• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, i finished watching the latest kerbal like at 6:30 in the morning in a daze and i didn't recognize the second person who appears in the preview. Anyone know who that is?

I skipped like 50 mins of the last Project Beast because they were orbiting Kerbal not doing anything.

that's funny, it was that time that i finally felt i had a sense for how the space math worked in Kerbal so that if i decided to pick the game up now i would have some of the fundamentals down.

But i can see if one already has that experience how that chunk of time could be a bit boring and/or frustrating.

mhanna49

Neo Member
Drew did far better during the Sahelanthropus fight than I expected. I know this has already been talked about to death but I thought MGSV retained the same kind of crazy bullshit story as the other Metal Gear games and I liked how it didn't force feed it to you through codecs and hour long cutscenes. I personally enjoyed the tapes and the dumb "twist" at the real end of the game. It worked for me because I wanted to see how far the game would keep going and loved the gameplay. I understand why Drew is frustrated by the game, though.

that's funny, it was that time that i finally felt i had a sense for how the space math worked in Kerbal so that if i decided to pick the game up now i would have some of the fundamentals down.

But i can see if one already has that experience how that chunk of time could be a bit boring and/or frustrating.

it was kind of another silly example of them making things much more complicated than they actually are. though given their track record, I can at least understand the caution

actually the only thing that I was worried about watching it was that they were at such a shallow angle (and thus spending an unusual amount of time plowing through atmospheric friction) that they'd burn off their parachute, but the heat shield did its job

Jintor

I recently pushed a spacecraft back into kerbin reentry with Eva suits, so it wasn't too bad to throw on in the background while I shot some aliens

GavinGT

Banned
Aerobraking is a very useful thing, especially for missions to Venus. I'm glad they figured it out, but man it was excruciating watching them orbit 15 times.

LiK

I wish we got an early Bombcast. I'm almost done with XCOM 2 and I need to listen to a discussion about it.

Xiraiya

Listening to a GBcast GOTY discussion from 2010, hearing Brad trying his darndest to argue against Vinny that the Bioshock 2 DLC was better than Mass Effect Shadow Broker, amazing to listen to.

His whole argument being broken down to "Well if you ignore everything that is bad about playing Bioshock 2 and don't play through the base game, this is amazing." (Honestly even though Jeff called that out I wish someone shut that down sooner)
A lot of his arguments always seem to be about blatantly ignoring the flaws of the thing he likes while simultaneously belittling the the actually good parts of the thing he's arguing against. That would be one thing if he wasn't so blatant about it and had some semblance of subtly

Vinny held his ground, came across calm and cool and basically explained his points thoroughly, you want to agree with him based on his attitude alone, nevermind that he was right.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Listening to a GBcast GOTY discussion from 2010, hearing Brad trying his darndest to argue against Vinny that the Bioshock 2 DLC was better than Mass Effect Shadow Broker, amazing to listen to.

His whole argument being broken down to "Well if you ignore everything that is bad about playing Bioshock 2 and don't play through the base game, this is amazing." (Honestly even though Jeff called that out I wish someone shut that down sooner)
A lot of his arguments always seem to be about blatantly ignoring the flaws of the thing he likes while simultaneously belittling the the actually good parts of the thing he's arguing against. That would be one thing if he wasn't so blatant about it and had some semblance of subtly

Vinny held his ground, came across calm and cool and basically explained his points thoroughly, you want to agree with him based on his attitude alone, nevermind that he was right.

Brad is not good at debating (he just is very stubborn) but he was dead on. Minerva's Den was and is miles better than Shadow Broker.His argument was shite though.

that argument was fucking insufferable to listen to because IIRC neither person had played the DLC the other person was arguing for so they couldn't actually properly debate the faults of the other person's choice.

Thankfully, it appears they got better over the years wrt trying to make sure the staff has at least had some direct exposure to games that will be heavily discussed.

TraBuch

Banned
I was about to say the right one didn't win it because Old World Blues didn't win it, but that was 2011 so never mind.

Old World Blues is great, though.

I thought Brad had played Shadow Broker. Am I misremembering? Regardless, the correct one won.

He did. And he was right in holding his ground. His arguments were also better. People just don't like how he gets away with most arguments, so they rationalize. I'm sure some are still bitter about him having Skyrim win over Saints Row.

I thought Brad had played Shadow Broker. Am I misremembering? Regardless, the correct one won.

He did. And he was right in holding his ground. His arguments were also better. People just don't like how he gets away with most arguments, so they rationalize. I'm sure some are still bitter about him having Skyrim win over Saints Row.

ah, i must've misremembered that argument or confused it with another then.

but my latter observation still stands, some of the arguments they had were between folks who hadn't experienced the other's game in question and it was hard to listen to. They've gotten much better about that stuff in the last few years.

killroy87

This, along with Uncharted 2 winning over Arkham Asylum, is a fuck up that Jeff loves to throw in Brad's face.

Shadow Broker was an amazing piece of DLC. That boss fight was really intense, if a little straightforward, and all the little lore details that came out after (the dossiers) were fun.

Minerva's Den must've been a hell of a DLC.

All right I haven't watched any of the Kerbal stuff but I'm interested. Do I really need to start at episode 1? Or where can I start to get the gist of it and then continue on?

All right I haven't watched any of the Kerbal stuff but I'm interested. Do I really need to start at episode 1? Or where can I start to get the gist of it and then continue on?

Watching the process of their development as space controllers is really a sight to behold. I think you'd do a disservice to yourself if you didn't watch it all.

Brashnir

Even starting at episode 1 is missing a bunch of good dumb Vinny Kerbal stuff from other shows, but I'd recommend starting at episode 1.

Shadow Broker leaned pretty heavily into how much of a ME lore fan you were. Minerva's Den could pretty much be experienced as your only piece of Bioshock content ever and you'll have missed nothing for it.

On that basis alone, i'd give it to Minerva's Den. I liked both DLCs but I really wished that Minerva's Den had come out as a stand alone DLC instead of being tied to the meh that was Bioshock 2. It's damn good and easily could've been it's own thing

popo

Not telling anyone how to do their jobs but why put up three pieces of content yesterday and have nothing new on the site today, except the podcast which drops late in the day? If I were playing Video Game Site Tycoon I would schedule so there was at least something new to bring people to the site every day. Actually, if that game existed I would probably cheese it and pick IGN at the start, the Royal of money making game sites.

Actually, I am off the Kickstarter with Video Game Site Tycoon (VGST). Nobody steal that idea.

Shadow Broken leaned pretty heavily into how much of a ME lore fan you were. Minerva's Den could pretty much be experienced as your only piece of Bioshock content ever and you'll have missed nothing for it.

On that basis alone, i'd give it to Minerva's Den. I liked both DLCs but I really wished that Minerva's Den had come out as a stand alone DLC instead of being tied to the meh that was Bioshock 2. It's damn good and easily could've been it's own thing

Not only could it have been its own thing, it should have been one of many "Tales from Rapture" style short stories in the world.

Megasoum

Banned
I could never play Minerva's Den back in the days because there was a weird audio bug where multiple sounds would all play together over each other.

That was like 3-4 PCs ago though... I should probably give it another try at some point even if Brad already spoiled me the ending on the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom