• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
2834490-gt02.jpg

This is going to be good.

I suggested something like this weeks ago. Basically, I hoped that Squad (KSP's developer) added a second-screen mode where someone could have all the maps and stuff on another screen (like an iPad) and the people in the rocket have cockpit view only (apart from EVA moments). I imagined GBEast would be in the rocket and GBWest would be "ground control". Man Squad really needs to add that to the game!

I really hope this Game Tapes includes a large portion of the Sony PS3 unveil

Doubt it. That was E3 2005. That was the year they had the Killzone 2 "gameplay" trailer.

Zebetite

Banned
Why didn't Vinny use the parachute? FFS.

they can only be used at a certain height as measured by sea level

the mountain meant they'd land before hitting that height

which version of fire emblem fates i buy boils down to one thing

rinkah or camilla

rinkah's a pretty weak unit, like, statistically-- if the dealbreaker is that you want to use one of these units in your army and want them to not be mostly dead weight then camilla wins handily

rinkah's a pretty weak unit, like, statistically-- if the dealbreaker is that you want to use one of these units in your army and want them to not be mostly dead weight then camilla wins handily

Rinkah's strength is a bit low, but she offsets it by giving her strong clubs/hammer and has pretty good speed.

Her defense though is so godlike. She's a damn wall.

Jintor

here's the thing about beast: there's no-one there to teach them and to lead them to the answers so it literally is throwing things at the wall until it sticks

Zebetite

Banned
Rinkah's strength is a bit low, but she offsets it by giving her strong clubs/hammer and has pretty good speed.

i did come to regret not having enough tankier units to survive the deluge of berserkers with silver axes in the lategame because 90% of the hoshido units are paper-thin

that's kinda the thing in birthright though, any unit is viable if you just put your mind to fixing them. i accept that rinkah is probably usable if you give her a nice forged weapon.

her strength isnt "a bit low" though. sakura has better strength growths! hayato has better strength growths! it's abysmal! what a strange, strange unit.

yami4ct

Space stations means docking, and they're a ways out from successfully docking anything.

Pretty much. Going for a 1-shot means having to be economical with resources. Going for a space station means docking. Either way, BEAST is going to have a rough go of it.

There are plenty of units in Hoshido that allow both offense and defense, especially if you use Defense Stance pair ups. Rinkah's defense is nice early, but by end game she is honestly kind of useless. With some stat manipulation, she's not going to be completely worthless, but there's no reason to go for her over units that fulfill all her tasks better. Hana, Oboro, Kaze, Silas, or Shiro or Sophie with the right parents are all much better long term investments.

yami4ct

i did come to regret not having enough tankier units to survive the deluge of berserkers with silver axes in the lategame because 90% of the hoshido units are paper-thin

that's kinda the thing in birthright though, any unit is viable if you just put your mind to fixing them. i accept that rinkah is probably usable if you give her a nice forged weapon.

her strength isnt "a bit low" though. sakura has better strength growths! hayato has better strength growths! it's abysmal! what a strange, strange unit.

For Axe users, Swordmasters like Hana and Ryoma as well as good High Ninjas are king. The hit rate on axe users is already abysmal and high avoid units are nearly invincible against them.

At that point, Silver Spear users are the only real threat. Generals are pretty easy to bait out with even remotely tanks non-sword units like Oboro. Great Knights, on the other hand, are absolute fuckers. Glad I had Sophie as a Paladin with a Beast Spear that could pretty much always 1-shot them.

Maybe I just got kinda lucky then? Idk, she's still totally doing damage on my playthrough and she hasn't promoted yet. But like you said, 95% of Hoshidan troops, including my Corrin, can't even take more than one hit maximum, so having a strong defensive unit in this game is important when 95% of them are already great attackers.

There are plenty of units in Hoshido that allow both offense and defense, especially if you use Defense Stance pair ups. Rinkah's defense is nice early, but by end game she is honestly kind of useless. With some stat manipulation, she's not going to be completely worthless, but there's no reason to go for her over units that fulfill all her tasks better. Hana, Oboro, Kaze, Silas, or Shiro or Sophie with the right parents are all much better long term investments.

Disagreed. Through chapter 15 my only good defensive troops are Rinkah and Oboro. No one on my team can take more than one hit so I always have to lead with Rinkah and Oboro. Well, Scarlet has good defense, but also is super weak to arrows so there's that.

And of course, Ryoma doesn't count. He's super broken lol

Oh and spoilers
Kaze is dead so I have no ninjas

yami4ct

Maybe I just got kinda lucky then? Idk, she's still totally doing damage on my playthrough and she hasn't promoted yet. But like you said, 95% of Hoshidan troops, including my Corrin, can't even take more than one hit maximum, so having a strong defensive unit in this game is important when 95% of them are already great attackers.

Disagreed. Through chapter 15 my only good defensive troops are Rinkah and Oboro. No one on my team can take more than one hit so I always have to lead with Rinkah and Oboro. Well, Scarlet has good defense, but also is super weak to arrows so there's that.

And of course, Ryoma doesn't count. He's super broken lol

Oh and spoilers
Kaze is dead so I have no ninjas

Hope you're not playing on Hard, because lack of Ninjas is going to be a real tricky one for you. You better raise up Kageru when you get her, because the High Ninja is probably the best class in Birthright.

Rinkah will likely have better Defense than most other units, but with her terrible growth rate in stats that matter, it doesn't work out overall. A tanky DPS Oboro isn't going to tank as well as a Rinkah, but in 99% if instances you don't need that, at least on hard or lower. In that case, hitting hard on counters is going to be far more important.

For high avoid units like Falcon Knights, Swordmasters and Ninjas, Defense becomes much less important as well.

I'm not gong to call her worthless, but the only unit I can think of that I would want to invest less in than Rinkah are the 2 mages. Rinkah is a pretty bad unit, but Orochi and Hayato are both garbage.

Hope you're not playing on Hard, because lack of Ninjas is going to be a real tricky one for you. You better raise up Kageru when you get her, because the High Ninja is probably the best class in Birthright.

Rinkah will likely have better Defense than most other units, but with her terrible growth rate in stats that matter, it doesn't work out overall. A tanky DPS Oboro isn't going to tank as well as a Rinkah, but in 99% if instances you don't need that, at least on hard or lower. In that case, hitting hard on counters is going to be far more important.

For high avoid units like Falcon Knights, Swordmasters and Ninjas, Defense becomes much less important as well.

My luck with numbers is so terrible I don't even risk moves with high avoid units. I've been hit on 20% and less chances and crit on 6% and less chances more often than I've avoided them so I don't even bother throwing my soldiers to the wolves like that unless they'll get the kill, which is why I value defense much more than avoid or even strength.

Also, Kagero and Saizo are far too behind in levels compared to the rest of my units for them to even be remotely useful and don't feel like grinding them so fuck that, even if Ninjas are OP. I'll just use one in conquest/revelations assuming I get one and
assuming they don't die because the bad story says so.

And I'm playing in hard.

yami4ct

My luck with numbers is so terrible I don't even risk moves with high avoid units. I've been hit on 20% and less chances and crit on 6% and less chances more often than I've avoided them so I don't even bother throwing my soldiers to the wolves like that unless they'll get the kill, which is why I value defense much more than avoid or even strength.

Also, Kagero and Saizo are far too behind in levels compared to the rest of my units for them to even be remotely useful and don't feel like grinding them so fuck that, even if Ninjas are OP. I'll just use one in conquest/revelations assuming I get one and
assuming they don't die because the bad story says so.

And I'm playing in hard.

I can't imagine playing some of the later levels without a ninja. Ooof. As you've seen. pretty much all the units in Birthright are pretty lightweight, so running high Avoid units is pretty much your only defensive units.

My one suggestion is (slight mechanical spoiler)

Grind a Saizo support with a high skill or speed mother. Kageru should be good, but I'm not too sure. If you pick up his kid Asugi after Chapter 18, you'll get him with an item called Child's Seal. That allows you to instantly promote him to a level 2 or so High Ninja. He should be perfectly usable there.

I can't imagine playing some of the later levels without a ninja. Ooof. As you've seen. pretty much all the units in Birthright are pretty lightweight, so running high Avoid units is pretty much your only defensive units.

My one suggestion is (slight mechanical spoiler)

Grind a Saizo support with a high skill or speed mother. Kageru should be good, but I'm not too sure. If you pick up his kid Asugi after Chapter 18, you'll get him with an item called Child's Seal. That allows you to instantly promote him to a level 2 or so High Ninja. He should be perfectly usable there.

I'll keep that in mind. I usually don't really grind supports in these games since im too focused on the strategy aspect to really care who's paired up with who unless the numbers make sense. Maybe I'll just wing it with Kagero and hope she can steal a kill here and there.

Also, I honestly forgot this game had children.

yami4ct

While we're off-topic, Togashi will come back and I'm excited.

I missed the announcement. Holy shit yes. Let's do this!

I'll keep that in mind. I usually don't really grind supports in these games since im too focused on the strategy aspect to really care who's paired up with who unless the numbers make sense. Maybe I'll just wing it with Kagero and hope she can steal a kill here and there.

Also, I honestly forgot this game had children.

The game's writer also forgot them given how much they're used in the story and the explanation. So dumb.

Sophie is a great character and an awesome unit and it sucks she gets no real use.

Pair Silas and Mozu. Promote Silas to great knight to pick up Luna and pass it on. Promote Sophie to Paladin. Laugh as the queen runs all over the map and destroys everyone in sight.

yami4ct

It already ended what are you even talking about.

Gon found his dad and that's it.

End of story.

There is so much important shit to take care of, even disregarding the Dark Continent build up.

The building Killua and Gon rivalry.
The story of the Spiders
Kurapika's story.
Leorio's rise to politics and his story in general
Meteor City

All that shit needs to be dealt with before the story can even begin to be closed. Luckily, Togashi should be able to close a good chunk of that in the next arc, even if it's in a new land.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There is so much important shit to take care of, even disregarding the Dark Continent build up.

The building Killua and Gon rivalry.
The story of the Spiders
Kurapika's story.
Leorio's rise to politics and his story in general
Meteor City

All that shit needs to be dealt with before the story can even begin to be closed. Luckily, Togashi should be able to close a good chunk of that in the next arc, even if it's in a new land.

Nah fuck all that shit.

It's a story about a boy searching for his father.

Everything else isn't going to exist.

Nah fuck all that shit.

Ging abandoned his son because hunting is that much fun. Until Gon abandons his own son, it mustn't end. At its core HxH is about avoiding responsibility to play Dragon Quest in your trash dungeon.

yami4ct

Nah fuck all that shit.

Nah. Gon's progression has little to do with Ging. The story is more about him growing up to become a great hunter in the shadow of his asshat absentee father. Just because he's met him now doesn't meant the story is done. Far from it.

Kurapika's story has always been far more compelling anyway and that shit needs to be wrapped.

Was it shown in the anime? Need to go back and revisit the beginning of this new arc. That's the wonderful part of reading HxH. Having to refresh your memory after months between chapters.

I ended up never watching the Chairman Election Arc for some reason, but just looking it up now, that scene was adapted. I should probably finally go back and check that out. I kinda didn't feel the need to see it, since I had already read it and I knew it was just buildup the anime couldn't pay off.

Chuck

Still without luck
that's not a 3

guess they're taking an extra star from dark souls 3's future score to stave off the Division fanboys.

Most of that review definitely doesn't read like a 4/5, but I agree with a lot of his points.

However, as it stands, the Dark Zone definitely needs work. It's obviously the main draw of the game, but it's got a lot of problems that Massive are going to have to hash out in the coming months. if they can do that, they have a real gem on their hands and I'm going to be playing for months. If not, then it's on to the next one.

yami4ct

In 'we should do a GB Book Club/we need new Bomb After Reading' news, I'm about a third to a half way through the first volume of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'm really digging it. Translation is a bit formal and straight, but the writer's style feels very History Book-esque, so the formal language definitely fits. It's fairly cheap, so I'd definitely recommend it to fans of classic Sci-Fi.

Chuck

Still without luck
yeah that reads very much like a 3 star review

In 'we should do a GB Book Club/we need new Bomb After Reading' news, I'm about a third to a half way through the first volume of Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I'm really digging it. Translation is a bit formal and straight, but the writer's style feels very History Book-esque, so the formal language definitely fits. It's fairly cheap, so I'd definitely recommend it to fans of classic Sci-Fi.

interesting recommendation. might check it out.

Mr. F

Banned
Colour me surprised. The consensus around the Division in both GB offices felt lukewarm at best, interesting to see that review. Feels like a bit of a disconnect between that score and the tone of conversation whenever it comes up.

Having played neither, can anyone speak to why this might be the case vs. something like Destiny? By comparison it felt like destiny was bringing up a lot of impassioned arguments and discussion where Division doesn't. I'm guessing it's rooted in expectation and pedigree that one might have been judged more harshly than the other despite both feeling similarly flawed.

yami4ct

interesting recommendation. might check it out.

The prologue was extremely dense and difficult to read. It sets up an interesting world, but it does it in this really weird deep detail that is a bit hard to latch onto given you're just starting to dive in.

Once the actual story started, I really have been enjoying what I've been reading.

Colour me surprised. The consensus around the Division in both GB offices felt lukewarm at best, interesting to see that review. Feels like a bit of a disconnect between that score and the tone of conversation whenever it comes up.

Having played neither, can anyone speak to why this might be the case vs. something like Destiny? By comparison it felt like destiny was bringing up a lot of impassioned arguments and discussion where Division doesn't. I'm guessing it's rooted in expectation and pedigree that one might have been judged more harshly than the other when despite both feeling similarly flawed.

I think you pretty much nailed it. It's Bungie, freed from their Microsoft shackles, bringing something new and exciting to the world. Versus Ubisoft bringing another Tom Clancy's "Big Shootin'!" to the market with some interesting twists.

I actually relistened to Jeff's argument for Destiny as most disappointing for this very reason. Was talking with some friends about what we find disappointing about the Division. One of Jeff's main points is that Bungie had all the resources in the world, and launch Destiny is what everyone got. Bungie had every chance in the world to knock it out of the fucking park and create the next flawlesss mega-franchise. Instead it fell a little flat.

Compare that to the Division where excitement started high with the Car Door Closing Simulator 201X trailer, and then kind of had a natural taper as we saw more and more of the game. With the Division we kinda just got what we expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom