• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do Fallout 4 and Xcom 2 run like shit on a high-end PC? people are awful at optimizing their games. you can talk about this gen's consoles being underpowered and you might be right, but it barely matters when stuff like this keeps happening.

Like I understand that, and I know that's the proper answer. But it's still flabbergasting to me that you can end up with a game that's poorly optimized on standardized hardware. Especially one that doesn't look terribly taxing for any particular reason.

Like I understand that, and I know that's the proper answer. But it's still flabbergasting to me that you can end up with a game that's poorly optimized on standardized hardware. Especially one that doesn't look terribly taxing for any particular reason.

they're saying it's a Unity issue. so I'm sure that means it will never be fixed.

if I didn't have a PC I'd be so mad at every game I'm excited for

I'm more than happy to give anyone else a chance. I'm mostly here to make sure this never happens again.

best OP imo

skynidas

Banned
B5rDxC3.png

I still need to beat mission 31. I keep getting to the very end and then dying because I end up next to a wall, try to run to the side, and can't do it in time before I get destroyed. I'm tempted to watch the video, but I don't want to see anything I haven't played yet, so if they manage to beat it, I don't want to be spoiled.

This recent tweet from Austin...
can you take pictures in Firewatch and have them printed and sent to you!? Truely, what is Firewatch? That's so damn cool.

I do wish Dan would have explained about making custom equipment. It's a total game changer and something that I think Drew would have been really into.

He could've customized his riot smg to have a bigger silencer which would've made it slightly more useful than it really is.

repeater

So guys, I have never played any XCOM game, but I have the previous game sitting in my Steam account and all the XCOM2 hype has gotten me to think it is now time to play it (especially since 2K clearly have no intention of ever releasing the Vita port they're apparently sitting on). "Enemy Within" is on sale on Steam right now and I've got credit sitting in my Steam wallet: is Enemy Within the best way of playing the previous XCOM, or is there some point to playing the vanilla game unexpanded?

So guys, I have never played any XCOM game, but I have the previous game sitting in my Steam account and all the XCOM2 hype has gotten me to think it is now time to play it (especially since 2K clearly have no intention of ever releasing the Vita port they're apparently sitting on). "Enemy Within" is on sale on Steam right now and I've got credit sitting in my Steam wallet: is Enemy Within the best way of playing the previous XCOM, or is there some point to playing the vanilla game unexpanded?

Enemy Within might be a bit tough if you never played EU before since it adds more mechanics and stuff on top of the original game. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has only played through the game via EW though. I personally felt like i was spinning enough plates already without the extra stuff thrown in from EW

Wunder

EW from the get go may be overwhelming for a completely new player. It builds on the base game in a big way and introduces concepts that may be hard to adjust to initially. So if you're the kind of player that hates losing/doing badly then I'd probably recommend going vanilla for now. But if you like experimentation and are fine with restarting once or twice after figuring out what the game wants you to do, then EW is the more complete experience.

FYI, for anyone who liked it/wanted to try it: Need For Speed: Most Wanted (the Criterion Games version) is currently free as part of Origin's On The House feature.

Fuck vanilla, play Enemy Within. Since you've never played XCOM before, I'd pick the easiest difficulty to settle into things.

EW absolutely makes the game better but for your first time I would lean towards going towards vanilla to get a feel for the mechanics and such. Playing through Enemy Within after having a basis of XCOM knowledge made it significantly more enjoyable.

shwimpy

You don't have a play a single "replay" mission in MGSV after Chapter 1. I critical pathed it so that I skipped all of those. You do have to a couple side ops to trigger some of the last missions though. It would be extremely disappointing if they just youtubed the rest.

ArjanN

Although most of this MGSV playthrough is pretty bad and should finally put the argument to rest that you can't play a game wrong, watching Dan's reactions as he's setting up Drew for the reveal this was only chapter 1 was hilarious.

repeater

Thanks for your advice, guys. I watched Jeff Green stream the original UFO: Enemy Unknown yesterday, so I think I've got enough pro strats under my belt to tackle Enemy Within head on.

I'm actually kind of excited that firewatch is short-ish. I feel like my attention span for games has been shit lately so being able to play through something short and sweet will be nice.

that's why I've been holding off on xcom. I KNOW I don't have the attention span for it.

I'm actually kind of excited that firewatch is short-ish. I feel like my attention span for games has been shit lately so being able to play through something short and sweet will be nice.

that's why I've been holding off on xcom. I KNOW I don't have the attention span for it.

Yep, me too. Let's break down the last few games I've played:

1. Metal Gear Solid V [Haven't finished]
2. Witcher 3 [Haven't finished]
3. The Witness [Haven't finished]
4. Her Story [Finished]

StoveOven

Banned

I'm also completely okay with it being 5 hours. I think this weekend I might sit down in the morning and just play it straight through. Seems like a good game for that

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think I have short attention span too, but to me it doesn't mean that I can't play long games anymore, it's just that I need some snappy moment to moment gameplay.

Which is why I've dropped TitS: SC for now. I like it, but the pace of those games are so plodding.

4. Her Story [Finished]

Yeah. I finished MGSV but I forced my way through the last third of the game and ended up resenting it for that reason. So I stopped playing the witness around 14
hours in because I didn't want that to happen again. Witcher 3 I finished and loved but I still have to play the DLC, which I've been enjoying it, but I can't be bothered to start it up for some reason.

I'm also completely okay with it being 5 hours. I think this weekend I might sit down in the morning and just play it straight through. Seems like a good game for that

yup. pretty snowy week coming up so it seems like a great game to get cozy and just play.

I just yearn for the days where I was doing stuff like sitting there playing trough bioshock infinite til five AM the night I bought it.

jaina

something quick'n'dirty like Uncharted 2 was nice to have last week. whipped it out within a few days.
I mostly don't mind trying a <20 hour game but I'm carefully budgeting my 50+ hour titles.

as someone who has finished +80 games per year the last two years (i only started tracking these things in 2014), I find that i need to rotate between both genres and game length.

So if i finished something like Xenoblade, i would try to play the oddworld remake next. I'm currently playing Enemy Within after having wrapped up Braid in about 5 hours.

Variety is the spice of life

Patryn

4. Her Story [Finished]

This made me think back to the last four games I've played, and I've finished two of them and only quit on one.

Maybe my backlog will finally shrink!

BearPawB

Banned
I beat XCom 2 already, and will keep playing it.
I saw the initial ending of the witness. Have more to do, and might.
Beat Rise of the Tomb Raider PC

As a guy who is bad at finishing games, I am doing prettyyyy good in 2016.

as someone who has finished +80 games per year the last two years (i only started tracking these things in 2014), I find that i need to rotate between both genres and game length.

So if i finished something like Xenoblade, i would try to play the oddworld remake next. I'm currently playing Enemy Within after having wrapped up Braid in about 5 hours.

Variety is the spice of life

I don't even know if I've played 80 games in the last 5 years

I think I have short attention span too, but to me it doesn't mean that I can't play long games anymore, it's just that I need some snappy moment to moment gameplay.

Which is why I've dropped TitS: SC for now. I like it, but the pace of those games are so plodding.

I cannot parse what you've abbreviated here at all.

Last 5 games I've played took me about 60-110 hours to finish each dating back to MGSV in September.

Well, 7 if you wanna also count the amount of time I must've put into SF4 and the SFV beta in the past few months.

I cannot parse what you've abbreviated here at all.

Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter.

Bacon

Being heavily addicted to a moba (and probably mmos as well but I've never played one) makes it really hard to finish single player games and it bothers me sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom