• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Oh no I love that part too, just the campaign you know.

I'd be happy with a B2/W2 quality of game at this point. Even if you keep the core 8 Badges storyline, taking some chances on the side and offering a deep and meaningful end game is huge. I hope the long development time on the Z game(s) means we're getting something a little more ambitious than the core X/Y (though I imagine the lack of content on those was partly due to the sheer amount of work GF had to do to make Pokemon 3D).

Drew finding out he has a Zoo still gets to me. The way his eyes light up, that sincere surprise on his face like he wants to find out more about his Zoo. That's in the top 10 Scanlon moments for me.

yami4ct

All of these reentry questions could've been answered had they worked their way up to a mun landing in the way you're sort of supposed to. I'm at the 1:30 mark and this method is going to take forever and opens themselves up for horrifying complications.

ArjanN

So, you're a Solid Snake guy and not a Big Boss guy. I think Drew is also the former, as he keeps calling Big Boss Solid Snake.

I think it's more that he just has trouble keeping straight which is which.

The MGS2 playthrough is the best because, MGS1 got philosophical, so Drew kinda expects it to be like that again. But by the end of MGS2 it's so off the rails batshit insane, and Drew is reacting at it and it's hilarious and perfect.

Yeah, MGS2 works well for a playthrough like this, because there's lots of silly cutscene stuff to play off of. Also, Drew sort of brute-force stumbles through these games, which matters less in MGS2 than 3 and 5.

All of these reentry questions could've been answered had they worked their way up to a mun landing in the way you're sort of supposed to. I'm at the 1:30 mark and this method is going to take forever and opens themselves up for horrifying complications.

It would be fine if Kerbal was a game based on finding creative solutions to problems. But it's not. There's kind of just...a right way to do things. Granted, there are many, MANY ways to be creative, but those are things you do once you actually understand the right way to do things. Like, Scott Manley can get to the moon and back using ONLY solid fuel boosters. But he can do that because he's incredibly knowledgeable about the game's mechanics.

dang, xcom crashed so hard it took my entire computer out with it. fix your shit, firaxis.

meanwhile, I just watched Vinny nearly fall into a crevice and that's perfect

repeater

OK, so I've got to rescue this guy in a pretty highly fortified camp.

It won't be easy, but I've prepped properly so it should be doable with a bit of stealth and a bit of finesse. But I need you on standby, Quiet -- if things go south, I want you to cover me.

... Quiet?

lXRuTOR.jpg

GavinGT

Banned

Yeah, you'd think they would have attempted an earth re-entry from orbit by now. But they weren't really thinking about practicing it because their primary concern was fuel.

Kathian

Banned
I'm in the same boat. I've always been a multiplayer focused guy, so I would always just go back to Halo, CoD, or League when I got bored. and now I'm just playing league whenever I'm bored at all instead of trying to play a single player game.

I think they'll do a YouTube watch and then play the final (maybe not as it is just another redo)

The latest Project Beast was pretty great. Was hoping they switch games, but I can't complain much if the quality & enthusiasm remains consistent.

So I guess Gametrailers is done.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181564

Is that dumb thing between GB and GT fans still going on? If so, don't go over there and be shitty.

Apparently it was sudden. Like literally they found out the entire staff was being let go mere hours ago. I have to assume that Defy Media is probably in trouble and with the fiscal year ending next month, needed to make some tough decisions. I think guys like Kyle Bosman will quickly find work (maybe start their own site). The others who can't, I think deserve to be hired by other sites. Brandon Jones (the voice of their reviews) should easily find work at an IGN or GameSpot type site.

repeater

So I guess Gametrailers is done.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181564

Is that dumb thing between GB and GT fans still going on? If so, don't go over there and be shitty.
That's a shame. :( I didn't really follow them but I enjoyed the occasional thing of theirs I happened to catch. The E3 beef between GT and GB fans struck me as dumb and contrived, there should be room in this hobby of ours both for "jaded" guys cracking wise over press conferences and "fanboys" crying over Shenmue announcements.

As always, hope everyone involved lands on their feet.

#hireBosman

Man, games media is well, a hard job. I hope Austin writes a piece about it, only because he has insight into how hard it is. It's like, the one thing you hear over and over again is that getting into games journalism is a fools goal, that it's incredibly hard to get into it.

RIP Gametrailers.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just wondering though, is giantbomb pretty much the only games media site where a majority of their revenue comes from subscriptions?

Other than patrick klepek of course.

I've never seen someone take so long to drop a command capsule through the atmosphere

I mean I know the 90 degree approach didn't work, but maybe 5 degrees isn't the answer either

Just wondering though, is giantbomb pretty much the only games media site where a majority of their revenue comes from subscriptions?

I think so. Pretty smart move of them too, from the posts it sounds like GT had problems with people using adblockers.

Weird to see so many people blaming Youtube for this though.

Brashnir

I've never seen someone take so long to drop a command capsule through the atmosphere

I mean I know the 90 degree approach didn't work, but maybe 5 degrees isn't the answer either

They could have actually used some of that fuel they jettisoned to save themselves a bunch of laps, but at least they got that bucket down safely.

yami4ct

Seems like that's so. GB is also one of the few sites that's super personality based and can pull that off. GT is really the only other major one I would be able to think of.

Almost every other major site relies on the old ad-rev based model, which is getting pretty rough to keep up with.

What sort of shitty company just up and closes without letting the employees know? If I'm reading the situation right that seems like what happened with Gametrailers.

I believe so. Twitch channels notwithstanding, they're the only site that has subscribers as well as ads for the none-subbers.

What sort of shitty company just up and closes without letting the employees know? If I'm reading the situation right that seems like what happened with Gametrailers.

Seems to be a common practice, pulling the rug out from under the feet of employees.

I'm curious. GameTrailers was based in LA. To my knowledge, there is not much in the way of video game site down there. If those guys wanted to keep working in the video game industry as they were, they'd most likely have to relocate, right? Also, John Drake's fiancee, Andrea Rene, had worked with them in some capacity. Not sure if that was still ongoing.

They could have actually used some of that fuel they jettisoned to save themselves a bunch of laps, but at least they got that bucket down safely.

I think it's kind of cute that Austin thought for a while that the capsule might bounce off the atmosphere or whatever and break back out of orbit

yami4ct

I think so. Pretty smart move of them too, from the posts it sounds like GT had problems with people using adblockers.

Weird to see so many people blaming Youtube for this though.

I'm not too surprised that's what happened. The ever escalating war between advertisers and savy consumers is reaching its breaking point and content creators are going to be collateral damage. I mean, they've been the collateral damage as ads have kept getting more intrusive, but I won't be surprised if there are repercussions beyond just viewing experience.

santeesioux

I just realized I hadn't really gone to Gametrailers since they hosted Angry Video Game Nerd videos on Screwattack on that site when I was in high school, and that was like ten years ago.

hamchan

It's a rough industry. It felt like they were getting more attention with more focus on personalities so that's a shame.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Much like how I feel that giantbomb is a beta of the youtube gaming stuff, I also feel that giantbomb was kinda like patreon for gaming media before that was a thing.

You could view the people using Patreon as a sort-of subscription service as well, though it's a bit less explicit there.

That's actually a good alternative these days. People staking it out on their personalities and going to Patreon. I dunno if it's common for games journalists to take that route though.

def sim

Dave Snider ‏@enemykite 3m3 minutes ago
For a solid three years, we judged GB compression quality against @GameTrailers. They seemed like the only other people that gave a damn.

Dave Snider ‏@enemykite 1m1 minute ago
I also secretly wondered how they afforded it and just assumed no one higher up at Viacom was paying attention to bandwidth.

in a weird way it's probably better that it was shut down entirely than carry on as a shambolic skeletal wreck like 1up did before collapsing entirely.

killroy87

Dave Snider ‏@enemykite 3m3 minutes ago
For a solid three years, we judged GB compression quality against @GameTrailers. They seemed like the only other people that gave a damn.

Dave Snider ‏@enemykite 1m1 minute ago
I also secretly wondered how they afforded it and just assumed no one higher up at Viacom was paying attention to bandwidth.

That must have been in GT's older days, cuz their video player lately was absolute trash

Jintor

Kinda feel like maybe they should've made it a career mode goal instead of sandbox. Although maybe that'd be a lot more boring since Vinny wouldn't get to inefficiently strap twenty rockets to another twenty rockets like a crazy person.

Seriously you can get to the moon on two booster rockets and two or three liquid fuel rockets. (Getting back is another issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom