• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Patreon is a very finnicky thing. You can get a ton of fake pledges and the money isn't steady.

It also can be super rough to build an initial base willing to pay you for your stuff. If you're not from an established base, you're left just making tons of content for free for a while hoping that if you're good, people will get behind you.

It can happen in real orbital dynamics if your spacecraft can generate lift in the atmosphere.

fortunately that's one piece of physics that isn't modeled in this game

I think it's hilarious how many Kerbals were just left in the middle of nowhere for however much time passed in-game, just scattered all over Kerbin

Patryn

I think so. Pretty smart move of them too, from the posts it sounds like GT had problems with people using adblockers.

Weird to see so many people blaming Youtube for this though.

Very smart. I believe Jeff has said that if they hadn't introduced subscriptions they never would have survived long enough to be bought by CBS.

In fact, even if they had survived, the major reason CBS was interested in them was because of their subscription base.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad to see, but you could see that one coming. All the big old names have been struggling.
And that's still an awful way to do it, though.

Myggen

I'm curious. GameTrailers was based in LA. To my knowledge, there is not much in the way of video game site down there. If those guys wanted to keep working in the video game industry as they were, they'd most likely have to relocate, right? Also, John Drake's fiancee, Andrea Rene, had worked with them in some capacity. Not sure if that was still ongoing.

Rene doesn't work for GT, so she'll be okay. Also you're right, most gaming media is based in SF. Lots of YT companies in LA though.

Shame about GT, really liked the staff of that site. The writing was sadly on the wall for quite some time though, I think every fan of the site could see it coming.

Lunar FC

fortunately that's one piece of physics that isn't modeled in this game

I think it's hilarious how many Kerbals were just left in the middle of nowhere for however much time passed in-game, just scattered all over Kerbin

Somebody needs to assemble a list of kerbal used in this mission and their ultimate fates.

GT always existed in the back of my mind (and more synonymous with Dragonball than Gametrailers) but I'm still shocked they're gone. It seems so sudden. For the employees, even.

As a sort of tangentially-related question, has Giant Bomb ever discussed the why's and how's behind their subscription stuff? (Like, what gave them the idea to introduce it in the first place.) It really seems to have guided the way GB has developed over the years--heavy on personality- and video-based content. I recall some early Bombcasts promoting it, but nothing very specific beyond "it exists!"

This one is so crazy... and sad. Hope he lands on his feet (along with the others).

Myggen

What was the writing on the wall? It seemed like they were relatively healthy as an outsider.

Defy Media, the YT company that bought the site and fired half the staff, seemed to lose interest in them pretty quickly. They got moved into a tiny office with no windows, got a much smaller studio space etc. It just seemed like it would eventually happen, and people have been paranoid about it in the GT thread on GAF for months now. Not surprised that it's happened like this either, last round of firings Defy didn't give any notice. Seems like a shitty way to go.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thank you all for your insight, guess I thought they were healthy because they seem to have a crew people liked despite geoff leaving, but I missed all the other layoffs.

BearPawB

Banned
Running videogame sites is hard.

Great people, passionate, doing what they love, isn't enough if it just doesn't make money.

Myggen

Thank you all for your insight, guess I thought they were healthy because they seem to have a crew people liked despite geoff leaving, but I missed all the other layoffs.

Yeah, they were popular on GAF. But Defy is the company that owns Smosh among others, so I guess they weren't seen as a priority.

As for someone asking about the background of GB's Premium membership. Hasn't Jeff talked about how Whiskey after a while saw no future in ads and decided to try a Premium model? I don't think it was any more complicated than that.

BearPawB

Banned
People in the gametrailers thread talking about how Adblocker is to blame.

And I am not saying they are wrong. But man was GB right to secure a different source of funding.

It is unreasonable not to expect people to run an adblocker in this day and age. (i see ads on gaf, don't worry mods). More sites are going to close until they start developing other sources of funding.

People in the gametrailers thread talking about how Adblocker is to blame.

And I am not saying they are wrong. But man was GB right to secure a different source of funding.

There are multiple reasons why the site failed, but probably one of them was the ad situation since they made a video on it. Unfortunately they're a casualty of war between people who want an unobtrusive, malware free internet experience, and fucking ad companies.

dude I work in internet security, you'd be fighting an uphill battle trying to get me to disable adblockers and script killers.

if your revenue stream is based off of something unrelated to your content that is intrusive and/or potentially hazardous... you can't really get too mad at people for circumventing it.

Wtf, somebody got rid of my chart of all current and past gb employees that I added to that. I had thier positions and years at gb and everything. :(

Which is unfortunate because it seem to left quite a bit of a missing gap in the wiki page. Also, the page didn't include the Beastcast.

Yeah, they were popular on GAF. But Defy is the company that owns Smosh among others, so I guess they weren't seen as a priority.

As for someone asking about the background of GB's Premium membership. Hasn't Jeff talked about how Whiskey after a while saw no future in ads and decided to try a Premium model? I don't think it was any more complicated than that.

Oh yeah. I think the Whiskey subscription worked for all their sites, IIRC, so that'd make sense. I wasn't really following GB back then.
Actually looking up at all these lead me to the giantbomb wikipedia page which is hilarious to me in how serious it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Bomb#Impact

Serious... and yeah, decent.

Never even considered checking Wikipedia. Hrm.

Just watched the latest Metal Gear Scanlon. For chapter 2 can't they just do the yellow missions to progress the story? It's been a while since I played so I forget if that's how it worked.

I doubt Giant Bomb will go after any of the former GT guys, but I hope GameSpot does. If they get anyone, I hope they'd get Kyle Bosman (for videos, especially if he can continue his segments) and Brandon Jones (for his top-notch voice over skills).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt that Gamespot is in any position to go on a hiring spree, but CBSi seems confident about that site so who knows?

BearPawB

Banned
Which is why Wikipedia has never been a trusted source for school papers. Though, they have gotten much better about it. Apparently, it used to be even easier.

I was just amazed I didn't have to like...make an account...or sign in with facebook. Or anything. I literally hit one button to get that table added back in

Patryn

I doubt Giant Bomb will go after any of the former GT guys, but I hope GameSpot does. If they get anyone, I hope they'd get Kyle Bosman (for videos, especially if he can continue his segments) and Brandon Jones (for his top-notch voice over skills).

I doubt GB has the budget for more people. I believe they've said it will be a while before they hire any more people.

Bacon

Brandon Jones' voiceover work is fucking phenomenal. I've always enjoyed GT reviews and a big part of the reason why is his voiceovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom