• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

This is far too sanitised to possess the TrackMania name.

An asshole thing to do is still an asshole thing to do even if you're lucky and avoid the consequences.

Dude, it's fine. Drake's having fun with it and isn't actually mad, you shouldn't be either.

i mean, i don't know what was going on at harmonix at the time but it seems illogical to me that there was ever a serious chance of a firing. like, no harmonix employee actually did anything wrong in that whole affair (or anything, period), it was entirely on dan and his friend. what would even be the reasoning for the layoff?

Of course there wasn't. But...gaf.

yami4ct

Dude, it's fine. Drake's having fun with it and isn't actually mad, you shouldn't be either.

I'm not mad. I'm just saying Dan was being a real jerk and he got real lucky and avoided the consequences. I'm just responding to people who think people who don't find it funny are taking things too seriously.

i mean, i don't know what was going on at harmonix at the time but it seems illogical to me that there was ever a serious chance of a firing. like, no harmonix employee actually did anything wrong in that whole affair (or anything, period), it was entirely on dan and his friend. what would even be the reasoning for the layoff?

Drake even said the same thing.

I assume Kotaku will be one of the blogs that lands on its feet somehow. Either Gawker makes it out somehow, sells them or they get shuttered and someone creates a new blog from the ashes. Must be horrible with the uncertainty, though. I feel for those people screwed by this. Hopefully their next employer aren's human piles of garbage.

I agree that Kotaku and even Deadspin will be alright. Patrick/Kotaku just had a giant scoop today and almost every day they have articles with 100k+ hits.

jesus, don't look at the replies to this tweet. Some people are real dicks.

These are definitely the GG people that have hated Patrick since Giant Bomb and the Nintendo localization column reignited their hate.

Didn't Patrick leave GB so he could focus more on written content and less on solo video content? Him having to circle back around to doing solo video content on YouTube due to Gawker's collapse would be unfortunate.

louiedog

so much vaping today

JupuXli.gif

yami4ct

I agree that Kotaku and even Deadspin will be alright. Patrick/Kotaku just had a giant scoop today and almost every day they have articles with 100k+ hits.

These are definitely the GG people that have hated Patrick since Giant Bomb and the Nintendo localization column reignited their hate.

GG people and people with a general grudge against Kotaku in general. Lots of celebrating a potential Kotaku closure in those other threads. It's kinda weird.

GG people and people with a general grudge against Kotaku in general. Lots of celebrating a potential Kotaku closure in those other threads. It's kinda weird.

Gawker is a terrible company, all in.

The internet will be a better place without it.

I can live with the loss of news about Destiny and Assassin's Creed.

yami4ct

Gawker is a terrible company, all in.

The internet will be a better place without it.

I can live with the loss of news about Destiny and Assassin's Creed.

Gawker are shitheels, but Kotaku has some great people that do amazing work aside from leaking the occasional AC story. It's fine if you don't read them, but celebrating talented writers potentially losing their jobs is kinda fucked up.

Celebrating the fuckheads at Gawker getting what's probably coming to them? That's fine. Celebrating a potential Kotaku closure, a site completely unrelated to this case? That's kinda weird.

Gawker are shitheels, but Kotaku has some great people that do amazing work aside from leaking the occasional AC story. It's fine if you don't read them, but celebrating talented writers potentially losing their jobs is kinda fucked up.

I am celebrating the potential closure of Gawker.

Harassment is not OK though.

omgkitty

Patrick leaves Giant Bomb and joins Kotaku. Dan Ryckert joins Giant Bomb and gets into a feud with Patrick over Mario Maker. Dan makes Patrick attend a wrestling event and within weeks Patrick's position is put in danger because of Hulk Hogan. DAN RYCKERT STRIKES AGAIN.

LiK

Patrick leaves Giant Bomb and joins Kotaku. Dan Ryckert joins Giant Bomb and gets into a feud with Patrick over Mario Maker. Dan makes Patrick attend a wrestling event and within weeks Patrick's position is put in danger because of Hulk Hogan. DAN RYCKERT STRIKES AGAIN.

somehow wrestling destroyed gaming.

I'm talking about the people that are specifically pointing out the closure of Kotaku as a positive, and there's a lot of those. If you just are talking the shiftiness that is Gawker as a whole, that's a different thing.

It could be if the great journalists there find better jobs with less shitty companies. People losing jobs is never fun though. The game industry is volatile and harsh enough as is.

yami4ct

Dan Ryckert: Trying to get people fired since 2008.

I love you Dan. Before people come in with the 'too serious comments' this is obviously a joke

justjim89

So I can't watch UPF until tomorrow, but Jesus what did Dan do?

Dan was a troll in a message board obsessed with some rock band's new album.

Dan gets E3 credentials.

Rockband 2 is going to have songs from the new album.

Dan gets his friend to pretend to be Harmonix PR outside their actual booth and talks to him "off the record" secretly recording him, and he says they learned that the new album is going to be four albums.

Dan posts video.

Video blows up, music news sites grab the story, Harmonix is made to look like idiots.

Harmonix loses some face with the band they were still negotiating with, potentially losing future content from them.

FluxWaveZ

Looking at those Patrick Klepek tweet replies... I thought people were saying here that he was apparently being treated better by fans after he left Giant Bomb? That certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

aside from the dan story, pretty underwhelming UPF

It made for a very good audio podcast as I was looking up vaping tools in another tab (or actually doing work). But the only memorable visual thing that occurred was Brad buying something in his Clash game, and that was only for the live reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom