• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

I really liked Bioshock Infinite on PS3, so started playing Bioshock on PC last year.

I'm still right in the middle of it. Don't enjoy the combat, I think first person anything is hard for me to enjoy nowadays (had the same experience with the first 2 hours of Dishonored last month). I'm playing it on easy so it does not annoy me.
The atmosphere is good, but usually I'm not a fan of horror games or creepy atmospheres. The story does not grab me at all. I sort of know the Andrew Ryan twist but I'm very sure that's not why I don't care for what's happening.
My last play session, two weeks ago, I had audio issues and played through the rose in Arcadia part without sound. Which obviously does not help the game at all.

My main interests are looting as much as possible (and the exploration because of this) and the hacking minigame (unless it's impossible RNG).
My plan is to give it another hour (with working sound) and if that does not convince me I'll listen to all audio logs on youtube and read a plot summary. After that I'll give Minerva's Den a chance.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone knows that Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock 1.
See, that's the one I didn't play and more and more I'm starting to think that I would actually like that one, since it's supposed to have the better gameplay.

I remember a very well known sound bug in Bioshock, I think you have to have a microphone plugged in or something stupid like that.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk when I ask, but those were some of the highest regarded games of last gen... Just curious what your favorite games from last gen were? Honestly just interested.
Street Fighter 4 series, Dark Souls 1/2, Bayonetta, Portal 2. CS:GO, TF2 and COD4:MW/2 for shooters.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk when I ask, but those were some of the highest regarded games of last gen... Just curious what your favorite games from last gen were? Honestly just interested.
Rock Band dominated games for me last gen. I also loved Tales of Vesperia, Super Mario Galaxy (though the sequel was really disappointing), Metroid Prime 3, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Skyward Sword, and Super Mario Strikers.

Bioshock definitely plays better, but the story and characters feel like vapid fan fiction, which is basically what they are.

I've realized over the past couple of years that the games I love (Bioshock 1 + Infinite, Alan Wake) succeed for me because of their worlds. I just don't respond in a big way to tight shooting/gameplay.

Lijik

The gameplay was absolutely terrible. The story had a good twist, but it didn't make up for the poor death mechanics, the boring powers, and there annoying fights. The hacking was decent but needed more variety. Bioshock Infinite was much better, though I wouldn't call it a great game.
Edit: For reference, I played the original when it first came out but I played Infinite a couple years after release.
depending on if you like hoard mode style fights or not you might like 2, otherwise i think its probably not for you.

Bioshock definitely plays better, but the story and characters feel like vapid fan fiction, which is basically what they are.

I've realized over the past couple of years that the games I love (Bioshock 1 + Infinite, Alan Wake) succeed for me because of their worlds. I just don't respond in a big way to tight shooting/gameplay.
I honestly struggle to find any redeeming value in Alan Wake. There only reason I played as long as I did was the mystery, but everything surrounding the story was awful, especially the gameplay. Every time enemies appeared, I got upset because the combat was the exact opposite of fun. I think I finally stopped after this giant ball kept bashing me out of nowhere.

justjim89

I loved Firewatch and it's a pretty good single-serving sorta game, but man it could have really been something if it were like twice as long.

And System Shock 2 still trumps all of the Bioshock games.

Alan Wake was the perfect distillation of Stephen King into a video game (right down to the ending not really making good on the mystery). I played through it on a rental but some day I'd like to go back to it.

I would have been a backer for the (unsuccessful) The Ship 2 Kickstarter, but they're putting out The Ship: Remasted (geddit?) this Monday (15th) and I have an extra Steam key for anyone that wants it.

Quote this post for the key. Also, just in case bots have gotten especially clever and to comply with Canadian contest law, I've replaced two numbers with question marks. The answer is Jeff's favourite kind of malt liquor beverage...or should I say, favourite quantity...?

(Also note the game is LAN only at launch with servers being added in later).

justjim89

I would have been a backer for the (unsuccessful) The Ship 2 Kickstarter, but they're putting out The Ship: Remasted (geddit?) this Monday (15th) and I have an extra Steam key for anyone that wants it.

Quote this post for the key. Also, just in case bots have gotten especially clever and to comply with Canadian contest law, I've replaced two numbers with question marks. The answer is Jeff's favourite kind of malt liquor beverage...or should I say, favourite quantity...?

(Also note the game is LAN only at launch with servers being added in later).

Snagged it, thanks. Always been curious about The Ship but I heard the original is pretty dead.

Lijik

Bioshock 2 was actually fun to play, unlike 1 and Infinite, but I couldn't tell you one thing that happened in that game

I kind of feel the same way about like half of the first game. Anytime youre not hanging out with a big personality like Sander Cohen or Andrew Ryan is such a blur to me, especially the last third where you're chasing down Fontaine.

For me, the most shocking thing about the RorieCast is that he's a perfect replacement for Jeff. Sweeping generalizations about entire genres, peculiar habits in his daily life, idiosyncratic opinions about individual games that don't seem to make any sense - nothing that Rorie said would have sounded strange coming out of Jeff's mouth, even his admission about Dark Showers.

What makes it perfect is that Jeff is so authoritative when he makes a weird pronouncement while Rorie follows everything he says with an apology. The affect is totally different.

Heh, yeah, Jeff and Rorie absolutely both have the "sudden outburst of random insane opinion" gene.

I honestly struggle to find any redeeming value in Alan Wake. There only reason I played as long as I did was the mystery, but everything surrounding the story was awful, especially the gameplay. Every time enemies appeared, I got upset because the combat was the exact opposite of fun. I think I finally stopped after this giant ball kept bashing me out of nowhere.

Your opinions on games seem to be prone to hyperbole that I just can't find them worth considering.

Your opinions on games seem to be prone to hyperbole that I just can't find them worth considering.
This isn't hyperbole at all. My wife kept asking me to finish it but I just couldn't force myself. It only angered me. What hyperbole do you think there is?

On a more positive note, MGSV is quickly rocketing to my list of favorite games ever. Nothing will ever top Super Metroid though.

if you're playing on PC, there's a debug thing you can enable that you can use to give yourself infinite ammo and whatnot. actually made the game tolerable for me.
Infinite health too?
Edit:
I can't get through this giant ball bashing me out of nowhere =/= there is no redeeming value in the game.
I hate all the combat, the story so far is really disappointing, the writing is terrible, the camera is disorienting and unwieldy... I could go on if you'd like.

That's sending it out to die.

Microsoft isn't really that concerned with actual game software sales. They approach gaming from the perspective of a platform holder and that means Win 10 store and Xbox. It's about bolstering their exclusive library and convincing people to consider the Win 10 store for game sales. If the Win 10 store didn't exist, they'd flush the PC sales down the drain, Quantum Break wouldn't get a PC release until something similar to Alan Wake occurred and Remedy was able to self publish.

Infinite health too?

If you really find the gameplay so intolerable, what a video playthrough. You can even fast forward through the sections you don't like.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's not what they were saying until recently, though. Remember how they showed Steam at their E3(?) conference to make sure people know they support it?

I can't get too mad about publishers wanting their own library tool, though, it just makes too much sense.

Microsoft isn't really that concerned with actual game software sales. They approach gaming from the perspective of a platform holder and that means Win 10 store and Xbox. It's about bolstering their exclusive library and convincing people to consider the Win 10 store for game sales. If the Win 10 store didn't exist, they'd flush the PC sales done the drain, Quantum Break wouldn't get a PC release until something similar to Alan Wake occurred and Remedy was able to self publish.

If you really find the gameplay so intolerable, what a video playthrough. You can even fast forward through the sections you don't like.
It's not for me, it's for my wife. She likes watching me play but doesn't like let's play videos.
Edit:
So why do you want see more of it?

Stop playing.
I did. My wife wants to see it and I'm the kind of person who will finish an awful Lifetime movie if there's a mystery just to see how it resolves.

That's not what they were saying until recently, though. Remember how they showed Steam at their E3(?) conference to make sure people know they support it?

I can't get too mad about publishers wanting their own library tool, though, it just makes too much sense.

The concern was Win 10 would require all apps to be MS signed and the Win 10 store could potentially be the only option for software downloads. It was a fear strong enough to push Valve to put serious investment in Linux gaming. They had to eliminate those fears but that doesn't mean they will be publishing much more on steam now that they have their PC gaming platform open for business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom