• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
but as we all know he's a normal guy who does normal guy things

ibXaE9B.gif

yami4ct

I'll be interested to see what Jeff thinks is so wrong with XCOM 2.

As someone who adored XCOM EU, everything about XCOM 2 seems like a net upgrade. I love the idea of the ratcheted up difficulties that make the same old strategies you could clear 90% of EU with useless. The technical problems are a real bummer, but it sounds like Jeff has bigger issues. The progression doesn't seem radically changed from EU, so I'm interested to hear where it went wrong for him.

As someone who adored XCOM EU, everything about XCOM 2 seems like a net upgrade. I love the idea of the ratcheted up difficulties that make the same old strategies you could clear 90% of EU with useless. The technical problems are a real bummer, but it sounds like Jeff has bigger issues. The progression doesn't seem radically changed from EU, so I'm interested to hear where it went wrong for him.

Probably not enough fultoning containers or kidnapping dudes to be your workers

Yeah i'm enjoying Xcom 2 a lot, it's just kicking my ass. I need to start a new game next time I play, I made a lot of poor decisions and the doomsday meter already filled up and I hadn't even been able to leave the first continent.

yami4ct

Yeah i'm enjoying Xcom 2 a lot, it's just kicking my ass. I need to start a new game next time I play, I made a lot of poor decisions and the doomsday meter already filled up and I hadn't even been able to leave the first continent.

That's exactly what I want an XCOM game to be. I loved EU, but to me XCOM should be game where your decisions can add up in ways you don't really expect and spiral out of control, causing you to have to make desperation moves to save your metagame. You should really never feel 'safe'. In EU, once I got a hang of the metagame, I really felt it was nearly impossible for me to really lose.

Jintor

yeah i just realised that even though I'm absolutely fucking stomping the aliens right now I'm still sweating bullets every time cos I am always feeling like I'm right over the precipice of disaster no matter what happens

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jeff doeant like game he was completely ambivalent towards the last few months? Is that really surprising?

what's bad in it? damn, I was wishing that game was the best

The localization is pretty spotty leading to some weird dialogue. It's not terrible, but considering we live in a post XSEED world, it should be better.

But at least we got the game in a totally playable format for english speakers.

yami4ct

Savage towards the 2012 GOTY sequel.

Fire Emblem to be the best strategy game this year.

Conquest will be the best Strategy Game of the year. Birthright and Revelation will likely suffer from all the same Awakening flaws and will still be good, but probably not as good as XCOM.

what's bad in it? damn, I was wishing that game was the best

The writing, quest structure, and localization in general are terrible. Localization has tons of weird inconsistencies, bugs and small grammatical errors. Even without that, the overall story is just so damn bland. No one has any personality and it feels like the game jumps from plot point to plot point with almost zero connective tissue. Also, the human character designs are absolute garbage and dungeon design is really bland.

Luckily the part where you raise and fight Digimon is super duper cool and mostly redeems the rest. I just wish the story actually made me give a damn about what I was doing. Only complaints I have about the battle system is the tutorialization is terrible and the fights are too easy on average, but it's still super fun to actually play.

Man, Enemy Within was a fucking breeze until my base was raided. Holy shit, 9 dead including 2 genetically modified soldiers.

Had my French sniper not been a totally badass I would lost that hour long base defense. Fucking hell

the fights are too easy on average, but it's still super fun to actually play.

Did you turn the game to hard? I'm finding myself enjoying it much more on that difficulty, though the enemy encounters still mostly border on the easier side (SMT has spoiled me on difficult enemy counters)

yami4ct

Did you turn the game to hard? I'm finding myself enjoying it much more on that difficulty, though the enemy encounters still mostly border on the easier side (SMT has spoiled me on difficult enemy counters)

Yeah. Played hard since the get-go. Only time I found the game remotely tough was when the game only gave me a single Digimon. Since then, I've breezed through everything with little effort. Even been routinely switching up my squad to keep me lower level and underpowered and it's still too easy.

Bowlie

Banned
The localization is pretty spotty leading to some weird dialogue. It's not terrible, but considering we live in a post XSEED world, it should be better.

But at least we got the game in a totally playable format for english speakers.

The writing, quest structure, and localization in general are terrible. Localization has tons of weird inconsistencies, bugs and small grammatical errors. Even without that, the overall story is just so damn bland. No one has any personality and it feels like the game jumps from plot point to plot point with almost zero connective tissue.

So strange to still get this level of bad localization, sad. And the story was the thing I was most looking forward too; it has always been the only reason for me to play any Digimon game. And if it does not sell well who knows if we'll get another...

Also, the human character designs are absolute garbage and dungeon design is really bland.

They are from the same person that did character design for Devil Survivor, right? The style is similar, at least. I do not like that at all, too.

yami4ct

Dan said on the podcast that he was playing it, and it sounded like he was doing a review for it as well.

Awakening was Dan's first FE right? Hopefully he's not playing Conquest, because it would kick his ass. Really hoping Conquest's old style difficulty doesn't lead to a negative critical reception.

So strange to still get this level of bad localization, sad. And the story was the thing I was most looking forward too; it has always been the only reason for me to play any Digimon game. And if it does not sell well who knows if we'll get another...

They are from the same person that did character design for Devil Survivor, right? The style is similar, at least. I do not like that at all, too.

Game seems to already be selling well beyond BamCo's expectations. They can't keep it in stock and ran out of preorder codes. It's still worth playing for the game itself, but you might want to leave story expectations at the door.

The character designs are by the same guy who did Durarara, Devil Survivor and Digimon World Re:Digitize. I really wish he stopped getting games work because I cannot stand his stuff. Tons of outfits that make zero physical sense, every female is some weird shaped blob with massive boobs and tiny waists and every male looks like a weird eom-band reject.

Yeah. Played hard since the get-go. Only time I found the game remotely tough was when the game only gave me a single Digimon. Since then, I've breezed through everything with little effort. Even been routinely switching up my squad to keep me lower level and underpowered and it's still too easy.

I'm only on about chapter 5 or 6
I just beat the eater inside of the subway system so idr where,
but yeah. The only kind of difficulty I've run into so far was the
devimon fight,
mostly because my digimon were weak to either his type/element or
the two fire digimon's type/element.

Wunder

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say the geoscape overworld stuff was too obtuse for Jeff. It's a confusing system and needlessly complicated with the Avenger having to fly all over the world for each event. You don't really have a good idea of what to prioritize or what's at stake and overall while it adds more choices than XCOM 1 I feel it kinda missed the mark.

Bowlie

Banned
The character designs are by the same guy who did Durarara, Devil Survivor and Digimon World Re:Digitize. I really wish he stopped getting games work because I cannot stand his stuff. Tons of outfits that make zero physical sense, every female is some weird shaped blob with massive boobs and tiny waists and every male looks like a weird eom-band reject.

Oh yeah, Durarara too... I remember reading that Izaya and Celty would be in Record Breaker (I played the DS version so don't know if that turned out to be true). And your description was very accurate, I strongly dislike his designs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Here's something that always bothered me about the bombcast (and other podcasts maybe, I dont listen to other gaming podcasts).

One person will shit (or praise, but usually shit) on something, and nobody counters it. Its accepted as fact. I mean, I guess its because its a small team and usually only one person played the game I guess, but its something that always stuck out to me over the years and always bothered me.

The beastcast so far is better about this because at least Austim sometimes will counter some ideas.

yami4ct

I'm only on about chapter 5 or 6
I just beat the eater inside of the subway system so idr where,
but yeah. The only kind of difficulty I've run into so far was the
devimon fight,
mostly because my digimon were weak to either his type/element or
the two fire digimon's type/element.

Have you gotten the Platinum EXP booster Digimon yet? Get a couple of those and some Tactician USBs and the game will never be difficult ever agin. They level you up so much. I can go from level 1-40 in a single fight now. It's a good thing, because that kind of ramp is the only thing that makes ABI grinding bearable. It does mean I have to try and make my own difficulty, though.

I'm not deep in, but the story isn't that bad so far. At the least I'm finding it to be enjoyable.

I think his designs are definitely hit or miss. I think Haru, Joe and DeSu2 MC are fantastic designs, but there's also a bunch of misses.

Have you gotten the Platinum EXP booster Digimon yet? Get a couple of those and some Tactician USBs and the game will never be difficult ever agin. They level you up so much. I can go from level 1-40 in a single fight now. It's a good thing, because that kind of ramp is the only thing that makes ABI grinding bearable. It does mean I have to try and make my own difficulty, though.

I don't think so. I'm still figuring out the mechanics of the game, like I just learned what ABI actually was last night lol. Right now I'm just trying to get my favorite digimon from S1/2 and the bit of Tamers that I saw.

I admit to marking out really hard when I saw that the game has DNA Digivolving.

Jintor

Here's something that always bothered me about the bombcast (and other podcasts maybe, I dont listen to other gaming podcasts).

One person will shit (or praise, but usually shit) on something, and nobody counters it. Its accepted as fact. I mean, I guess its because its a small team and usually only one person played the game I guess, but its something that always stuck out to me over the years and always bothered me.

The beastcast so far is better about this because at least Austim sometimes will counter some ideas.

This always happens when only one person has played a game. It's pretty much impossible to avoid really because countering in those situations is always coming from a place of either ignorance or devil's advocate based on indirect experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-tKEqEU6I

It's why GOTY time is so good. It's when we can finally get those disagreements/arguments.

Rhaknar

This always happens when only one person has played a game. It's pretty much impossible to avoid really because countering in those situations is always coming from a place of either ignorance or devil's advocate based on indirect experience.

Yeah, like I said, I understand thats probably the reason (I dont want to get into "they wont argue with the boss" conspiracies) but it still bothers me. I dont even know what the solution is, besides everyone playing every game, but what can I say, it bothers me lol

It's why GOTY time is so good. It's when we can finally get those disagreements/arguments.

This is very true

I suspect the staff bugbears with XCOM 2 will revolve around the timers. Jeff "path of least resistance" Gerstmann and Brad "Brad Shoemaker" Shoemaker will make it so.

Drew would disagree, but unfortunately he never played the game.
I'm getting flashbacks...

"I read the wikipedia article and know you won't like it."
-MONSTERDUNK'd

yami4ct

I don't think so. I'm still figuring out the mechanics of the game, like I just learned what ABI actually was last night lol. Right now I'm just trying to get my favorite digimon from S1/2 and the bit of Tamers that I saw.

I admit to marking out really hard when I saw that the game has DNA Digivolving.

Get a Platinum Sukamon (the one that looks like poop) as it doubles the EXP you get. Eventually level it up to a Numemon as that allows you to equip more Tactician USBs, which also double EXP.

For DNA Digivolving, make sure you have your ABI up on both before you actually do it. If you need more ABI for some reason after that, you might have to go back down and de-digivolving a DNA Digimon makes you lose one of the components.

I got my first DNA Digimon the other day. A Palidramon that I digivolved into an Imperialdramon. I actually forgot Palidramon was a thing. He's kind of lame. Imperialdramon is cool as shit, but Wargreymon does way more damage on my team. It's too bad a lot of cool shit is locked behind super late game quests. I find Omnimon to be overrated, but I'd love a Magnamon, Jesmon, Alphamon, or Gallantmon.

Trying to get a Beelzebumon Blast Mode now to take advantage of that Pre-Order DLC. He seems pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom