• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

re: guest columns.

Sounds like just going through pitch submissions for guests writers is a full time job. I am not sure he would have the time to commission two or three new writers a week, every week. If he builds up a stable of a dozen go-to writers for now it would make his life a lot more manageable.

For the sake of setting expectations, just know that the early episodes involve some rough and low quality audio, players getting used to the system, and a couple of players getting used to roleplay in general. One of the first episodes has some struggles with a boat that becomes an inside joke later in the show because they handled it so poorly.

I'm a pretty patient person when it comes to podcasts and won't drop something just because the first few episodes are kinda rough. Most early D&D episodes are rough just because of the nature of the game. Adventure Zone took a bit of time itself just to get going.

Mr. F

Banned
I want to like Friends at the Table but every time I give it a shot it's just...boring and aimless, to say the least. I like Austin a lot but his narration/exposition gets a bit up its own ass. If it maintained the pace of something like The Adventure Zone and played a bit more fast and loosely for the sake of it being a podcast then I think I'd like it a lot more.

Myggen

Sounds like just going through pitch submissions for guests writers is a full time job. I am not sure he would have the time to commission two or three new writers a week, every week.

There's also something to be said of article series, which you can only do with a writer coming back a few times.

Sounds like just going through pitch submissions for guests writers is a full time job. I am not sure he would have the time to commission two or three new writers a week, every week.
Yeah I hope the workload lightens up for Austin once this is off the ground cause it sounds like a hell of a lot of effort! Good on him for getting it started though.

Whenever I design a site I need to develop for work, I always want to have a similar architecture to the one described in that wiki update post but never have the opportunity to spend the time to build the web api layer, so I always just fall back to the data access->business logic->presentation layer architecture. I end up with reusable .dlls that I can reference in other projects if necessary but actually exposing a web api would make integrations into other system, especially on different platforms, so much easier and everything would be easier to maintain and deploy.

I'm a pretty patient person when it comes to podcasts and won't drop something just because the first few episodes are kinda rough. Most early D&D episodes are rough just because of the nature of the game. Adventure Zone took a bit of time itself just to get going.

Nice. To set you up a bit on this, here's the gist of the system they use:

-DM never makes a roll, he just narrates what happens overall, and when players roll
-Players roll 2D6 plus a bonus, and outcomes fall into 3 categories:

1-6: Failed. Something bad happens.
7-9: A good thing happens, but at a cost.
10+: The good thing happens at no cost.

So a player might try to hack into a security camera system. On a 4, they fail the hack and set off an alarm. On an 8 they shut off the cameras, but maybe a nearby guard notices them because it took just a little too long. On a 12, nailed it, no repercussions. An 8 on a bribe check might mean they'll take it, but want a little extra cash. Consequences are usually determined by Austin.

There are some episodes where they make characters or generate the world that exist on friendsatthetable.net, but not in the podcast feed.

Nice. To set you up a bit on this, here's the gist of the system they use:

-DM never makes a roll, he just narrates what happens overall, and when players roll
-Players roll 2D6 plus a bonus, and outcomes fall into 3 categories:

1-6: Failed. Something bad happens.
7-9: A good thing happens, but at a cost.
10+: The good thing happens at no cost.

So a player might try to hack into a security camera system. On a 4, they fail the hack and set off an alarm. On an 8 they shut off the cameras, but a nearby guard notices them because it took just a little too long. On a 12, nailed it, no repercussions. An 8 on a bribe check might mean they'll take it, but want a little extra cash.

There are some episodes where they make characters or generate the world that exist on friendsatthetable.net, but not in the podcast feed.

Thanks for this. The dice roll format sounds really interesting and knowing Austin it'll involve some form of mecha/space at some point.

justjim89

Some of the nicknames generated in XCOM are pretty great.

In my playthrough:
Drew (Sniper) is The Cleaner
Jeff (Grenadier) is Moose
Dan (Grenadier) is Tiny

Just off the top of my head.

Thanks for this. The dice roll format sounds really interesting and knowing Austin it'll involve some form of mecha/space at some point.

Season 2 is all about that stuff, yup. S1 is fantasy, with a few twists here and there. They plan to alternate between fantasy and mecha seasons, as far as I know.

Jintor

I want to like Friends at the Table but every time I give it a shot it's just...boring and aimless, to say the least. I like Austin a lot but his narration/exposition gets a bit up its own ass. If it maintained the pace of something like The Adventure Zone and played a bit more fast and loosely for the sake of it being a podcast then I think I'd like it a lot more.

Yeah I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the pre-game bits where he does some narration cos it only really hits 1/5 of the time. And that Christmas game was intolerably hard to follow.

The recent arc is really fun though. Some bizarre shit is happening and it's really entertaining to follow. Mako/Larry shennanigans are really nuts

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Shoshone national park is real actually.

I'm wondering if some park ranger is right now worried because Dan called in about a missing hitchhiker.

Tubobutts

In my playthrough:
Dan (Grenadier) is Tiny

Hey man, I'm pretty sure Dan is perfectly average. There was a thread named after it and everything.

pizzacat

Banned
Shoshone national park is real actually.

I'm wondering if some park ranger is right now worried because Dan called in about a missing hitchhiker.
PJfYA45.jpg

Dan probably created a monster without knowing

In my playthrough:
Dan (Grenadier) is Tiny

My favorite in my game is a female ranger nicknamed Monster whose face is scarred to hell from a vicious Muton counterattack. Probably random and unrelated to her fucked up face, but it fits. I also have a fully-levelled pistol-specced sharpshooter named The Kid.

I just left off at the final mission. 29 enemies? Gonna need a big chunk of time for that.

a while ago and it's fucking bullshit

Well I'm not sure how I feel about it. I wasn't a huge fan of lime, it was the first ones I ate because they were my least favorite but I think I might still like the lime more than the apple. It's been a while apparently but my Skittles routine has alway been green -> yellow -> red -> purple and then my absolute favorite orange.

Tubobutts

Well I'm not sure how I feel about it. I wasn't a huge fan of lime, it was the first ones I ate because they were my least favorite but I think I might still like the lime more than the apple. It's been a while apparently but my Skittles routine has alway been green -> yellow -> red -> purple and then my absolute favorite orange.

I just grab a handful and shove them all in my mouth at once.

By the way, not to plug too much, but the GB/GAF Dungeon World game inspired mainly by me listening to a lot of FatT is going pretty good
Sounds like a dork thing for dorks.

Meneses

So, I finally played Undertale.

I was going for a
pacifist run
. I don't know if this is considered a spoiler, but I don't want to rustle any jimmies.

The good thing first: the soundtrack is indeed fantastic. It only really kicked in for me when I heard "Another Medium", but after that everything kinda clicked, music-wise.

Overall, I feel that the game was a victim of overhype, I went in expecting too much and was a bit disappointed.

For the vast majority of the playthrough I though it was just alright, some neat touches, a couple chuckles here and there. I was feeling pretty "meh" about it, hence why I took so long to actually finish it.

HOWEVER, after finishing it
and realizing there was a True Ending, I went back to do it and oh boy did that stuff really hit me. That run up to the final fight with Asriel was great. I think someone must have been cutting some onions behind me on that last battle.

So, all things considered, it was a neat game.

I feel bad about it because even though lime was scrub tier, at least you could just upend a bag of that garbage into your stupid scumbag face and it would taste like some indescribable bullshit fruit blur. now if you do that it just tastes like 70% shitty apple. everytime i find myself with a bag of skittles, 1/5th of it just goes directly in the trash now.

Bowlie

Banned
HOWEVER, after finishing it
and realizing there was a True Ending, I went back to do it and oh boy did that stuff really hit me. That run up to the final fight with Asriel was great. I think someone must have been cutting some onions behind me on that last battle.

So, all things considered, it was a neat game.

Yes, not that I disliked it before but Undertale only grabbed me during that sequence. I almost cried too, that song is powerful.
I ain't brave to do the opposite and hurt those characters; I'm fine not seeing 100% of the game.

---

when is Rorie not incredible?

TraBuch

Banned
Yes, not that I disliked it before but Undertale only grabbed me during that sequence. I almost cried too, that song is powerful.
I ain't brave to do the opposite and hurt those characters; I'm fine not seeing 100% of the game.

---

when is Rorie not incredible?
When he's DMing.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
re: guest columns.

Sounds like just going through pitch submissions for guests writers is a full time job. I am not sure he would have the time to commission two or three new writers a week, every week. If he builds up a stable of a dozen go-to writers for now it would make his life a lot more manageable.

Heya, yeah it sort of has been my main job for the last couple of weeks! We've had something like 200 pitches, and I'm in the process of cutting those down to a couple dozen for further editorial consideration as we speak.

In the end, my hope is to have both around 10-12 regular contributors who you'll see once every month or six weeks or so, and who will be able to build a rapport with the community and dig into bigger, recurring topics. We'll hopefully also be able to have occasional one-off posts when they're really fantastic.

A lot of this is (as you can all imagine) still very much in development, and things could change dramatically depending on how things go, so don't hold me to anything, but this is at the very least the direction I'm aiming in!

BearPawB

Banned
Heya, yeah it sort of has been my main job for the last couple of weeks! We've had something like 200 pitches, and I'm in the process of cutting those down to a couple dozen for further editorial consideration as we speak.

In the end, my hope is to have both around 10-12 regular contributors who you'll see once every month or six weeks or so, and who will be able to build a rapport with the community and dig into bigger, recurring topics. We'll hopefully also be able to have occasional one-off posts when they're really fantastic.

A lot of this is (as you can all imagine) still very much in development, and things could change dramatically depending on how things go, so don't hold me to anything, but this is at the very least the direction I'm aiming in!

Just want to say I think it is awesome to get some writing on the site more regularly.
Us fans obviously love videos.
But sometimes, a real interesting article is just what I need

We'll hold you to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom