• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have good news
they use that principle to get home. Even if they do it in the slowest way possible by jettisoning their remaining fuel

Pretty sure they were misled by the visuals:
they're so afraid of their remaining fuel exploding from atmospheric heat that they eject it super early, even though the actual heat they're experiencing is mild and it just looks scary on screen

Right, I figured they would, but there was a point where Austin was like
oh if we jettison early we'll just be stuck in orbit!
when the point where they were in danger of that had already passed.

FStop7

Banned
Is there an XCOM-2 QL coming? I've seen the EX... I already bought the game but I'm having trouble getting into it. I'm hoping for motivation via QL antics.

Is there an XCOM-2 QL coming? I've seen the EX... I already bought the game but I'm having trouble getting into it. I'm hoping for motivation via QL antics.

Dan said in his periscope that he'll hope to have the game done sometime around Wednesday and that he'll review and do a QL of it.

Alright GiantBombGAF, a question only you can answer: when I walk into the office today, sit down, set my phone on the cradle, what do I watch first? Project BEAST or the Hulu cut of RAW?

Tubobutts

Alright GiantBombGAF, a question only you can answer: when I walk into the office today, sit down, set my phone on the cradle, what do I watch first? Project BEAST or the Hulu cut of RAW?
I need to know how much you hate yourself, life and your fellow man before answering.

Oh man. That teaser at the end of BEAST! I thought I knew what it was going to be, but it ended up being EVEN BETTER.

I was wondering what Austin was referring to last episode when he said Scott was going to be there soon to film whatever...Thought it was some unrelated project but wow!

That sure is a good question.

At least I have unlimited bandwidth. It might take me 3 days to download a game the size of The Witcher 3, but I can download it 10 times in a month if I wanted.

Real question: I assume you're using wired. If not, and you feel that you are limited to wi-fi, you're not. Have you heard of powerline adapters? If not, they are devices you plug into an outlet by your modem and in another outlet by whatever devices you want to use internet on. From your modem, you connect an ethernet cable to the first wall device. Then from the second wall device, you plug another ethernet cable into the device that will use the internet. Basically, your home's electrical system become a long ethernet cable linking your device directly to your modem! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There is one caveat: They typically don't work well when one or both of the outlet adapters are plugged into a surge protector (it affects the speed capability). There is a way around this, but it costs more. It's the same devices, but with an outlet built into them. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q29OW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used the non-pass through versions, and for me, my PS4 has gone from 1 to 2 Mb/s via Wi-Fi to closer to 30Mb/s via Wired.

yami4ct

Real question: I assume you're using wired. If not, and you feel that you are limited to wi-fi, you're not. Have you heard of powerline adapters? If not, they are devices you plug into an outlet by your modem and in another outlet by whatever devices you want to use internet on. From your modem, you connect an ethernet cable to the first wall device. Then from the second wall device, you plug another ethernet cable into the device that will use the internet. Basically, your home's electrical system become a long ethernet cable linking your device directly to your modem! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWRUICG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There is one caveat: They typically don't work well when one or both of the outlet adapters are plugged into a surge protector (it affects the speed capability). There is a way around this, but it costs more. It's the same devices, but with an outlet built into them. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q29OW6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used the non-pass through versions, and for me, my PS4 has gone from 1 to 2 Mb/s via Wi-Fi to closer to 30Mb/s via Wired.

2 megs is the speed on wired for me. It isn't my internal network that's slow. It actually works pretty great. It's that fast internet is literally not available where I live. The best option I have is Fixed-Band Wireless and that only gets me the 1.5-2 you see.

It's a lot better than what I used to have. We used to use satellite for a while, but that was basically the same speed, WAY worse ping and got throttled to dial-up speed after only like 5 gigs. We then used 3G as our main internet, but Sprint got rid of unlimited plans and kicked us off of our grandfatherd plan because we were heavy users. Even if you can find an unlimited 3G/LTE plan, you're still going to have the same problem of speeds getting throttled after a tiny amount of usage.

FStop7

Banned
Re-entry in KSP is really easy because it's very forgiving. Just have a heat shield for your capsule + a couple of drogue chutes and a main chute and you're pretty much guaranteed a safe landing. The only way to die is if you're really vertical when you hit the atmosphere.

Sad, but every news I heard from them over the last 5 years told the same story, that of a swifter 1up.com a decade later.

Danny is showing GameTrailers lots of love on Twitter.

Man, I can't imagine a world without YouTube. And in fact, despite being 19 when YouTube launched, it's sort of hard to remember a pre-YouTube world, to remember the Wild West of so many various video players. I remember watching said videos, but remember very little about those video players, since YouTube absolutely perfected (well, not immediately) everything.

Yeah, codec shenanigans, versions, hiccuping streams, few videos being more than 3m long. I lived in that world for 10 years and it's surprisingly fuzzy here too.

RealPlayer is still a threat.

The realest of threats.

2 megs is the speed on wired for me. It isn't my internal network that's slow. It actually works pretty great. It's that fast internet is literally not available where I live. The best option I have is Fixed-Band Wireless and that only gets me the 1.5-2 you see.

It's a lot better than what I used to have. We used to use satellite for a while, but that was basically the same speed, WAY worse ping and got throttled to dial-up speed after only like 5 gigs. We then used 3G as our main internet, but Sprint got rid of unlimited plans and kicked us off of our grandfatherd plan because we were heavy users. Even if you can find an unlimited 3G/LTE plan, you're still going to have the same problem of speeds getting throttled after a tiny amount of usage.

Reasons like this are why the things Adam Orth was downright ignorant. It's also why XB1, if it released as it was presented in May 2013, would've had an even rougher go of things.

santeesioux

Don't you have to listen to every Important (marked Yellow) tape to trigger
The Huey Exile and Quiet leaving?
I can't fathom Drew spending 30 minutes or more just listening to tapes

I don't actually remember, but if he does he could just listen to it for half and second and move on, that wouldn't take that long.

Rlan

Does the level of snark go down in Firewatch after the opening section? Watching the Giant Bomb quick look I kind of felt that I don't really want to listen to these two characters out-snark each other for 5 hours.

Sad, but every news I heard from them over the last 5 years told the same story, that of a swifter 1up.com a decade later.

Yeah, codec shenanigans, versions, hiccuping streams, few videos being more than 3m long. I lived in that world for 10 years and it's surprisingly fuzzy here too.

The realest of threats.

That's what happens when you set a standard. Soon enough, it'll be hard to remember pre-iPhone style smart phones (iPhone= large glass touchscreens that dominate the front of the phone, no physical keyboards, rectangular shape, and few, if any physical buttons). Almost all smart phones seem to follow that design style.

yami4ct

Reasons like this are why the things Adam Orth was downright ignorant. It's also why XB1, if it released as it was presented in May 2013, would've had an even rougher go of things.

I'm lucky that my internet ping and uptime is consistent enough that always online never really is a problem. I can see how others who aren't as lucky can have major issues.

For me, it just delays me playing a game by a couple days if I can't get a physical copy. PC being all digital for me is a bit of a hassle, but it isn't a killer. I do think that people like me are a huge reason that all digital isn't going to take off for a while. That and major ISPs like Comcast instituting bandwidth caps are giving a reprieve on physical media's execution.

You hear a lot about the all digital future from people in the games press, but it's far easier to see that as a possibility when you live with Silicon Valley internet.

Archiveteam is attempting to archive the site and content. Unfortunately GameTrailers is blocking us so it's a more manual and ugly process than normal. :(

If you do IRC, feel free to hop on to EFnet #archiveteam where we're loosely organizing.

This is from the GameTrailers thread. Man, if Defy Media is behind this, that is just nasty and unnecessary. Let them save everything for historical purposes!

I'm lucky that my internet ping and uptime is consistent enough that always online never really is a problem. I can see how others who aren't as lucky can have major issues.

For me, it just delays me playing a game by a couple days if I can't get a physical copy. PC being all digital for me is a bit of a hassle, but it isn't a killer. I do think that people like me are a huge reason that all digital isn't going to take off for a while. That and major ISPs like Comcast instituting bandwidth caps are giving a reprieve on physical media's execution.

You hear a lot about the all digital future from people in the games press, but it's far easier to see that as a possibility when you live with Silicon Valley internet.

I really hope that Sony add external hard drive support to PS4. With the disks being required to be installed, that takes up tons of space. I hate having to delete downloaded games to make space. It's easy to delete a disk-based games, as installations don't take ll that long. My plan, if they offered external support, would be to install disks to a big external drives and digital games to the internal drive.

I didn't really get to see much of Bryan perform, but that was a fantastic speech. Pretty easy to see why people were nuts about him. I was wondering how people felt about it but the WrestleGAF thread's already back to talking about diva butts they'd like to eat and memeing it up about Reigns so I closed that tab pretty fast.

Is there anywhere to watch the Bryan speech online?

WWE's YT channel should have it up soon.

If my plan had a data cap that cut the connection, I'd probably have a real bad reaction. There's nothing to be done about the state of the internet. None of the cable companies I've talked to want to expand their service out this far, even though it's a ten minute drive to their local office.

I just don't fucking get it.

Related, does Xcom2 come in a boxed form, or is it just a download code? Authentication through Steam would be fine if the disk actually installs something.

yami4ct

If my plan had a data cap that cut the connection, I'd probably have a real bad reaction. There's nothing to be done about the state of the internet. None of the cable companies I've talked to want to expand their service out this far, even though it's a ten minute drive to their local office.

I just don't fucking get it.

Running wired infrastructure is incredibly difficult and expensive. It's why it either needs to be done as a public service by municipalities or there has to be have incentives provided to private companies (Huge subsidies, legalized monopolies, etc).

For internet service in particular, there's a ton of things to consider. Cable wire is typically run underground, which means you have to either get land given to you by the public government or negotiate to lease it from private holders. You also then have to go through the work of actually putting it in, a long and expensive digging process. Have to cross a major road? Well, you have an even bigger problem and good luck getting that solved. That's actually what's kept us from getting cable to our area even though lines have been run less than 5 minutes away.

It's also not as simple as running wires from an existing hub. Adding an additional neighborhood to a hub creates further congestion. If the last mile hub is already clogged, then they can't add more people and maintain quality for their current base. There's also the issue of distance. You can only run wires so far from the hub and maintain network quality. The only solution to these problems is to put in a new hub, which is an extremely large investment. If there are only a handful of houses in the neighborhood that would be serviced, there is zero way to make that back.

So, yeah, TL;DR: It's Tough. Real Tough.

I didn't really get to see much of Bryan perform, but that was a fantastic speech. Pretty easy to see why people were nuts about him. I was wondering how people felt about it but the WrestleGAF thread's already back to talking about diva butts they'd like to eat and memeing it up about Reigns so I closed that tab pretty fast.

WWE's YT channel should have it up soon.

I haven't seen much of him in the ring, but yeah. Dude is incredible.

Will probably be on their youtube soon enough.

Thanks.

justjim89

Bryan was so good at the craft of wrestling. Making it look logical and believable, while conveying a story. It was a treat to watch him wrestle these years, I saw him live once at Extreme Rules 2012. Combine that with his natural likability and organic underdog story, and he could've been one of the greatest and most successful of all time.

At least he has his health.

The next Powerbombcast will be a bummer.

Megasoum

Banned
LMAO from the Project BEAST comments on the site

2822034-0433724337-uRWgh.jpg

Mr. F

Banned
Aw man. Watching last week's UPF reminded me how well Brad and Vinny play off each other. Kind of makes me wish Brad was part of GBEAST.

maybe that will be why he leaves

I really, REALLY want to hear Jeff's thoughts if he ever reaches the end game stuff in The Witness, I mean, I already was hearing his voice when I got to the
color changing panels.

I really, REALLY want to hear Jeff's thoughts if he ever reaches the end game stuff in The Witness, I mean, I already was hearing his voice when I got to the
color changing panels.

My solution to beating those was using
the slow mo video recording/playback on my phone
, otherwise I would have gave up

Nowy

Project Beast has finally made made me come out of my lurkering ways to post in this thread. I've been playing KSP since its very first public release. I think I discovered it on the something awful forums. Being huge fans of GB and KSP makes this feature one of my favorites on the site, I hope they continue beyond the Mun and explore the Kerbol system.

I've watched them create the Luda Lander. An interesting rocket that is total overkill for the Mun, while at the same time, being horribly inefficient. That's not a knock on them, creating dumb rockets is half the fun. I wanted to see just how far I could send it, so I did my best to recreate it. I got very close but I had about 100 more delta-v than their version had, so I decided to take some fuel out of a stage so I ended up with roughly 50 less delta-v then they had. I figured that was close enough.

I decided I would try for Duna, which is the games equivalent to Mars. You have to know a little bit in order to go interplanetary. The two big things you need to know are the phase angle between the two planets, and your ejection angle. This website does all the math for you, just tell it where you want to go.

This has become a very long post so I'll try to make the rest quick. I had a couple close calls, like almost crashing into a planet and nearly running out of fuel, but I managed it. I landed a Kerbal on Duna and brought him home safely. All using the Luda Lander. I wonder if GB East knows that they're already set up for interplanetary travel. I recorded the flight, but its about 50 minutes long. I'll try and edit out the boring parts and see if its good enough to upload.

I really hope they don't end it after they rescue all those stranded Kerbals. Look how much there is left to explore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom