• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at those Patrick Klepek tweet replies... I thought people were saying here that he was apparently being treated better by fans after he left Giant Bomb? That certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

He has a bunch of GGers on his case constantly.

FWIW I think Patrick was stupid to post that tweet. Not as stupid as the rejects in the replies right enough, but still pretty stupid.

Dan was a troll in a message board obsessed with some rock band's new album.

Dan gets E3 credentials.

Rockband 2 is going to have songs from the new album.

Dan gets his friend to pretend to be Harmonix PR outside their actual booth and talks to him "off the record" secretly recording him, and he says they learned that the new album is going to be four albums.

Dan posts video.

Video blows up, music news sites grab the story, Harmonix is made to look like idiots.

Harmonix loses some face with the band they were still negotiating with, potentially losing future content from them.
God created dinosaurs.

God destroyed dinosaurs.

God created Dan.

Dan destroyed God.

Dan created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat Dan...Klepek inherits the earth.

Kotaku has improved quite a bit with this editorial team. Hope they can spin-off or something. Hard to say what happens now, but they sure as shit don't have millions of dollars lying around.

yami4ct

Looking at those Patrick Klepek tweet replies... I thought people were saying here that he was apparently being treated better by fans after he left Giant Bomb? That certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

GG people have latched back onto him fairly recently.

It could be if the great journalists there find better jobs with less shitty companies. People losing jobs is never fun though. The game industry is volatile and harsh enough as is.

The writers there recently unionized and seems like they're treated pretty well. The good writers there do good work. I kinda don't see a benefit of them moving to a new place. The damage to the good ones will likely be minimal overall, but it's not a net positive.

Zaph

Gawker is a terrible company, all in.

The internet will be a better place without it.

I can live with the loss of news about Destiny and Assassin's Creed.

Gawker has a few really good sites, and some great writers. It'll be a shame if those go (but they'll probably survive, even if sold).

But I can't blame people for disliking the network. Other shitty publishing conglomerates try to stay invisible on their better publications, but Gawker syndicates like crazy and their growth strategy relies on content intermingling - so it's harder to ignore the scumminess.

Gawker has a few really good sites, and some great writers. It'll be a shame if those go (but they'll probably survive, even if sold).

But I can't blame people for disliking the network. Other shitty publishing conglomerates try to stay invisible on their better publications, but Gawker syndicates like crazy and their growth strategy relies on content intermingling - so it's harder to ignore the scumminess.

If it wasn't this, it'd be something else tomorrow or in a month or in 3 years.

They've overstepped the mark a number of times. It was always going to catch up on them.

Ketch

Dan was a troll in a message board obsessed with some rock band's new album.

Dan gets E3 credentials.

Rockband 2 is going to have songs from the new album.

Dan gets his friend to pretend to be Harmonix PR outside their actual booth and talks to him "off the record" secretly recording him, and he says they learned that the new album is going to be four albums.

Dan posts video.

Video blows up, music news sites grab the story, Harmonix is made to look like idiots.

Harmonix loses some face with the band they were still negotiating with, potentially losing future content from them.

Oh. So that was a fake? Damn. it was really well done.

Well Pokken is as confusing as I anticipated it would be, for someone who doesn't play fighting games, but man is it pretty. Need to add tutorial videos for it and Subnautica to my downloads list tonight.

braves01

Banned
That George Brett video was hilarious. Both the Dan stories were great, when I could hear them over Drake's incessant loud talking.

justjim89

Wait, you don't know GNR?

I'm not the biggest fan, but I thought awareness of them was just a general thing.

I've heard the name before, but I couldn't tell you any of their songs or who was in it. I'm weird, though. I only listen to country/folk/blues sort of stuff.

yami4ct

She's not involved, she took a stance on a specific subject.

I thought people uncovered some other ties between GG people and her or her foundation? At least, I thought they had been involved before.

That story was a mess overall, so it's really hard to find out what actually happened. All according to GG's design I guess.

justjim89

Also, Jim? Now I know who Big E is, and I appreciate your avatar very much.

Don't you dare be sour!

the-new-day-clapping-o.gif

Also, I'd pay money to see Lang and Drake stream some Hitman.

Doop

Honestly, I'm a little surprised GG is still a thing. I thought it would have petered out and they would have moved on at this point.

santeesioux

Honestly, I'm a little surprised GG is still a thing. I thought it would have petered out and they would have moved on at this point.

Is it really though? I only see people on here bringing it up anymore. I'd imagine there's a few diehards left, but meh?

yami4ct

It's a bunch of assholes who feel their hobby is under attack and can 'strike back' anonymously with zero repercussions. Until Twitter improves anti-harassment tools or the legal system actually starts dealing with online harassment, it's here to stay unfortunately.

Strong correlation with the anime avatars...

I will never understand why other people who are into anime/Japanese games can't deal with those things getting criticized. I can admit those problems exist while at the same time enjoying the thing still.

There have always been assholes on the Internet. The only difference now is that they have agendas tied to their bullshit and platforms where they can openly spew their garbage all over a public space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom