• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
DLC standalone story for Bioshock 2 led by Steve Gaynor who then went on to create Gone Home. Also the piece of content that Brad fought tooth and nail for, willing to sacrifice friendships over, to make sure it got DLC of the year over ME2's Lair of the Shadowbroker.
I never played Bioshock 2 since the first one was so bad. What makes that one so special? I want a huge Gone Home fan either.

omgkitty

I never played Bioshock 2 since the first one was so bad. What makes that one so special? I want a huge Gone Home fan either.

giphy.gif

wonder if the bioshock games came out today if they would even have combat given the proliferation of "walking simulators."
ugh, hate that term

the best parts of Infinite were the parts in the beginning where the combat was either nonexistent or barely there and you got to explore that beautiful world without needing to scavenge for hot dogs in garbage cans

also, any spoilers in the Campo Santo interview that Austin did?

Bowlie

Banned
I tried the first Bioshock three, four times and never got further than the first Little Sister. I wish I had played it at its time.

As someone who wasnt super hot on the first Bioshock either but enjoyed 2, what didnt you like about 1
The gameplay was absolutely terrible. The story had a good twist, but it didn't make up for the poor death mechanics, the boring powers, and there annoying fights. The hacking was decent but needed more variety. Bioshock Infinite was much better, though I wouldn't call it a great game.
Edit: For reference, I played the original when it first came out but I played Infinite a couple years after release.

omgkitty

The gameplay was absolutely terrible. The story had a good twist, but it didn't make up for the poor death mechanics, the boring powers, and there annoying fights. The hacking was decent but needed more variety. Bioshock Infinite was much better, though I wouldn't call it a great game.
Edit: For reference, I played the original when it first came out but I played Infinite a couple years after release.

You're like this friend I have that hates the Uncharted games but has bought and played every one of them.

Apply that logic to the series as a whole and the games get worse as they go along.

Which they actually do.

Yeah, at the time I really liked Infinite, but now thinking back on it I struggle to point out anything I actually liked about it specifically. With the first one I came to it late, I knew the twist and was mostly interested in the world and environment. After playing it for a while the shooting and mechanics felt horrible for me and it mostly felt like going room to room waiting for people to show up to shoot. I wasn't getting much of the world feel and finally the mechanics got annoying enough to give up on. With Infinite I think I was able to be more caught up with the world and mystery coming at it at launch. I can't really say what it did better for me than 1 but maybe the precursor area of getting a feeling for the world more and setting up the mystery aspect a lot better.

You're like this friend I have that hates the Uncharted games but has bought and played every one of them.

Do we know each other?

Though I bought and came to them late, but hated my every minute I played them. Actually I bought 3 and still never played it.

Part of bioshock's charm was how its at-the-time cutting edge visuals helped to immerse you in its fantastical environment.

If you go back to the first couple of games now then, yeah, those games are pretty rough compared to the near decade of tech that has come after. What you're left with is a clunky FPS that leaned heavily into a presentation that isn't holding up well and a story that was a bit uneven even back at launch

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sceptical about this recent MS push for PC games, I still think they'll all be Windows store exclusive. Pretty sure it's already confirmed for Killer Instinct. They even got free anime there now. It's digital hell!

LiK

it wasn't terribly interesting to play but it had a decent narrative thread. it seemed like a step down from System Shock 1/2

I guess it looked pretty good for the time

I found SS series to be pretty unplayable especially compared to the BioShock games. but I guess we're on different teams with these series.

Scizzy

For me, the most shocking thing about the RorieCast is that he's a perfect replacement for Jeff. Sweeping generalizations about entire genres, peculiar habits in his daily life, idiosyncratic opinions about individual games that don't seem to make any sense - nothing that Rorie said would have sounded strange coming out of Jeff's mouth, even his admission about Dark Showers.

What makes it perfect is that Jeff is so authoritative when he makes a weird pronouncement while Rorie follows everything he says with an apology. The affect is totally different.

I got Infinite for free. I don't think I'd ever buy an Uncharted game after how much I disliked TLOU.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk when I ask, but those were some of the highest regarded games of last gen... Just curious what your favorite games from last gen were? Honestly just interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom