• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This XCOM2 talk just makes it easier to wait for controller support and some patches.

Patrick made a really great video about The Division and PC game "downgrades". Going in I really didn't think I'd agree with him as much as I did, but he nailed it.
I didn't like the video. The thing people were pissed off at was the notion that they have to keep the PC version in check because of "fairness" (quote from the dev). That's the reason. Instead he's giving a lecture on what he thinks of the word "downgrade" which apparently refers to some articles I have no idea existed and compares it to very different ways games changed in development in the past. But that's missing the core part of the reaction.

So listening to a past podcast where they're talking about Antichamber and all this the witness talk got me thinking, what's the guy who made antichamber up to now?

I really like antichamber.
https://twitter.com/Demruth/status/697010567215591424

I would actually play more games from him, but Antichamber took him 7 years to make and gave him a lot of other problems, so I always expected it wouldn't happen for many years to come.

Here's something that always bothered me about the bombcast (and other podcasts maybe, I dont listen to other gaming podcasts).

One person will shit (or praise, but usually shit) on something, and nobody counters it. Its accepted as fact. I mean, I guess its because its a small team and usually only one person played the game I guess, but its something that always stuck out to me over the years and always bothered me.

The beastcast so far is better about this because at least Austim sometimes will counter some ideas.
Vinny always played that role on the Bombcast, that's why I miss him!

2C7zvKM.png

Jeff going hard against Xcom2. Can't wait until next weeks podcast.

Jeff taking dump on something is always fun to hear.

Jeff was mentioning bugs as well though.
Sure, I don't think that anyone playing this game at the moment will avoid hitting a bug but the severity of that bug can vary. I've played for 20 hours and I've only encountered animation bugs which don't impact my experience at all, Dan wasn't so lucky.

FStop7

Banned
I'm encountering really bad performance with XCOM 2. My computer's outdated but this isn't in proportion. I appreciate that GB's calling it out. Fallout 4, too.

I'm encountering really bad performance with XCOM 2. My computer's outdated but this isn't in proportion. I appreciate that GB's calling it out. Fallout 4, too.

For me a first-person shooter and a turn-based tactical game have very different expectations as far as performance goes. A shooter going down to 20 FPS (which XCOM 2 did regularly for me) would make the game unplayable for me, but in XCOM it doesn't really bother me at all.

Functional bugs are an entirely different thing, of course, and I had one hard crash during my playthrough. Luckily it didn't corrupt my save or anything, but it's still one too many. Also it's ridiculous that there are still issues with stuff like hiding the roof when you want to move on ground level etc.

Jeff's criticism about the game itself makes me think the previous game was more of a time and place thing for him.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I talk a lot of shit about Dan but I'm glad at least one review is dinging XCOM 2 appropriately for its absolutely shambolic technical state. What a mess that game is. I personally haven't experienced a PC game so broken at launch in years. Even Arkham Knight worked better for me.

I'm definitely interested in hearing Jeff's thoughts on the bombcast next week. Especially when I'm finding the base building and development stuff to be far more engaging than it was in EU.

Lingitiz

Hearing all this bad performance is really putting me off buying XCOM 2.
It's unfortunate but because of the genre and because the core game is so good it's not the worst thing.

I've had one crash in 25 hours. Also it autosaves like crazy so not crazy unbearable.

LiK

i beat XCOM 2 last night. didn't encounter a lot of bugs but the performance issues were annoying. I had fun with the combat but I agree that the base building was mediocre and there wasn't much to do in the world. I'm still getting the DLC tho.

danm999

Where's the review salt at?

Hmm?

Ok I'll give it a shot.

GIANT BUMMER. THEY SUCK AT GAMES. NO PASSION. SHOULD LEAVE THE INDUSTR....

I'm sorry I can't do it. I'm really enjoying XCOM 2 myself but Dan's review is exceedingly fair after reading it and he and Jeff are right it has some technical problems that really shouldn't have made it to launch, especially since the game was delayed.

I hope they don't get stale but it seems like they are pumping them out now. I still haven't watched the Dragon's Dogma one.

I just watched the Fallout 4 series and at first I was surprised they did 3 episodes, but they ended up being worth it. The Parenting test, the helicopter mayor, and breaking the game were just too good of moments.

XCom 2 review is harsh, I think it's a significant improvement over the previous title except for the terrible performance issues, however, Dan justifies the score and it's fair. I haven't run into as many bugs but I've seen enough reports to know that, Dan isn't necessarily unlucky, I may just have been fortunate so far. The bugs I've run into haven't impacted my play but shows a unfortunately unpolished surface on a very good core. Like last night, every time one of my soldier's overwatch was triggered the game would pause for way too long and the camera would never focus on who was shooting or who was being shot so I only knew what occurred by watching the kill message. Stuff like that piles up. If on top of that I was experiencing game breaking bugs, I wouldn't even be playing it until they patch it up. It's good that they're called out directly in product reviews and not just mentions on podcasts and social media.

Good. The lack of attention to ATS on the site has been disappointing.

They've committed to giving the QL the full Vinny experience.

I'm sorry I can't do it. I'm really enjoying XCOM 2 myself but Dan's review is exceedingly fair after reading it and he and Jeff are right it has some technical problems that really shouldn't have made it to launch, especially since the game was delayed.

You have to wonder what state the game was in when they decided to delay it if this is what they felt comfortable putting out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DAT PHANTASMAGORIA 2 ENDING

HOLY SHIT

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH

well

you either saw an alien clone go back to his garbage dimension to get away from his super attached lady friend

or

you saw him stay with super attached lady friend on earth, meaning that he'll continue to kill people with his half-alien ways, something that apparently so difficult to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the sole detective investigating was is clearly an active serial killer case is incapable of even placing Curtis under arrest though it would seem impossible for him to not have left so much evidence at the various crime scenes that it would make OJ blush

danm999

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DAT PHANTASMAGORIA 2 ENDING

HOLY SHIT

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH

I don't know how this is going over people's heads. Ok I'll break it down for you all dumb dumbs.

Step 1: Use the colored keys at the left and bottom of the screen as a guide to attaching the colored wires.
Step 2: Click once on the knob with the small red rrow.
Step 3: Click on the round lens with an opening in it until the opening is at approximately the 10 o'clock position.
Step 4: Click on the spigot right above the round lens. This will charge the red circuit at the left of the screen.
Step 5: Click on the round lens until the opening is at approximately the 2 o'clock position.
Step 6: Click on the spigot above the round lens to charge the ray.
Step 7: Click on the knob with the small red arrow.
Step 8. Click on the triangle until the red dot is in the lower right.
Step 9: Click on the ray to shoot light through the red dot.
Step 10: Click on the triangle until the yellow dot is in the lower right.
Step 11: Click on the ray to shoot light through the yellow dot.
Step 12: Click on the triangle until the blue dot is in the lower right.
Step 13: Click on the ray to shoot light through the blue dot.
Step 14: Click on the red, yellow and blue toggles in that order.
Step 15: Repeat steps 8 through 14.

I mean, c'mon, what about any of this is confusing? The game absolutely prepared you for all of this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
well

you either saw an alien clone go back to his garbage dimension to get away from his super attached lady friend

or

you saw him stay with super attached lady friend on earth, meaning that he'll continue to kill people with his half-alien ways, something that apparently so difficult to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the sole detective investigating was is clearly an active serial killer case is incapable of even placing Curtis under arrest though it would seem impossible for him to not have left so much evidence at the various crime scenes that it would make OJ blush

Wait, I thought it was the psychic projection of his real self that was doing the killings and not alien clone curtis?

LiK

3 stars ain't bad. didn't bother reading the comments because I know people will bitch at Dan even tho he said XCOM 2 is a good game in the QL. he just didn't like the technical issues which I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom