• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sounds like he's working on an update now to address the wedding and relationship stuff. It was definitely anticlimactic. I was bummed they go back to basic interaction dialogue after you get in a relationship(at least until marriage).

Who says I'm talking about stardew?

Ah shit my dumb joke is TOTP.

should I get Trails of Cold Steel for PS3 or Vita? even though I know what the answer is going to be?

Just saw this post as im catching up on the thread.

The Vita version is the obvious choice, being able to suspend/resume long ass rpgs is a hell of a feature. It's the thing that made playing the FFX HD games tolerable.

Xater

Same, I enjoyed my time with it for what it was but I have no real urge to jump back into it.

The Incursion might end up being cool, but maybe have at least one of those in at launch next time? Having to potentially wait more than a month for that is kinda dumb.

Zaph

There's another Star Citizen thread up which always manages to fill the gap until a good juicy review thread.

You know, I think all the criticisms people have brought up against it are pretty accurate, I just love the game anyway. It's the right game at the right time for me.

Yeah, I love loot shooters/dungeon crawlers in general, but there's really no defending the issues with formula and gameplay (or lack thereof) that should have evolved by now, but haven't, and nobody's obliged to look past that because of those numbers. That go higher. And higher.

Has anyone here tried The Culling? I've been wanting to get into something multiplayer that's pretty simple and fun and kind of dumb and it looks like this does all of that.

The Incursion might end up being cool, but maybe have at least one of those in at launch next time? Having to potentially wait more than a month for that is kinda dumb.

Totally, especially when a month wait potentially means that it will run into the issue of people being over geared for it because they've been grinding gear for so long or you have a bunch of people who are under geared because they quickly dropped off due to a lack of endgame content.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
so digimon cyber sleuth

i just watched tri and i'm on a digimon kick even though the movie was kinda ehhhhhhhhh.

what do

Play it if you like raising DIGItal MONsters.

It's also a pretty alright JRPG. Battle system seems like it's more geared towards you leveling mons.

Character and story is hot garbage but you probably knew that already.

Finally watched the Hitman QL and the game looks really good, but I think I'd have to turn off a lot of the helpful stuff. That seems too hand-holdish to me for a game like that. I will probably wait for the full game though, hoping a lot of the update stuff they're talking about like timed hits and stuff make it to the full game later on.

I bought Stardew Valley yesterday and excited to try it out today. Really enjoyed Harvest Moon back in the day, it was the perfect game to relax to after a long day.

daydream

Banned
so digimon cyber sleuth

i just watched tri and i'm on a digimon kick even though the movie was kinda ehhhhhhhhh.

what do

what whippy said + game is super repetitive

so yeah, if you really like the mons, give it a shot. otherwise, just listen to takada's soundtrack on yt

btw this game is another case of people in the ot being completely insane. like, it doesn't even occur to some people that the game may be flawed, let alone heavily so. like i've said in the past - starvation-induced hallucinations
both for ps4 and vita users

Jintor

Finally watched the Hitman QL and the game looks really good, but I think I'd have to turn off a lot of the helpful stuff. That seems too hand-holdish to me for a game like that. I will probably wait for the full game though, hoping a lot of the update stuff they're talking about like timed hits and stuff make it to the full game later on.

it's really good with all that shit off. There's still enough indicators around that you can basically figure out what to do, and if you're really lost, the intel screen makes it more explicit without necessarily dumping a bunch of icons around your UI.

That said you need to at least leave the 'suspicion indicators' on because otherwise you won't be able to tell who is gonna get pissed at you if you go near them even in disguise since there's no art direction idea behind that, unfortunately.

Yeah, I love loot shooters/dungeon crawlers in general, but there's really no defending the issues with formula and gameplay (or lack thereof) that should have evolved by now, but haven't, and nobody's obliged to look past that because of those numbers. That go higher. And higher.
Yep! I don't have a ton of time to play games these days, so my relatively slow pace through the content is probably part of why I'm enjoying it so much. It still feels fresh to me, and I'm still seeing new weapons and talents and such.
Just a little tweak at all the people in this thread rooting for the 2/5.
I simply don't have the time nor inclination to care about review scores or those that do.

im always up for a review that antagonizes a fanbase not because the review sets out to do so but because the fanbase cannot handle any slights against their game.

I don't care for reviews as a means to make a purchasing decision. havent in years. I get a lot more out of podcasts and quick looks than i can pull from reading a typical review.

it's really good with all that shit off. There's still enough indicators around that you can basically figure out what to do, and if you're really lost, the intel screen makes it more explicit without necessarily dumping a bunch of icons around your UI.

That said you need to at least leave the 'suspicion indicators' on because otherwise you won't be able to tell who is gonna get pissed at you if you go near them even in disguise since there's no art direction idea behind that, unfortunately.

The opportunities and hitman vision were my main complaints. It seems counterproductive to point out when the opportunities come about in conversation and then making a lot of the conversations worth while listening to. You would hope hearing a conversation would key you into some being worth while and some just being fun bits of story. Pointing out the worth while ones from the pointless ones just seems to say "Ignore these other ones.".

I don't care for reviews as a means to make a purchasing decision. havent in years. I get a lot more out of podcasts and quick looks than i can pull from reading a typical review.

That's where I'm at as well. Putting scores on games seems like such a 2005 thing to me, and is never valuable in determining if I want to play a game.

Myggen

That's where I'm at as well. Putting scores on games seems like such a 2005 thing to me, and is never valuable in determining if I want to play a game.

I think people are moving more and more in that direction, but seeing that (some) companies still seem to care a lot about review scores I'm guessing that at least Metacritic still matters to some degree. At least publishers who give out bonuses based on the Metacritic average seem to think so.

I don't really care about game reviews, but that's mainly because I follow the medium so closesly that I don't need reviews. I get my impression from quick looks, podcasts, forums etc. etc. But I use Metacritic from time to time to check out new music: If an album that wasn't on my radar has reviewed well I'm likely to check it out. Same with indie movies.

I think people are moving more and more in that direction, but seeing that (some) companies still seem to care a lot about review scores I'm guessing that at least Metacritic still matters to some degree. At least publishers who give out bonuses based on the Metacritic average seem to think so.

Not just companies, but users too. A lot of people still put weight into where a game's score ends up. Got me to buy the Witcher 3, after all the glowing reviews, which was a mistake for me.

I think people are moving more and more in that direction, but seeing that companies still seem to care a lot about review scores I'm guessing that at least Metacritic still matters to some degree. At least publishers who give out bonuses based on the Metacritic average seem to think so.

Yeah, Metacritic is the biggest thing keeping score-based criticism relevant. I sometimes wonder where we'd be re: review scores and their importance if that site hadn't become big enough to start dictating payment bonuses.

Oh certainly. Review scores still "matter" on a macro level, although less than they used to. I'm glad I broke myself of those bonds, however.

daydream

Banned
anyone who was intrigued by the stinger at the end of the last beast episode - if you just want the action, you can just skip to
the last fifteen minutes

hamchan

At this point I just buy whatever seems interesting to me regardless of how it reviewed and then use reviews to point out any possible hidden gems I've missed.

Myggen

At this point I just buy whatever seems interesting to me regardless of how it reviewed and then use reviews to point out any possible hidden gems I've missed.

Exactly, that's how I use reviews too. Which is why I don't really need game reviews, because I know about most games coming out (except for Steam garbage, but those won't get any reviews). But for music, movies etc., reviews still have value for me. Especially music.

never underestimate the size of the population of people who just want to be told what to think about something with as little extraneous information as possible

derFeef

I get more from QL's than I do reviews. I was sold this week on Hitman and Factorio and I will never even see a review of either.

There are exceptions from now and then though. I really am enjoying Division, but the QL which I watched before I bought it, did nothing for me.

8-4 is gonna be on bombcast

So what do we think? 5 man? 6 man? Or the worst possibility leave out Drew and Jason and just have 4 man?

There are exceptions from now and then though. I really am enjoying Division, but the QL which I watched before I bought it, did nothing for me.

Yeah, it can definitely happen both ways. I've bought many games where I thought would be right up my alley and then get completely bored with and never get past 2 hours with. That's also something I just don't think a review would change just because sometimes games just click or don't and that will always be dependent on the person.

The Division probably sold 1m+ units before the first reviews even hit.

to be fair to the game and its buyers, it had a couple of betas so that people could make a somewhat sensible decision as to whether they would like the game or not before it launched.

For me, the more troubling sales figures were the ones for Far Cry Primal, which was the best selling retail game in NA last month and it got just slightly better than middling reviews.

Drew should absolutely be in on 8-4 Bombcast because he's probably the only one that listens to the 8-4 podcast.

Brad needs to be on it just so they can have a 10 hour long destiny lovefest

The opportunities and hitman vision were my main complaints. It seems counterproductive to point out when the opportunities come about in conversation and then making a lot of the conversations worth while listening to. You would hope hearing a conversation would key you into some being worth while and some just being fun bits of story. Pointing out the worth while ones from the pointless ones just seems to say "Ignore these other ones.".

I turned off Hitman vision from the get-go and haven't felt like I've missed it. My chief complaint is I think they maybe offer too much information with the Challenges. Kind of takes away from some of the sense of discovery when they kind of straight up tell you how to complete it. But I'm enjoying it, and I'll probably bite on some of the later missions, I think I only bought in on the initial level.

Megasoum

Banned
Welp... Better late than never... I finally signed up for Spotify.

I had been using Google Music for a while but got tired of the download feature never working on the mobile app.

Anyway, playing around the Spotify desktop app. HOW THE FUCK can the biggest music streaming service in 2016 still doesn't have a Mini Player feature built in its app? FFS Napster 15 years ago had it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom