• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't think the DOTA 2 announcer is meant to be taken seriously.

They only get away with it because it's Valve and people assume it's tongue in cheek. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the mod made by teens in 2003 that used "pwned" was doing it as genuinely as anybody ever has.

KingKong

I will still never understand why people like farming sims.

the thing I don't get is that people see that it's just a grind - get enough x to buy y and upgrade to z, then get enough z to buy or upgrade w, but they just keep going and talk about how they played it for 40 hours like it's a good thing. duh, there's a reason those games are addictive

hamchan

Farming sims like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley provide the addictive progression seen in many mobile games and Destiny without the gall to try and charge you money for micro transactions.

Bowlie

Banned
It's also calming. I always play Harvest Moon as a pastime, taking my time growing my farm with that sweet soundtrack and cute animals. There's no other game that does that to me.

kvk1

Hard to say. Dota's announcer is pretty fucking dumb too and I don't think it's meant as a joke.

They only get away with it because it's Valve and people assume it's tongue in cheek. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the mod made by teens in 2003 that used "pwned" was doing it as genuinely as anybody ever has.

hmm

i think you're wrong mate, but who knows

Xater

Farming sims like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley provide the addictive progression seen in many mobile games and Destiny without the gall to try and charge you money for micro transactions.

It also is an underused theme in video games. Something video games can learn from board games is to be a little braver with the theme of your game.

Zaph

As much as I love the old Sim games, HM/SV isn't really my thing, but I'm really glad the dev went buy-to-play on PC rather than what could have been a very lucrative mobile P2W game. Hopefully the success of SV makes other devs and pubs think twice before bastardising another once-great management game for mobile.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It also is an underused theme in video games. Something video games can learn from board games is to be a little braver with the theme of your game.
Well why would you even shoot hundreds of enemies on a farm? You still have to make a video game at some point.

Unless...

The guest column this week is super good. This line especially is great and is what I always tell myself or other people when they're losing a lot of games and getting frustrated.

If that sounds familiar, try picking up a competitive game and putting in some work. Lose a whole lot, but instead of getting angry and blaming the game or your teammates or whatever, try finding concrete, specific things you can improve on, and do those things in the next game. Did you win? Doesn't matter! You got better at a thing.

Also, getting to play a CvS arcade cabinet? So damn lucky. I wish CvS2 was on fightcade or modern consoles with a good netcode.

Xater

Well why would you even shoot hundreds of enemies on a farm? You still have to make a video game at some point.

Unless...

This wasn't just related to farming and not everything needs to be a shoot bang. ;)

But except for indies most are basically bound to make something for the lowest common denominator.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't think SOTN would be that much fun because at some points you just have to grind in those games. (Also I'm ready to move on to something else)

strafer

They basically repeated the same text from the written reviews so it felt stilted, imo. One of the video features I don't miss especially since the QLs are so much more entertaining.

QL's are meh..running for almost 2 hours is not entertaining.

Patryn

They basically repeated the same text from the written reviews so it felt stilted, imo. One of the video features I don't miss especially since the QLs are so much more entertaining.

They were also one of the most labor intensive videos to produce. Probably take a day or two to generate one 5 minute video review.

LiK

They were also one of the most labor intensive videos to produce. Probably take a day or two to generate one 5 minute video review.

yea, I remember Vinny saying having to edit gameplay to match the words was just too much to handle especially with all the other videos they needed to produce.

hey, that 1h45mn "quick" look of Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments convinced me that those games weren't being made solely so that Justin McElroy could have a good laugh at e3.

6K69AJt.png

KlO4pnd.gif

I always believed you'd do the right thing. The idea of just watching the cutscenes was perverse - Chapter 2 has some of the best parts of the game.

Like I said a few weeks ago, on Wednesday, March 24th (next week), Giant Bomb will have been officially part of CBSi longer than they were a part of Whiskey Media.

First the shirts and now this. Dan should sue for gimmick infringement.

I guess Patrick's thinking "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

Jeff played Quantum Break yesterday but he can't say shit about it which is a shame because of embargo. Mixlr confirmations, I guess he's going to review the game.

Patryn

Jeff played Quantum Break yesterday but he can't say shit about it which is a shame because of embargo. Mixlr confirmations, I guess he's going to review the game.

The embargo still ends well before the game is out. This isn't a situation where they're trying to hid impressions.

Bakalar and O'Dwyer should be full time Giant Bomb duders, especially Bakalar. He's too good to rot in CNET

Can't forget Mary. She deserves to jump aboard as well.

The embargo still ends well before the game is out. This isn't a situation where they're trying to hid impressions.

Yeah, I know. Remedy are always good in my book but I just wish we would be done with this pre-release restrictions so we could hear some of the juicy details about a game and impressions.

Either way, I'm there day 1 for whatever Remedy puts out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom