• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraBuch

Banned
This is going to sound incredibly petty, but I can't wait for VR to go away, or at least hope that people stop talking about it until a model that's consumer affordable comes out.

I'm sorry.
Let's talk about anime instead.

Need to get caught up on Erased. I dug it but the constant depression gets to be a bit much in a marathon setting.

Steins;Gate and Welcome to the NHK are the GOAT.

Toradora is trash and that girl is trash and everyone who likes it is trash.

Bakemonogatari is basically about a high schooler trying to sneak a peak at an elementary school student's panties but it's still somehow compelling.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is the other GOAT.

Cromartie High School has the best dub ever.

Curufinwe

Cromartie is the anime I think Dan and Jeff would like.

Awesome. Though, I do hope Norm doesn't say incorrect things about PSVR again. For someone way into VR, he seems to understand PSVR the least. For instance, he said the games that are 90hz are just 45hz games reprojected to 90hz. That is incorrect. Only 60hz games are reprojected (to 120hz). Games that are 90hz and 120hz do that natively. At that Sony PSVR GDC talk, they said no game under 60hz will be accepted. He also seemed to think the breakout box does more than it actually does.

Tested has always being built around saying a lot of ignorant crap because doing basic research is too time consuming. Even Will Smith leaving didn't fix that.

VR is cool. The techology is ready. The financial investment is far too much for people to be selling it right now, and there are no games. None.

That's basically the long and short of it.

Summer Lessons.

Summer Lesson (just the one lesson, don't get ahead of yourself pal) is the kind of weird shit that I'm excited to see VR producing. It looks creepy, sure, but based on the more recent footage it's reminding me far more of something like Tomodachi Life than Love+. Harada's boys make good games.

...my curiosity ain't worth £350, though

daydream

Banned
The fine folks at USGamer have you covered, friend.

Jeff has half a capture kit for an N-Gage, so I'm sure he had a capture kit for a GBA somewhere.

yeah, i was watching t-frog's stream earlier, it's what gave me the idea

also no way they'd play on original hardware, i'd expect them to go full emulator if they did such a stream (which they won't)

VR is cool. The techology is ready. The financial investment is far too much for people to be selling it right now, and there are no games. None.

I'll say, reading into the launch line up for the three, only Budget Cuts catches my interest, and that is looking thin. Receiver, the $5 game jam game thin.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
What version of Symphony of the Night is considered definitive? I never played it but I think I want to.

Every version plays great (except Saturn has more issues with frames than the others, but even there the game is still classic).

You miss the humorous translations in the PSP version (and you have to play the Rondo of Blood remake to unlock it), the Saturn version has a host of minor issues, 360 is missing FMVs, all the DL versions are missing the licensed song at the end in the PS1 version.

I'd just play the PS1 version, but really for a new player none of this will matter. Just play whichever is easiest to get and experience the amazing gameplay for yourself.

I'll say, reading into the launch line up for the three, only Budget Cuts catches my interest, and that is looking thin. Receiver, the $5 game jam game thin.

I was a bit disappointed that there weren't any surprise announcements for the Rift launch. All those games were known quantities, and some of them stretch the definition of a "game".

Budget Cuts does look fantastic, but that's not a launch game is it?

LiK

Summer Lessons.

9O60BbS.gif

Zekes!

Yeah as a consumer I don't care at all about VR right now.

As a fan of video games though I think it's cool that all this gear is coming to market this year, but there's no way I'm purchasing any of it any time soon.

Even though I'm burned out on VR talk, I'm looking forward to hearing about it closer to the end of the year when people have gotten to spend more time with it.

Dineren

Banned

I'll admit I'm an outlier, but as someone with a TrackIR, HOTAS, and wheel/pedals, cockpit games alone easily sell it for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In a way, though it's really shitty rationalization honestly, but I hope that PS4's underpowered nature means that we get more stylised VR worlds.

I don't want VR to just be about hyper-realism.

Also I don't know what it says about me but I think that PSVR's price is pretty reasonable compared to the bullshit I spend huge amounts on.

In a way, though it's really shitty rationalization honestly, but I hope that PS4's underpowered nature means that we get more stylised VR worlds.

I don't want VR just be about hyper-realism.

Also I don't know what it says about me but I think that PSVR is pretty reasonable compared to the bullshit I spend huge amounts on.

I hope we get great art styles too, but this new photogrammetry stuff is fucking incredible.

I just added 7, that's fucking right 7 more usb 3.0 ports to my goddamn PC for VR. I want to stream the galaxy into my brain through my eyes and I want to do it now!

yami4ct

what i'd give for a gba anniversary stream

Man, the GBA was so good. Every Nintendo Handheld besides maybe the Gameboy Color has been pretty amazing. 3DS took a while to get there, but its lineup has fully matured into something amazing.

This comes from someone who owns between 2-4 of every Nintendo handheld, so maybe I'm just horribly biased.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's basically the same as a new console launch. There weren't any games at console launch either.

I'd honestly say that it's a much bigger change than any of the consoles released this gen.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what the percentage is of listeners that actually own a VR headset/have used one extensively/tried one etc. Probably not that high actually.

yami4ct

It's basically the same as a new console launch. There weren't any games at console launch either.

It's a bit worse than a console launch. Even when a console is a bit different, there's usually enough familiar there that devs know what to do with it.

VR right now has maybe a few really good tech demos that you can get a couple hours of time out of, but developers as a whole really don't know what to make of it yet. It's likely going to be a longer spell than usual before we get truly interesting and unique VR experiences that are cool for more than an hour or two.

I put 20 hours into Elite Dangerous in VR, and I plan to put even more into it once I have my Rift. That and DCS are the only things I need to tide me over for now.

yami4ct

See I find that exciting though. New format, new experiments.

I find it interesting, but there are too many questions right now for me personally to justify such a massive cost. I'm not paying $500 for a thing that can basically play a bunch of Job Simulators. If (once) VR experiences become more mature, I'm open to getting one.

I put 20 hours into Elite Dangerous in VR, and I plan to put even more into it once I have my Rift. That and DCS are the only things I need to tide me over for now.

Cockpit games are the obvious exception. They are ready made for VR. The way they are built is inherently translatable to the space the average VR consumer will have and I feel like stuff like TrackIR has really prepared devs of those games to cross over.

Summer Lesson (just the one lesson, don't get ahead of yourself pal) is the kind of weird shit that I'm excited to see VR producing. It looks creepy, sure, but based on the more recent footage it's reminding me far more of something like Tomodachi Life than Love+. Harada's boys make good games.

...my curiosity ain't worth £350, though

Does it really look creepy? It seems like one of the few games (the other one being Kitchen) that really nails the "presence" that makes VR impressive.

Frith

i listen to shit about videogames i wont play for hours each week

i also don't understand how talking about vr is particularly different to any other game i haven't played. the magical concept of looking at a thing and using now functional motion controls, its all interesting chat which is very easy to understand.

this is where we finally start hearing about what people will be selling its interesting as fuck.

is it literally i cant try this yet so shut up?

yami4ct

Does it really look creepy? It seems like one of the few games (the other one being Kitchen) that really nails the "presence" that makes VR impressive.

Conceptually, it's maybe a bit creepy. The reality of the game isn't 'gawk at/date' a virtual girl like many internet jokes paint it, though. It's a game about interacting with a virtual human being you swear is right in front of you.

It stands out as the one truly unique VR experience I've seen announced so far. It feels like a thing that can only exist because of VR and it's really interesting because of it.

i listen to shit about videogames i wont play for hours each week

i also don't understand how talking about vr is particularly different to any other game i haven't played. the magical concept of looking at a thing and using now functional motion controls, its all interesting chat which is very easy to understand.

this is where we finally start hearing about what people will be selling its interesting as fuck.

is it literally i cant try this yet so shut up?

It's not. People wanted them to stop when they wouldn't stop talking about Destiny either.

Nothing is stopping you from being lucky chloe in real life man.

Believe yourself.

I've always believed whippy

But VR can make my dreams of being a catgirl come true.

yami4ct

It's more like wanting them to stop talking about the PS4 after they revealed the price after E3 though.

To me, it's more like the 'are game consoles dead?' discussion. Right now, every time they talk about it, it's purely in theory with the exact same anecdotes. It's the same conversation over and over and over and it always goes on for like 20-30 minutes. I don't mind them talking about the concrete news, but being banged over the head with the exact same discussion 30 times is tiring.

Bacon

To me, it's more like the 'are game consoles dead?' discussion. Right now, every time they talk about it, it's purely in theory with the exact same anecdotes. It's the same conversation over and over and over and it always goes on for like 20-30 minutes. I don't mind them talking about the concrete news, but being banged over the head with the exact same discussion 30 times is tiring.

How relevant is e3 these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom