• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

Hey guys.... A bit of an OT question but I asked in the Tech Support thread and didn't get an answer.

Which brand of HDD are good nowadays? I remember hearing bad things about one of them recently but I can't remember which one.

I woke up this morning with the idea of formating and swapping my HDD in my PC so I want to buy a new drive locally (no time to order online)...

I'm seeing Seagate Barracudas for examply which is an ok price

I already have 2 SSDS for Windows and my games so this is mostly for storage... Don't need anything crazy fancy or high performance. My current HDD is starting to get slow and make weird noises so it's making me nervous.

Some seagate harddrives had crazy failure rate, but it doesn't seem to be the model you're looking at.

strafer

The weirdest part is that he looked like this in Tomb Raider:

lara-and-jonah.jpg

When I started Rise immediately after finishing TR, it took me a while to realize that it's the same character. I thought he was Polynesian and not black.

in that game he looked like a fat Vaas from Far Cry 3 :D

Renpatsu

The weirdest part is that he looked like this in Tomb Raider:

When I started Rise immediately after finishing TR, it took me a while to realize that it's the same character. I thought he was Polynesian and not black.
That is an intense makeover. Did they change the actor too or just the character model?
Edit: Guess it's the same guy.

the only problem with playing the division with people is that it then becomes impossible to play the division solo because you don't want to get ahead of your friends.

TraBuch

Banned
I know comparing every game to Dark Souls is the lazy thing to do now, but holy crap Salt & Sanctuary is literally a 2D Dark Souls. It's fucking bonkers how much is lifted from DS.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Division seems to be doing well on the critics side of thing but it's always interesting to see the score difference between users and critics. On steam it's weird to see things ranked as "mixed" already.

Also I guess I should have figured this, but I didn't realize that most of the game was online only. Shame, I can see myself getting this game way down the line on a sale.

MMOs and MMOesque games proved that their initial critical reception is almost always going to be a positive and the core playerbase will later discover the lack of content long after game reviewers that need a review up in their site 'within a week' or whatever will have moved on from the game entirely until the next expansion.

It happened with Diablo 3, it happened with Warlords of Draenor. I haven't played enough of The Division to say one way or another, but it will probably happen there too. Desitny was the only one so lacking in content in even the leveling content that it didn't work for them. But it worked for Taken King.

I know comparing every game to Dark Souls is the lazy thing to do now, but holy crap Salt & Sanctuary is literally a 2D Dark Souls. It's fucking bonkers how much is lifted from DS.

apparently there isn't an embargo on the game because some reviewer is just posting stuff freely

good thing the game is coming out next week i remember when jason played it for extra life in 2014

Bacon

Yeah I always felt that it was a little crazy. I don't know how much they've changed since Jason played it a while back but back then it seemed like it lifted fonts and sound effects wholesale right out of dark souls

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The worst part about these controller focused 'MMO-esque and Diablo-esque' shooters is how they don't do shit for abilities and make everything passive despite Diablo 3 making them work on a controller. Borderlands and Destiny with their 1 abilitiy, Division with their 2. And none of them are very exciting and work more as a cooldown rather than an active part of your playstyle. It's fucking boring. It's the definition of what Jeff is talking about when he says 'everything gets stronger but you still fight the same because you got stronger'(which is weird that he brought up Borderlands as the best loot shooter when it has the exact same issues. The only variety it did was elemental effects which at later levels became more of a chore than expanding exciting fights. And it became 'well I've got this fire gun but he has shields but once i get through the shields this fire will burn him quicker so i'll just keep the fire gun')

14.5 hours into The Division and after about the 40th time of 'activating the thing and defending the thing,' I think I'm done with the game. I'd rather loot 10 rat pelts.

Wunder

The worst part about these controller focused 'MMO-esque and Diablo-esque' shooters is how they don't do shit for abilities and make everything passive despite Diablo 3 making them work on a controller. Borderlands and Destiny with their 1 abilitiy, Division with their 2. And none of them are very exciting and work more as a cooldown rather than an active part of your playstyle. It's fucking boring. It's the definition of what Jeff is talking about when he says 'everything gets stronger but you still fight the same because you got stronger'(which is weird that he brought up Borderlands as the best loot shooter when it has the exact same issues. The only variety it did was elemental effects which at later levels became more of a chore than expanding exciting fights. And it became 'well I've got this fire gun but he has shields but once i get through the shields this fire will burn him quicker so i'll just keep the fire gun')

14.5 hours into The Division and after about the 40th time of 'activating the thing and defending the thing,' I think I'm done with the game. I'd rather loot 10 rat pelts.

Passives can work if they are activated buffs or tweak an active skill. Borderlands had a decent idea with passives that activated off kills or reloads, but 1 active skill is simply too little. You need at least 4-6 I think, that's a nice variety of things to juggle around.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The way abilities developed since the start of the last generation is kind of depressing. We started off ok in Mass Effect and Borderlands but it went nowhere, even backwards.

Some depressing focus-testing must've happened along the way.

A good point. It's weird that a game like Mass Effect has more interesting active abilities than any loot shooter I can think of.

Myggen

hey did a quick skim of thread and you said before probably no post gdc stuff is this based on anything specific?

could really handle some drunk indie devs in my life right now

Based on what they said at the end of UPF. They said that they would have a good number of devs drop by to show their games etc., but it didn't sound like they were planning to do a night show. At least it didn't to me.

I might've read too much into it, but I imagine they would've said something if they were planning a show like that.

Warframe works on a controller and every suit has four active abilities. I'm just getting into it but I think that's what you're getting at.

Warframe works on a controller and every suit has four active abilities. I'm just getting into it but I think that's what you're getting at.

Saryn would be about what he's talking about. Three of her abilities can be running at the same time and work strongly in tandem, making you manage them carefully.

Frith

Based on what they said at the end of UPF. They said that they would have a good number of devs drop by to show their games etc., but it didn't sound like they were planning to do a night show. At least it didn't to me.

I might've read too much into it, but I imagine they would've said something if they were planning a show like that.

ah right haven't got to end of upf yet working the weekend like a real cool normal guy :/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When I unlocked the K9 part of the base of operations, I figured, 'oh cool maybe an ability where a dog comes out and kills someone dead to rights style' or 'maybe a trade-off where you get a pet dog that takes up an ability slot but adds extra dps whenever enemies are in melee range'

nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom