• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the latest Metal Gear Scanlon. For chapter 2 can't they just do the yellow missions to progress the story? It's been a while since I played so I forget if that's how it worked.

yes but you have to do some of the padding blue missions to unlock the new stuff

Frenden

Banned
I use Pocket Casts with the high quality subscriber video rss feed. I watch them on my phone, PC, tablet, whatever, and Pocket Casts keeps track of position and watched state.

Zaph

Damn, what a shame about GT.

Remember Jeff saying recently the balance of video hosting costs vs in-house ad sales is at the tipping point where it probably now makes more financial sense to go fully youtube-hosted if they had launched the site today. Can't imagine what the numbers must have looked like for GT.

Danny is showing GameTrailers lots of love on Twitter.

Damn, what a shame about GT.

Remember Jeff saying recently the balance of video hosting costs vs in-house ad sales is at the tipping point where it probably now makes more financial sense to go fully youtube-hosted if they had launched the site today. Can't imagine what the numbers must have looked like for GT.

Man, I can't imagine a world without YouTube. And in fact, despite being 19 when YouTube launched, it's sort of hard to remember a pre-YouTube world, to remember the Wild West of so many various video players. I remember watching said videos, but remember very little about those video players, since YouTube absolutely perfected (well, not immediately) everything.

Anybody blame ad blocker too? I don't use it but when I talk about it with other people, some of them talk as if they're going to die if they didn't have it.

Tubobutts

Wow that's crazy. I mean, I haven't been to gametrailers for like ten years so I don't know what's been going on with them, but they used to be my preferred way to watch video game videos.

I never frequented Gametrailers but anytime a site with a following like that shuts down it's a major bummer. Hope the staff there lands on their feet.

That sucks for GT but i think it was coming for a while (Keighly, Shane Stat leaving, layoffs, wasn't a fan of the Defy company, etc)

still though *pours 40*

I never frequented Gametrailers but anytime a site with a following like that shuts down it's a major bummer. Hope the staff there lands on their feet.

They were pretty damn good in the early days and the E3 stuff was usually some of the best (i chilled with them for a good while until GB took over my viewing time)

Ooooh shit, just finished the latest Project BEAST.

What a great episode! Every pass through the atmosphere was exhilarating, and then that teaser at the end!!
I cannot freaking wait for the next episode.

Liamc723

GameTrailers is my favourite website behind GiantBomb, so I really hope everyone lands on their feet and gets new jobs soon.

I would absolutely support a patreon if they got back together, they're a great crew.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
High quality video production is either expensive or slow, you don't get fast and cheap. Its why everyone is either going low-fi on YouTube or making the subscription thing work like GB. Ad revenue just doesn't support high quality video any more. The question is if it will continue to support text

Damn, super sad to hear about GT. Used to watch their reviews all the time. Hope they all land on their feet.

Also, it's always bizarre how many drive by shitposts about GB show up in GT threads. The sites seem barely connected to each other.

Chuck

Still without luck
I had pretty much the same reaction as drew to finishing chapter 1

which is to say "fuuuuuuuuuuuck this shit"

The Kerbal teaser is out of this world.
High quality video production is either expensive or slow, you don't get fast and cheap. Its why everyone is either going low-fi on YouTube or making the subscription thing work like GB. Ad revenue just doesn't support high quality video any more. The question is if it will continue to support text

Rock, Paper, Shotgun introduced a subscription service (for supporter articles) last year that they've said is working well for them. They're entirely PC-focused and largely text-based with some video stuff. IIRC it's like IGN where the subscription has additional benefits, like coupons or free games or stuff like that.

So I'd imagine it's crowdsourced revenue or bust, with ads going away in the long-term. Advertising is counter to usability, and this has been its downfall in an era where usability and instant access are key.

bigkrev

I bet Jason and Dan will help him along by telling him what he has to do to unlock the missions, there's enough there to warrant more than just looking at Youtube videos.

Don't you have to listen to every Important (marked Yellow) tape to trigger
The Huey Exile and Quiet leaving?
I can't fathom Drew spending 30 minutes or more just listening to tapes

Just got a new ISP at the apartment:

1XVg2aI.png

And this ain't even wired. Read it and weep, Glitches!

yami4ct

Since this is the unofficial Taco Bell OT (TM), did anyone grab their latest monstrosity yet? Not going to lie, the images make it look like a real winner.

I'm screaming at Project B.E.A.S.T.

They seem to have this conception that they'll be stuck in orbit if they eject their booster too early during this weird re-entry experiment they're doing. but their periapsis is IN ATMOSPHERE. Even if they ejected, every time they pass through the atmosphere, they will slow down. Eventually the orbit would degrade enough that they would actually re-enter. They're literally ignoring the very principle that they're already using!

Brashnir

I'm screaming at Project B.E.A.S.T.

They seem to have this conception that they'll be stuck in orbit if they eject their booster too early during this weird re-entry experiment they're doing. but their periapsis is IN ATMOSPHERE. Even if they ejected, every time they pass through the atmosphere, they will slow down. Eventually the orbit would degrade enough that they would actually re-enter. They're literally ignoring the very principle that they're already using!

I have good news
they use that principle to get home. Even if they do it in the slowest way possible by jettisoning their remaining fuel

Bowlie

Banned
15 MB sounds like a dream to me. Because the rural US has trash internet, I have to live with a connection that goes between 1.5 and 2.

And here I was thinking that every place up there had great internet. Grass is always greener, I guess.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I have good news
they use that principle to get home. Even if they do it in the slowest way possible by jettisoning their remaining fuel
Pretty sure they were misled by the visuals:
they're so afraid of their remaining fuel exploding from atmospheric heat that they eject it super early, even though the actual heat they're experiencing is mild and it just looks scary on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom