• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

The amazing journey that is Kerbal Project Beast is one of the greatest things I have seen in a long time.

Watching the Evolution of both Austin and Alex going from episode 1 being along for a ride while Vinny does the dumb things in a game. To episode 9 with all 3 of them calmly and knowingly discussing Apoapsis and orbital paths and velocity as they all watch nervously keeping track of numbers, it was magical.

AFAIK any game with 360 pad support should work perfectly fine with the XB1 pad. I dont think i've heard of any scenario where it doesn't

Sometimes the wireless XB1 pad can have issues. It was the same with the wireless 360 pad on PC. It works most of the time but now always.

my issue with my wireless 360 pad are few and far between. I think the worst thing that has happened is that the Ghostbusters game crashes if you have the controller on before starting the game. Had to turn it on after loading the game to avoid this issue.

Could just be that the game is being weird with xinput controllers in general

shwimpy

A decent amount of people are having issues with controllers in the PC peformance thread. Sounds like a Unity/Win10 issue?

popo

When did public opinion turn on unity? Seemed like everyone was moving their game to unity and now it is blamed for poor performance, especially on consoles. Will everyone start porting to Amazon Luberkin now?

For me its more that some weeks they have entire week planed out for all to see and sometimes its just UPF listed.

I think they only put it on the schedule if they have it recorded or it is a locked in live show.

I hate complaining because it makes me seem like a whiny bitch - but is one new video a day too much to ask? Even if they had seen the three pieces yesterday - two going up at the same time - and pushed one until today, they would have filled that empty box.

It is all gb obsessives in here but a casual fan wants to know they can go to the site every morning and see something new and shiny. Even if is premium stuff - seeing it available could be what convinces them to sub.

That is one thing they could learn from youtubers. They know if they are not putting out something new on a regular schedule that their fickle audience will move on to the new hotness.

popo

I really don't think that's the case otherwise people would be leaving pretty often.

That was a reference to youtubers - who apart from the really big ones, see their audience shift at the slightest provocation.

I am not sure it is the same for sites like GB but if it did then it would be casual traffic, not subs that suffer. I would be amazed if traffic (in non-e3 weeks) isn't better when they have a full week schedule.

Myggen

When did public opinion turn on unity? Seemed like everyone was moving their game to unity and now it is blamed for poor performance, especially on consoles. Will everyone start porting to Amazon Luberkin now?

I think they only put it on the schedule if they have it recorded or it is a locked in live show.

I hate complaining because it makes me seem like a whiny bitch - but is one new video a day too much to ask? Even if they had seen the three pieces yesterday - two going up at the same time - and pushed one until today, they would have filled that empty box.

It is all gb obsessives in here but a casual fan wants to know they can go to the site every morning and see something new and shiny. Even if is premium stuff - seeing it available could be what convinces them to sub.

That is one thing they could learn from youtubers. They know if they are not putting out something new on a regular schedule that their fickle audience will move on to the new hotness.

The YT thing is just as much how the YT search and sub algorithm works: You don't want to put too much on the channel because then people will skip some of your videos and your channel will become less popular in searches, and you don't want to put out too few videos because the same thing will happen. Youtubers are slaves to that system, along with not making videos too long.

I'm sure if it mattered much to their site they would spread videos out and not just put three on a Monday like this week.

popo

The YT thing is just as much how the YT search and sub algorithm works: You don't want to put too much on the channel because then people will skip some of your videos and your channel will become less popular in searches, and you don't want to put out too few videos because the same thing will happen. Youtubers are slaves to that system, along with not making videos too long.

I am sure it gets very complicated. A bit like the old days of Search Engine Optimization. I would not envy the small to medium size youtuber. They have to work hard to keep viewer's attention.

tchocky

That was a reference to youtubers - who apart from the really big ones, see their audience shift at the slightest provocation.

I am not sure it is the same for sites like GB but if it did then it would be casual traffic, not subs that suffer. I would be amazed if traffic (in non-e3 weeks) isn't better when they have a full week schedule.

I really don't follow the Youtube scene outside of various fighting game channels and the Super Best Friends, but is that really something that happens? I assume people follow channels for the personalities, so I didn't think a lack of content would really cause any kind of massive shift.

As for GB, obviously more videos = more traffic, but I don't think not having a video/article every single day amounts to a lack of content. There's much more stuff dropping now than during the move a few months ago, which pretty much coincides with the normal amount of content we usually get.

Still doesn't make me interested in Star Trek besides this show. Thanks for the link :)

Well, yeah that's kind of what I mean. Bryan Fuller isn't going to make me watch the old stuff, but I'm now on board for this new show that wasn't even a thought before hand.

Interesting. Guess I'll tune into that and give it a shot. I wasn't terribly impressed with Enterprise or the latest movies but maybe a new series can pull it off with some careful direction.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Austin Walker is quickly proving to be one of the best things to happen to GB. GiantBomb is sort of uniquely (or at least unusually) positioned as existing between the old guard of traditional press where most of its staff have their background and the new direction of video game media, there's a real chance to bring the sort of perspectives we get on the podcasts out into the general content more, and this guest program sounds like a great start to that

Apparently review copies of SFV just went out. Don't know if we're gonna get a review, but i can't wait to see some coverage of it next week!

Renpatsu

Austin Walker is quickly proving to be one of the best things to happen to GB. GiantBomb is sort of uniquely (or at least unusually positioned) as existing between the old guard of traditional press where most of its staff have their background and the new direction of video game media, there's a real chance to bring the sort of perspectives we get on the podcasts out into the general content more, and this guest program sounds like a great start to that
Honestly wasn't expecting the guest contributor feature to be so frequent (especially in light of how long it's been in the works), but I'm pleasantly surprised with the turnaround and how it helps plug some gaps in the general opinions of the GB mainstays.

I just finished watching last week's UPF. It was bad. I can't believe they fell so low as to play some youtube fodder game for almost an hour. And then they went back to Mount Your Friends.

They should play OpenRA.

jaina

Honestly wasn't expecting the guest contributor feature to be so frequent (especially in light of how long it's been in the works), but I'm pleasantly surprised with the turnaround and how it helps plug some gaps in the general opinions of the GB mainstays.
Austin wrote in some comments or on twitter that his goal is two guest articles per week and the budget allows that.

Myggen

Austin said on Twitter that he's aiming for 1-2 columns a week, that he's not just putting a lot of articles out now at the start. So that's good.

killroy87

Haha, I enjoy the UPFs as background noise, but they do return to certain titles more often than they should, and some of the new games they do try are...odd choices.

But it's their show, they can do as they please!

Dineren

Banned
Is it only wireless xbox one controllers that have the issue? I guess I can just plug mine in while I play even if it is a bit annoying.

I'm surprised to hear this is a common issue in unity on windows 10. I've played a lot of games and haven't had any issues and I'm pretty sure there have been plenty of unity games among them.

popo

Bryan Fuller on Star Trek sounds like and odd fit. I am certainly willing to give it a go though. What with it being a streaming exclusive I thought they might be sending it out to die, having a named show runner restores some confidence.

As for GB, obviously more videos = more traffic, but I don't think not having a video/article every single day amounts to a lack of content. There's much more stuff dropping now than during the move a few months ago, which pretty much coincides with the normal amount of content we usually get.

I didn't say they were not making enough content. Just arguing that they could space it out better and not have dead days. Sure we all would like more but I understand they are time limited.

I am wondering if they should cut back on reviews even more though. Brad was a whole week on Witness and Dan seems to have been as long on xcom. Not as if an xcom review this late is going to be a massive traffic driver. I think they would have been better just doing a regular QL on day of release and leaving at that.

Apparently review copies of SFV just went out. Don't know if we're gonna get a review, but i can't wait to see some coverage of it next week!

Only Jason (not a writer) and Jeff (out at the moment) really have the fighting game bug.

Looking forward to plenty of Salty Jason vs Button-Masher Dan bouts though.

Megasoum

Banned
I should really buy the Bad Boys 1 and 2 combo bluray pack.

I think I've only seen Bad Boys 1 once a very long time ago. Don't remember anything about it but I fucking love Bad Boys 2.

Which one is it that Martin Lawrence has to pretend to be Will Smith's character because a potential witness thinks that he is the other guy?

gotta love the fantastically intricate plots of these films

Which one is it that Martin Lawrence has to pretend to be Will Smith's character because a potential witness thinks that he is the other guy?

gotta love the fantastically intricate plots of these films

This is the first one.

Also of note the second one has Peter Stoooorrrrmata(after the beastcast episode I can pronounce this name no other way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom