• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they keep playing Phantasmagoria for as long as it takes to finish it. I'm starting to love this playthrough almost as much as the Vinny & Dave playthrough of the original game years ago.

repeater

Put me down as someone who's in favour of more flesh puzzling, I wanna see if they can get any overt reaction whatsoever out of that psychologist.

Also, I'm really enjoying this Bombcast in spite (or because?) of its relative brevity. Everyone seems really relaxed, Dan and Drew are much more involved throughout the whole podcast than on a typical Jeffcast, and... that Matthew Rorie can really talk. :)

More of this horrible game? Lord take me, I can't handle another episode.

2822766-coolguys.gif

Speaking of podcasts, I just accidentally caught up on Austin's Friends At The Table podcast, and I have never felt more lost/adrift. I'd been listening all day, and when the last episode ended and did not immediately lead into a new one, I was in stunned disbelief.

His podcast is so damn good, guys. I honestly believe that I've gotten awesome chills from just his show more than everything else in my life combined.

Remember in the P4 endurance run when stuff started going south for innocent characters (hospital, etc) and it was the most affecting and worrying thing ever? That's Austin's podcast like, 3 times an episode.

Austin and his players are 100% committed to telling the coolest, funniest, most dramatic show possible, even if it means letting bad things happen to their characters. The worlds he's built (especially in S2) have me daydreaming about movies and games and novels set in them, because there are so many incredible characters that are so well realized, even one-off guys have names, backstories, voices and personalities. Just today I got way invested in a paper pusher overseeing the paperwork for ships leaving a planet. Basically a TSA guy.

@austin_walker said:
Yup! Nearly all of the guest writers we're bringing on will be sticking around and appearing at least once every month or two. For some, they'll write on disparate (or at least, distinct) topics, but for others, they'll be able to slowly build an increasingly detailed or nuanced argument. This is part of the great thing about the Giant Bomb community: We really are a community, and it's a community with (pardon the rhyme) continuity. That means that when Ian returns sometime in March to write more, that new article will be able to build on some of the ideas presented here, confident in the knowledge that the reader will have already seen this piece (or at least be interested enough to dig it up!)

Saw this comment from Austin on the latest guest article and figured it was worth posting here.

LiK

I've tried getting into Friends At The Table a few times, but just haven't been able to. Maybe just not for me.

is it tabletop related? i can't stand any of that stuff no matter how much i love the people playing them. i can't even watch the GB ones without getting bored.

Speaking of podcasts, I just accidentally caught up on Austin's Friends At The Table podcast, and I have never felt more lost/adrift. I'd been listening all day, and when the last episode ended and did not immediately lead into a new one, I was in stunned disbelief.

His podcast is so damn good, guys. I honestly believe that I've gotten awesome chills from just his show more than everything else in my life combined.

Remember in the P4 endurance run when stuff started going south for innocent characters (hospital, etc) and it was the most affecting and worrying thing ever? That's Austin's podcast like, 3 times an episode.

Austin and his players are 100% committed to telling the coolest, funniest, most dramatic show possible, even if it means letting bad things happen to their characters. The worlds he's built (especially in S2) have me daydreaming about movies and games and novels set in them, because there are so many incredible characters that are so well realized, even one-off guys have names, backstories, voices and personalities. Just today I got way invested in a paper pusher overseeing the paperwork for ships leaving a planet. Basically a TSA guy.

Was looking for a new D&D podcast to fill the void of having to wait two weeks for Adventure Zone. Thanks for reminding me of this.

I've tried getting into Friends At The Table a few times, but just haven't been able to. Maybe just not for me.

As much as I adore it, I don't blame anyone who isn't really feeling it. Both seasons so far have improved vastly as they've gone on, because they build on the worlds and characters that they have been developing while they go. Audio quality is also a mess in early S1. Couple of the players in S1 are much less timid in S2, as well.

My only suggestion would be to give season 2 (counter-weight) a shot, since it's a new setting and new characters, but if you've already done that and it didn't click, that's fair.

is it tabletop related? i can't stand any of that stuff no matter how much i love the people playing them. i can't even watch the GB ones without getting bored.

Yeah, you probably won't like this. It doesn't use a board or any figures or rules on HP and magic spell slots or any of that, but it is using a dice system to determine if players actions succeed or not. They use virtual dice, but it's still got heavy roots in that stuff.

Teddified

Count me in as someone who likes Friends at the Table. I'm still like 7 eps. behind on it because I don't really have a podcast game right now but I can't wait to continue it.

I also really like the Burning Wheel that Austin does with Roll 20, it's pretty great imo.

Was looking for a new D&D podcast to fill the void of having to wait two weeks for Adventure Zone. Thanks for reminding me of this.

For the sake of setting expectations, just know that the early episodes involve some rough and low quality audio, players getting used to the system, and a couple of players getting used to roleplay in general. One of the first episodes has some struggles with a boat that becomes an inside joke later in the show because they handled it so poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom