• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
For those who only listen to Tested podcasts when Will Smith is on them, Norm tweeted that a long GDC cast will be going up in an hour. Will and Jeremy are the guests.

LiK

good lord, finally watching Salt & Santuary QL and Jason put in some real work into that game from the playtimes. Is he gonna review it?

Turnstyle

Small world, it was your review that made me want a Quick Look, I nearly posted your review instead of the Meta link!

tumblr_mfpq0zOu7H1r9zdybo1_500.gif

Ha! Quite a coincidence!

Yeah, shame really, I always look forward to the prospect of more stealth games, but this game...oh boy. The graphics really are from a different era too. I captured this footage of the stunningly realistic water physics. It's like you're really there!

XDnBK5.gif

Thanks for reading my review!

jaina

good lord, finally watching Salt & Santuary QL and Jason put in some real work into that game from the playtimes. Is he gonna review it?
haha, it's too similar to Souls for a review.
Didn't notice his playtime, now I'm curious

Zaph

Yesss! Lots of VR talk.

They've been pumping out the VR videos too - a clip from one even became the top post on reddit.

Not sure if I'm going to get a headset yet, but watching/listening to its development has been really interesting, especially how games have changed and evolved their core mechanics to work around VR's limitations (and this newfound prioritisation of frametime over IQ is the best).

They've been pumping out the VR videos too - a clip from one even became the top post on reddit.

Not sure if I'm going to get a headset yet, but watching/listening to its development has been really interesting, especially how games have changed and evolved their core mechanics to work around VR's limitations (and this newfound prioritisation of frametime over IQ is the best).

If nothing else, VR is a disruptive tech that is poised to create more meaningful change in the gaming world than anything has in many years. Even if it doesn't hit like I want it to, these are exciting times!

Tested absolutely produces the best VR coverage.

Myggen

If nothing else, VR is a disruptive tech that is poised to create more meaningful change in the gaming world than anything has in many years. Even if it doesn't hit like I want it to, these are exciting times!

It isn't really disrupting anything though, is it? It isn't replacing anything.

VR is the only thing I still use Tested for, but I'm good on that too for a while now.

Tubobutts

I've now lost all interest in VR

LiK

i remember the Kinect QLs. good times. looking forward to their dumb faces when they're playing VR horror games.

yami4ct

You mean upf?

I'll take a Brad Doom UPF over what we got last week. I normally like even UPFs that others here hate, but boy that was one of the weakest hours of GB content I've seen. Redundant discussion of both Stardew and Clash Royal (Seriously, it was like word for word the same stuff we heard on podcasts and the quick look), a big miss with Drew's game (and I like his stuff normally) and an overlong and completely overdone VR discussion. Descent commercials were the only thing worth a damn.

It isn't really disrupting anything though, is it? It isn't replacing anything.

Developers and certainly Sony dedicating resources to pursue VR is already pretty disruptive, I'd say. I don't mean that "regular" games are going to go away or even change. It has certainly dominated a lot of the discussion around games for the past few months.

yami4ct

Developers and certainly Sony dedicating resources to pursue VR is already pretty disruptive, I'd say. I don't mean that "regular" games are going to go away or even change. It has certainly dominated a lot of the discussion around games for the past few months.

I would argue that it's not disruptive, but creative. It isn't really changing existing markets. It's creating whole new ones.

Disruptive is one of the worst and overused words in tech these days, so it's also kinda lost any meaning it had to begin with.

Myggen

But that's not what disruptive means, I don't see how that applies there. I hate the whole Silicon Valley disruption philosophy because I think it's largely bullshit, but I wouldn't even say that this fits their broad definition.

But this is pretty off topic.

yami4ct

But that's not what disruptive means, I don't see how that applies there. I hate the whole Silicon Valley disruption philosophy because I think it's largely bullshit, but I wouldn't even say that this fits their broad definition.

But this is pretty off topic.

I've seen more than a few presentations by Silicon Valley startup types in class and oh god I've grown to hate 'disruptive' so much now. It's mostly just a term used by assholes to try to make their product sounds actually significant or to give them a moral excuse to skirt currently existing laws.

No your new social network is not 'disruptive'. Nor is your slightly better industrial egg washing machine. You using that term almost makes me want to punch you.

Myggen

I've seen more than a few presentations by Silicon Valley startup types in class and oh god I've grown to hate 'disruptive' so much now. It's mostly just a term used by assholes to try to make their product sounds actually significant or to give them a moral excuse to skirt currently existing laws.

No your new social network is not 'disruptive'. Nor is your slightly better industrial egg washing machine. You using that term almost makes me want to punch you.

Agreed on all counts. I really enjoyed this The New Yorker article from 2014 about how overused it is.

I guess you could say this has been pretty disruptive, huh.

Sensiblechuckle.gif

Zekes!

I'm a little late to the brief discussion of what Castlevania game Vinny should end on, but I want to see him play the PS2 games

I actually didn't mind the second one, it was a decent B-tier action adventure game that only the PS2-era could deliver.

yami4ct

I'm a bit surprised we didn't get a conclusion GB Makes Mario today. Could have used some new content to counteract a shit day. I'll be catching up on Quick Looks, I guess.

I half expect them to waste a whole UPF trying to upload that thing at some point.

Agreed on all counts. I really enjoyed this The New Yorker article from 2014 about how overused it is.

There's a direct correlation now between people who seriously use the word 'disruptive' and people who have a prominent Ayn Rand collection. The term has evolved even beyond being just overused to being a calling card for a specific kind of asshole. I've dealt with them quite a bit and they're exactly as bad as they seem.

I'm a little late to the brief discussion of what Castlevania game Vinny should end on, but I want to see him play the PS2 games

I actually didn't mind the second one, it was a decent B-tier action adventure game that only the PS2-era could deliver.

Oh, I missed this too... I think he should play C64 just because lol C64. Realistically, I think it should be Bloodlines, Symphony, Aria and Adventure Rebirth bare minimum. I'd love Dawn, Portrait and Ecclesia but I dunno how easy it'd be to get a DS running on that set-up.

For those who only listen to Tested podcasts when Will Smith is on them, Norm tweeted that a long GDC cast will be going up in an hour. Will and Jeremy are the guests.

Awesome. Though, I do hope Norm doesn't say incorrect things about PSVR again. For someone way into VR, he seems to understand PSVR the least. For instance, he said the games that are 90hz are just 45hz games reprojected to 90hz. That is incorrect. Only 60hz games are reprojected (to 120hz). Games that are 90hz and 120hz do that natively. At that Sony PSVR GDC talk, they said no game under 60hz will be accepted. He also seemed to think the breakout box does more than it actually does.

yami4ct

Awesome. Though, I do hope Norm doesn't say incorrect things about PSVR again. For someone way into VR, he seems to understand PSVR the least. For instance, he said the games that are 90hz are just 45hz games reprojected to 90hz. That is incorrect. Only 60hz games are reprojected (to 120hz). Games that are 90hz and 120hz do that natively. At that Sony PSVR GDC talk, they said no game under 60hz will be accepted. He also seemed to think the breakout box does more than it actually does.

I didn't hear the under 60z thing. That's great to hear. Given PS4's underpowered nature, if they let devs go wild I could see a lot of people sacrificing comfort for the sake of good bullshots.

The breakout box is a misconception I see a lot. Many people seem to think it's some sort of boost to graphical or actually processing power, when it's just offloading tracking data.

I didn't hear the under 60z thing. That's great to hear. Given PS4's underpowered nature, if they let devs go wild I could see a lot of people sacrificing comfort for the sake of good bullshots.

The breakout box is a misconception I see a lot. Many people seem to think it's some sort of boost to graphical or actually processing power, when it's just offloading tracking data.

Yeah. If you want to read more about it, here is the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197796

What version of Symphony of the Night is considered definitive? I never played it but I think I want to.

Isn't really a poor version I'm aware of. PS1, original or PS3, and Xbox 360 versions are mostly the same. Saturn has Maria, slightly worse, least accessible copy. PSP version included with Dracula Chronicles changes writing and voices, adds Maria to the PS1 version.

justjim89

Astroneer looks really fucking cool. Definitely wanna check that out when it releases. I also love how you can audibly hear Drew falling in love with it the whole time.

PSX version is the best for SotN. PSP version is solid though many dislike the translation. Then, it's probably a toss up between the 360 and Saturn version. Saturn version runs the worst but is playable while the 360 version is missing fmv, had audio issues, and is missing a couple of other things.

def sim

PSX version is the best for SotN. PSP version is solid though many dislike the translation. Then, it's probably a toss up between the 360 and Saturn version. Saturn version runs the worst but is playable while the 360 version is missing fmv, had audio issues, and is missing a couple of other things.

So, the 360 version is only missing the intro FMV and that one licensed song? The others were patched IIRC.

This is going to sound incredibly petty because it is, but I can't wait for VR to go away, or at least hope that people stop talking about it until a model that's consumer affordable comes out.

I'm sorry.

Meneses

I have zero interest in VR and immediately tune out when the subject comes up, which makes for an... interesting podcast listening experience lately.

But I don't see that going away any time soon.

jaina

This is going to sound incredibly petty because it is, but I can't wait for VR to go away, or at least hope that people stop talking about it until a model that's consumer affordable comes out.

I'm sorry.
It's ok. I'm afraid of life (monsters) in deep water and hope people will eventually stop talking about oceans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom