• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
And how the hell did Jocelyn know the truth?

Great game.

Obviously the action to raise everyone's security clearance to maximum is canonical. I'm sure he did that and then she just randomly wandered down there. Yep. Very plausible.

What a game...

I also didn't take that as the motivation for real Curtis, I thought that his end goal was just driving fake Curtis insane for revenge.

Jocelyn knowing anything is also complete nonsense.

Great game indeed.

Yeah I really hope he does something.

Also I forgot that it was Jeff's No.2 in his top 10.
I should really play it sometime, I remember Jeff having some really interesting things to say about it.

Jintor

That's the one thing I don't like about the timers, it doesn't make any sense for the timer to be active when the aliens are unaware of your presence. I'll probably use that mod on a second playthrough.

ADVENT stuff always self-destructs man! Who knows why!

I guess you could say "well they saw the big dropship fly in" but then you'd have to ask yourself why the guards aren't actively searching for you

FluxWaveZ

I went back and watched the original Phantasmagoria.

There's def some humour you wouldn't hear on modern GB videos

Dunno if I agree with that (having watched it again relatively recently). Dave specifically said a couple of things that were kinda iffy even back then, but I don't think there's much else that came from them. They expressed the same kind of discomfort towards the mentally disabled kid as they did for Phantasmagoria's take on mental illness.

strafer

So they turn up the volume because the game has no subtitles, yet they talk over every got damn line in the game.

Can't they keep quiet when they talk so we hear?

Jintor

Honestly as someone who is super way into XCOM 2 the technical elements are a huge flaw. I haven't personally had anything gamebreaking yet but there's always these little issues everywhere I look.

Lingitiz

3/5 seems harsh but I haven't ran into the kind of stuff he has. Framerate is a bummer but it's a turn based game so not a huge deal. Pretty crappy technically but one of the best strategy games I've played.

Don't agree with the score in this case since the game itself is so good, but I understand the frustration.

I haven't had any crashes in XCOM 2, but the game is absolutely chock full of minor bugs, animations breaking, and awful load times even on a SSD. There's a real lack of polish to the game.

yeah as annoying as the technical issues are, apart from the occasional crash, they have in no way actually impacted my ability to play the game.

but to each their own

yeah as annoying as the technical issues are, apart from the occasional crash, they have in no way actually impacted my ability to play the game.

but to each their own

I imagine if Dan kept running into issues that were stopping him from playing the game, they would impact his own playthrough of it >_>;

Ah that's a shame. I'm really having fun with it. Had to restart my first run after 18 hours since everything went to shit. But I take it as a learning experience. I do wish it was more polished though.

Myggen

Yeah, I think that review is fair. It's always difficult with bugs because you can be lucky or unlucky with what you run into, but what he describes sounds really bad. There's no denying that the game lacks polish out of the gate, just like the first game did.

I haven't had any crashes in XCOM 2, but the game is absolutely chock full of minor bugs, animations breaking, and awful load times even on a SSD. There's a real lack of polish to the game.

This has been my case. My experiences probably would result in it getting a 4/5 for me since nothing I encountered was more than minor bugs, but I totally agree with Dan and everyone in that it is really disappointing and surprising how rough around the edges it is.

Whenever I enter the "throwing flashbang" AOE thing, I drop to 7fps on a 980 Ti which is just... I don't even know. Combined with the utterly bizarre "caps lock to faster loads" really makes me wonder what is going on with the game at times and how it got shipped in such a rough state, basically repeating the last game.

Edit: I also wish there was a difficulty setting somewhere between easy and veteran. I couldn't get very far in veteran but found easy to be a cake walk.

We all know Dan awarded that score purely for attention. He's probably sipping on his boxed wine and haugtily dipping oreos into nacho cheese as we speak.

I was ready to scoff at Dan's review, but he makes a good case for the technical issues. Never even occurred to me that hacking views could get blocked, for example; but I've seen enough bad cinematic views to believe it. Firaxis did this to themselves... now it's up to them to fix it.
Watching the XCOM 2 quick look now and Dan's use of cover is... fascinating.
In what way?

I had to delete a campaign because XCOM 2 is buggy. Could not proceed with anything and had to start all over. 3/5 sounds fine to me. Technical should definitely factor into a score I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom