• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Xcom is a great example of a game that is hard to play (well) while in continuous conversation.

I finally watched the QL EX and even the dev playing the game didn't wanna talk during his session. he constantly forced the other dev talk about what was happening. def not a game that you want to play casually.

I dont care how hard it is to play while QLing, leaving your dudes out in the open and ending their turns is like the worst possible way to play xcom. It's like literally the very first thing xcom teaches you, to not leave your dudes hanging.

Maybe Dan was just trying to end that mission ASAP and didn't care for the results. But I really hope that's not how he plays normally because that's like some brad-playing-shadow-of-the-colossus terribad

Drew's (relatively) frequent Pac-Man 2 references are great. You can tell he knew the struggle of the frugal Genesis owner.

The game didn't come out on PS4.

tumblr_mo9qqspNVN1r9zdybo1_500.gif

Zaph

Just catching up on content and happy to see Giant Bomb continuing the theme of having performance and stability actually impact scores, rather than just a footnote with "oh and this game crashes a lot, I still had fun, but you might wanna wait for patches lol" like reviews often do.

Yeah, although I feel it does get a bit weird if a couple of patches later it all gets fixed and your review becomes outdated.

True, but they chose to release it in that state, so tough.

ArjanN

Just catching up on content and happy to see Giant Bomb continuing the theme of having performance and stability actually impact scores, rather than just a footnote with "oh and this game crashes a lot, I still had fun, but you might wanna wait for patches lol" like reviews often do.

Yeah, although I feel it does get a bit weird if a couple of patches later it all gets fixed and your review becomes outdated.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Same thing will happen next week with Street Fighter V, since they're patching a lot of stuff in later on. I'm already dreading the reviews.

Dan's wrestling gimmick would be WWE ready if he started doing a Martin Shkreli thing and offering popular acts to only wrestle for him off camera.

The review might be outdated but it's perhaps because reviews such as this one penalize the game for technical issues that

a) those issues will get resolved and
b) for their next game they might reconsider launching it in a buggy state to avoid being penalized for it.

It's good for everyone: the consumer is alerted to the state of the game at this time, the publisher is aware that they cannot ship a game in a messy state or else it might affect sales, and the developers can point to things like these reviews and say "see, when we asked for another month or so to polish the game it was to avoid things like this."

Of course the thing has already sold over half a million copies so maybe the only lesson the publisher will learn is that pays to keep on truckin'

Same thing will happen next week with Street Fighter V, since they're patching a lot of stuff in later on. I'm already dreading the reviews.
You only have something to "dread" if you have a personal attachment to watching people slap high numbers on the things you buy.

Xater

And rightfully so. That game looks even more bar bones than SFIV. The core fighting might be the best, but for some people that is not enough. I love the packages Netherrealm delivers and it's a shame Capcom doesn't do the same. Even the stuff they have planned doesn't equal what the last MK did.

ArjanN

And rightfully so. That game looks even more bar bones than SFIV. The core fighting might be the best, but for some people that is not enough. I love the packages Netherrealm delivers and it's a shame Capcom doesn't do the same. Even the stuff they have planned doesn't equal what the last MK did.

Eh, kinda, IMO it's just a consequence of them switching to a constantly updating model.

I think with MK they (smartly) doubled down on stuff like story, secrets, fatalities , sidemodes etc because they knew they couldn't compete on the core gameplay. (even though it's better than previous MKs)

It's not ideal, but I think it's still a bit odd to be too down on SFV for having little content, considering mastering the characters there at launch can already takes ages.

TraBuch

Banned
So if GBeast does have a spoilercast for Firewatch, I hope they start actually talking about the flaws. There are some pretty big ones but they just gloss right over them.

Xater

Eh, kinda, IMO it's just a consequence of them switching to a constantly updating model.

I think with MK they (smartly) doubled down on stuff like story, secrets, fatalities , sidemodes etc because they knew they couldn't compete on the core gameplay. (even though it's better than previous MKs)

You might not like the gameplay, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It's not ideal, but I think it's still a bit odd to be too down on SFV for having little content, considering mastering the characters there at launch can already takes ages.

MK has been putting up these heavily loaded fighting games since the PS2 era, though, well before they even tried their hand at the competitive scene. Like including fake puzzle fighters and fake mario karts and stuff.

Let's face it, capcom has been fucking awful forever with loading their fighting games with interesting content for the single player minded person. The closest they got to being competitive with that stuff was back during the 32 bit era, with the PSX release of Rival Schools and the home ports of SFA3. And still, Namco made those packages look thin with the crazy shit they threw out there with Tekken 3.

Sure, I don't think that anyone playing this game at the moment will avoid hitting a bug but the severity of that bug can vary. I've played for 20 hours and I've only encountered animation bugs which don't impact my experience at all, Dan wasn't so lucky.

Same here, haven't had any bugs except for animations. Had a far worse experience with FO4 on PC, so far at least. Sounds like experiences vary though /shrug.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Same here, haven't had any bugs except for animations. Had a far worse experience with FO4 on PC, so far at least. Sounds like experiences vary though /shrug.

I lost a mission on ironman because of a bug, an enemy unit bugged out and couldn't be damaged or take any action so I had to retreat. I'd still give it better than a 3 easily but I can't really fault Dan for it. The game is technically a mess.

Unfinished: Hitman Beta 02/11/2016

Two in one day! What a world we live in!

This is the best "How much does this game cost?" segment on a video yet. 45 seconds of Brad trying to describe how the game is even being sold without any real certainty. Glad Squeenix clarified the model for this game

I lost a mission on ironman because of a bug, an enemy unit bugged out and couldn't be damaged or take any action so I had to retreat. I'd still give it better than a 3 easily but I can't really fault Dan for it. The game is technically a mess.

Man, that would really suck! Yea those kinds of bugs are a big deal , especially since ironman exists.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You only have something to "dread" if you have a personal attachment to watching people slap high numbers on the things you buy.
No, I love the game already. But I want it to be successful, so I care what others might think. And Capcom putting relatively rudimentary content like trials or lobbies for more than 2 players in later updates is such a dumb idea, that I dread what it means for the reception of the game and its popularity.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man, that would really suck! Yea those kinds of bugs are a big deal , especially since ironman exists.

It's my first go at Ironman too. I ran around the map for 25 turns and three restarts before I finally accepted it wasn't happening. Supply raid mission too so I am short on everything now.

Xater

MK has been putting up these heavily loaded fighting games since the PS2 era, though, well before they even tried their hand at the competitive scene. Like including fake puzzle fighters and fake mario karts and stuff.

Let's face it, capcom has been fucking awful forever with loading their fighting games with interesting content for the single player minded person. The closest they got to being competitive with that stuff was back during the 32 bit era, with the PSX release of Rival Schools and the home ports of SFA3. And still, Namco made those packages look thin with the crazy shit they threw out there with Tekken 3.

Yes Namco have also been way better about filling their fighting games with content. Capcom has always been awful at it.

It's my first go at Ironman too. I ran around the map for 25 turns and three restarts before I finally accepted it wasn't happening. Supply raid mission too so I am short on everything now.

I had that bug too but luckily it was not on a mission where I had to kill all the enemies. Happened after mind control, but I don't know if it's related.

It was on the final mission and ironman too, so if killing all the enemies was a win condition there it would've fucked me up quite badly...

All this kvetching about Dans Xcom 2 play makes me want him to play Valkyria chronicles on UPF.

mwahahaha

* Does it have rock solid netcode?

* Does it have Dhalsim?

Thats all Im needing!

justjim89

I don't understand what's so confusing about the Hitman thing, but maybe that's just cause I'm playing on PC and already pre-ordered the whole thing for $60. It's episodic. You buy it all at once, or piece by piece. Not sure what's hard to grasp about it. I'd sure as hell rather have it episodic and play some new Hitman next month and throughout the year than wait for December for when the whole game is done.

Also, they need to make Brad Shoemaker's Big Book of Stealth into a premium series. We all need some new Premium Shoemaker in our lives.

Myggen

I don't understand what's so confusing about the Hitman thing, but maybe that's just cause I'm playing on PC and already pre-ordered the whole thing for $60. It's episodic. You buy it all at once, or piece by piece. Not sure what's hard to grasp about it. I'd sure as hell rather have it episodic and play some new Hitman next month and throughout the year than wait for December for when the whole game is done.

Also, they need to make Brad Shoemaker's Big Book of Stealth into a premium series. We all need some new Premium Shoemaker in our lives.

That's what Brad said at the start, but then he began to confuse himself :p

LiK

::fist bump::

but i likely wont play it till it's all out since i've never been a fan of playing episodes as they come out. my memory just isn't good enough for that to be any fun

i'll check it out just to see if it's any good. still haven't played Absolution and I got that on sale a while back.

popo

Giant Bomb is visited more than Comic Vine:
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/giantbomb.com
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/comicvine.com

And traffic doesn't make money. That's what Giant Bomb has a subscription service for.

Does it have a premium subscription model, though? I really wonder how much money subs make GB each year. If they only have 10,000 subscribers, that's half a million a year.

I was not aware CV had dropped off. I remember at the acquisition CV was the first or second highest rated comic site on the net.

I still maintain that CV made more money than GB. CV had one full time editor and a bunch of freelance. GB subs are very valuable but I doubt they even cover salaries. Although game sites are expected to lose money, so if they are close to breaking even it is way healthier than almost every other site, excepting maybe GS and IGN.

That said. I do not believe the CV/GS merger is due to CV being a failure. GS has been open that it is going in to general entertainment coverage, so bringing CV in to it is a vote of confidence. They think both sites will do better under the GS brand.

GS moving further towards the mainstream makes a GB GS merger even less likely IMO. Their audiences is just going to diverge even further.

Even as someone that's more excited than most here for SFV, it really is a shame that some of the bigger features like 8 player lobbies and spectator mode aren't coming until March and I can totally see that stuff hurting the initial reviews. Though if we're comparing it to MKX, I'm a lot more confident in Capcom's roadmap for updates for SFV compared to how WB has been handling the game post release, and a lot of the issues now won't even be relevant a few months from now.

* Does it have rock solid netcode?

* Does it have Dhalsim?

Thats all Im needing!

Yes and probably the best iteration of Dhalsim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom