• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
so the little bit of wrestling info and stories I get from the GB guys are usually enough for me, and I've never really had a desire to actually watch wrestling. but lately i've been seeing some stuff from lucha underground that kind of has me interested? has anyone here watched lucha underground and do you think someone who never really got into WWE and stuff would enjoy it? it seems pretty different, it looks like it leans heavy into the goofy stuff

so the little bit of wrestling info and stories I get from the GB guys are usually enough for me, and I've never really had a desire to actually watch wrestling. but lately i've been seeing some stuff from lucha underground that kind of has me interested? has anyone here watched lucha underground and do you think someone who never really got into WWE and stuff would enjoy it? it seems pretty different, it looks like it leans heavy into the goofy stuff

I follow WWE almost exclusively, but people I follow on twitter/read stuff from/listen to SWEAR by Lucha Underground. It's helped by being pre-taped and given a seasonal format, so their stories can have a beginning, middle, and end.

someone grab patrick and make him talk about zero escape three.

yeah no but how would you like him telling you what he thinks about that new Amityville movie trailer

why not

b-but what if he took a picture of himself making a goofy face and used it as a thumbnail, what about then

Watching Game Tapes, and Jesus, the early years of the PS3 really were a God damn mess, weren't they? Loads of games that were either bad, took forever to come out, or never came out to begin with.

Watching Game Tapes, and Jesus, the early years of the PS3 really were a God damn mess, weren't they? Loads of games that were either bad, took forever to come out, or never came out to begin with.

As someone who got one the month after launch, it was pretty bad (especially in hindsight). The PSN store was not an app, but was built off of the awful web browser. You could only download one thing at a time and could not do background downloads, so downloads were a pain. Demos were quite scarce the first few months. I remember thinking that any PSN update (Thursdays back then, not Tuesdays) was a good one if it had a demo. Of the games, Resistance was really fun and I am very nostalgic about playing through the campaign. I also had at that point Madden 07 (sluggish), Call of Duty 3 (so-so), and Fight Night Round 3 (the most next-gen looking game I had at the time). They did a remarkable job turning things around. I have to assume some of that can be attributed to management changes and smart hires and smart decisions, decisions that led to PS4.

Also, I had this to say a while back in a thread about the 10 year anniversary of the PS3 being announced:
I wonder how much better things would have gone for devs (especially earlier on) if the PS3 had unified RAM. Like others have said, the GPU should have been better.

Also, I am of the mind that Cell was not a failure, the problem with it was that it was so archaic compared to competing PC-based architectures. Think of it this way, to a 3rd Party Publisher, PC-based architectures is so well known, it could be thought of as a native language to them, whereas Cell would be a foreign language and to understand it they would have to take time to learn a new language. 3rd Party Publishers were not (for the most part) going to learn Cell when they could more easily (and less expensively) develop using the PC architecture for PC/360 and port the game over to PS3. It didn't make much business sense to them to learn it. Early on, I think this is one reason why the gap between versions was so vast. On the flip-side, look at Sony's 1st Party output. They obviously were forced to learn Cells intricacies. Many of the most impressive games from last gen came from them. They seemed to learn Cell inside and out. I mean, look at what happened when ND had started porting TLOU to PS4. It was so optimized for Cell, it was a mess to bring over to X86 at first.

So, I am wondering for those that had PS3's what would you have preferred:
A: As released
B: Unified RAM, Better GPU, and Cell (Imagine what ND would've been able to accomplish with that)
C: Unified RAM, Better GPU, and CPU-based Architecture (Essentially PS4/XB1 (and 360, too?))
D: Or Ken's crazy concept of no GPU and instead it had Dual Cell Processors.

As hard as it was for 3rd Parties with Cell, I kind of would want to pick B. I really would've like to seen what the 1st Party devs could do with unified RAM and a better GPU coupled with Cell.

Looking back after all this time, early PS3 was all right on its own merits. Xbox 360 was simply the better product that offered much of the same software. PS4 to XB1 situation. But not, you know, PS1 to Saturn difference. But speaking as a Xbox 360 and PC owner, first two years were PS2 over HDMI, Warhawk, blu-rays, MGS4.

It is the best thing going for me. I love story arcs in wrestling, a little goofiness, and luchadores. Check it out.

Anjin M

I couldn't care a bit about WWE, but I like Lucha Underground. It's worth it to watch at least one episode to see what you think.

Jintor

actually an alex/austin 999 playthrough would be dope

well

not really, i don't know how dope an lp of a vn can be

but if any lp of a vn could be dope it would be that combo

I want to see Austin (and the crew) play a full game in Stellaris.
I suppose they could always play the GBA ones through an emulator or on the Retron.

Or Wii U (I guess that's an emulator too, but so is the Retron). I don't think they've played any of the games on the original systems.

But I believe Vinny has said he's planning to stop either at or before SotN.

demidar

well

As long as they keep handwritten notes and show them to the stream every once in a while, cos that game is trippy.

ZTD is gonna be so good.

fstop

Neo Member

well

I think the repetition and their aversion to editing could make that a particular chore to watch. However, I'm getting increasingly spoiled by a YouTuber who edits his videos so tightly that even his worst VN never became background noise the way many GB videos do these days

Something about salt and sanctuary looks very ugly and cheap visually to me.

It's just this whole 2d pixel thing

look at stardew valley. That games looks like the person was using everything he could to make that style of look. A limitation of tool availability and skill.

S&S looks like the team behind it was competent technically, but they decided to make it in that style because they thought it would look cool.

It looks like a worse Rogue Legacy without the humor or style to it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's that the characters look really out of place in the environment. Not the style themselves but something about them. They just look very 'layered on top of the background.' Which looks very flash game-y to me.

Not a huge fan of the style either though.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Also just checked. It continues. (MGSV last played.)
iDyZSKn.png

We're not gonna go this far just to stop at the end of Chapter 1.

yami4ct

Finally finished Fire Emblem Conquest Chapter 10 on Hard. Has to be one of the most well designed and tense strategy game maps I've ever played. I got really frustrated for a while, but once I cracked it I fell in love. Took me way too long though. My thumbs actually hurt from playing so long.

Also didn't expect Zero Time Dilemma to launch in June. Glad we don't have to wait too long to finish that series up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Something about salt and sanctuary looks very ugly and cheap visually to me.
I think it's the animation that works like in Flash. I don't know what it's called. Like each limb is a different graphic and is moving on a path.
Some devs pull that off pretty well like Klei, but there's a point where it can become really cheap looking.

yami4ct

I wish my thumb could hurt from playing fire emblem for too long.

Luckily the games will be as good in May as they are now (assuming you're EU. I forget everyone's territories). The games are all freaking awesome and there's so much damn content there. They are going to be worth the wait, I promise. Conquest already looks to be one of my favorite strategy games ever and Birthright aint no slouch despite being quite a bit easier.

It sucks there wasn't a worldwide launch. I wish everyone could enjoy these amazing games at the same time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haha nah, I actually do enjoy your impressions, and I've mostly made peace with it.

Also, psvr preordered. See you guys on the other side.

Strax

The two things that me and my friends wanted that XBOX 360 didn't have but the PS3 had were free multiplayer and Bluray. Still to this day I find paying for online play on the PS4 its biggest failure.

It took me until this latest Vinnyvania ep to realize that the GBeast crew relies way too much on improv humor. This football bit is going nowhere.

The two things that me and my friends wanted that XBOX 360 didn't have but the PS3 had were free multiplayer and Bluray. Still to this day I find paying for online play on the PS4 its biggest failure.

The way they snuck that by in the middle of their whole "EAT SHIT MICROSOFT" spiele was kind of disgusting

yami4ct

I decided to hold off on Fire Emblem just so I can finish all this other shit first.

but I really want to play it.

Fates is a really fantastic set of games.

Playing Birthright and Conquest back to back really has shown me what an interesting thing map design is. The games are mechanically vey similar, but because of the map design each game encourages vastly different styles of play.

Birthright is a very defensive game. You set your tanky units just on the edge of enemy range, let them come to you and get punished with counterattacks and then you slowly move your line across the map.

Conquest is far more offensive. You have to go to where the enemies are or else you risk being overrun. It's interesting how the game uses map rewards to really teach you that. It often puts houses and chests behind enemy lines in such a way you have to really push to get them. It's teaching you map mechanics through optional rewards. It's a great and subtle bit of game design.

The latest map I've played was something really different from what I've ever seen. On its face, it was a Defense map. In Fire Emblem, that usually means you just wall off the point and tank out the timer. Here, that wasn't an option. It was early enough on that you didn't have enough tanks to go around and there were flying and ranged enemies the really prevented that. The map played out in stages. You first had to expand your territory to stop from being overrun, as well as pick up the optional rewards. Then the enemies began pushing back super hard and you had to retreat to your defensive point and make a really tense last stand. I've never really seen a Fire Emblem map move through multiple phases like that. It was super cool to figure out how to play it.

Also didn't expect Zero Time Dilemma to launch in June. Glad we don't have to wait too long to finish that series up.
Same, I need to quickly burn through 999 at some point real soon because I'm someone who played VLR without having played 999.
The way they snuck that by in the middle of their whole "EAT SHIT MICROSOFT" spiele was kind of disgusting
It was incredible, props to the person who came up with that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom