clancy brand.

It's kind of lame hearing "THEY GOT ALEX" over and over again after sniping the same dude in the same jeans and same red hoodie.

Oh yeah I totallllllllly agree with you. The narrative is basically non-existent when it comes to the NPC encounters in the Division. In that regard, I totally see where Austin is coming from. A reason would be nice, but I understand its a video game and my job is to shoot alot of things.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I imagine boxed amiibos are worth nothing if you can use them without opening them. You could never tell if it was legit or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom