• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
I will grant you Europeans the metric system. I will maybe grant you using single quotation marks. But you bastards will never take the decimal point from me.

Not Europeans, it's the rest of the world. Only you people are crazy enough to use that unnecessarily complicated system.

yami4ct

I will grant you Europeans the metric system. I will maybe grant you using single quotation marks. But you bastards will never take the decimal point from me.

I've switched to using single quotes in all my writing. First of all, it's easier to type since you don't have to shift. Second, they just look way cleaner and I love them. The comma instead of the decimal might be silly as hell, but those Europeans do occasionally have some good ideas.

Tubobutts

Not Europeans, it's the rest of the world. Only you people are crazy enough to use that unnecessarily complicated system.
It's very simple; You've got twelve inches to the foot, three feet to the yard, 220 yards in a furlong, eight furlongs in a mile, and three miles in a league.

oti

Banned
We INVENTED science.
Do as we please.
Use the decimal comma.

#
followthemoney

And stop saying "could of" instead of "could have" like wtf.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
And stop saying "could of" instead of "could have" like wtf.

they're actually
homophones, because nobody actually says "could HAVE" in casual conversation. It's an unstressed syllable therefore it gets schwa'd

But yes it annoys me in spelling too

Volotaire

It's weird, the UK is in a weird spot with these comparisons. Uses an odd mix of metric and imperial systems (although mostly taught the metric system) and its language/grammar conventions mimic the U.S.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

metric-system.png
US, Liberia and Burma (I think)

Single quotation marks though? That's news to me.

I really want Vinny "Pace and Space" Caravella to play more basketball games. It's always good.

How about Kerbal Basketball?

demidar

I thought UPF was pretty good. Rorie getting blown up in classic Xcom fashion then SFV and Jason's salt (despite winning 2 to 1) made it even better.

oti

Banned
they're actually
homophones, because nobody actually says "could HAVE" in casual conversation. It's an unstressed syllable therefore it gets schwa'd

But yes it annoys me in spelling too

I really don't care. We learn your language, we don't complain. Just use your own language correctly. That's all we're asking.

I probably care too much about this tbh.
But grammar is important.

LiK

dammit, i would love a Hitman Breaking Brad with Brad and Dan. Make Brad play the hardest difficulty. Would be so much fun.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
dammit, i would love a Hitman Breaking Brad with Brad and Dan. Make Brad play the hardest difficulty. Would be so much fun.

Man, that would actually be amazing (if the game is any good. They could just play Blood Money though). Hitman can be incredibly fun to watch since there are so many variables. Of course you have to replay levels a couple of times to get how they are working, but that's part of the fun. It'll never happen though. Never.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's very simple; You've got twelve inches to the foot, three feet to the yard, 220 yards in a furlong, eight furlongs in a mile, and three miles in a league.
Not even just that, man.
1 liter of water is a cube with side length 1 dm and weighs 1 kg.
Like...how do you do that in the imperial system? Not at all is my guess.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't care. We learn your language, we don't complain. Just use your own language correctly. That's all we're asking.

I probably care too much about this tbh.
But grammar is important.

It's not my language buddy, I'm Dutch. I'm just telling you there actually isn't a difference in speech between "could've" and "could of", which is why the common misspelling exists. One day it may may be an accepted spelling, if it persists. That's how language change works.

Tubobutts

Not even just that, man.
I have never understood imperial volume units.
8 fluid ounces in a cup and 4 quarts in a gallon is all I've got.

Brashnir

Not even just that, man.

The distance doesn't convert, but weight and volume does. A quart is 2 pounds of water.

Brashnir

It's not my language buddy, I'm Dutch. I'm just telling you there actually isn't a difference in speech between "could've" and "could of", which is why the common misspelling exists. One day it may may be an accepted spelling, if it persists. That's how language change works.

Except "of" makes no sense in the context.

I could have eaten the cake.
I have eaten the cake.

I could of eaten the cake.
I of eaten the cake.

Two of these sentences make sense. Two don't.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Except "of" makes no sense in the context.

I could have eaten the cake.
I have eaten the cake.

I could of eaten the cake.
I of eaten the cake.

Two of these sentences make sense. Two don't.

Lotta stuff in English doesn't make sense. I agree that it's unlikely though for that reason.

Austin's twitter makes me thing that maybe increasing Twitter's character count is a good idea because at least I could actually follow what the fuck is going on in his feed for once.

oti

Banned

Wait, the Dutch have their own language? I always thought that your king Rudi Carell was really drunk all the time so his German sounded funny.
<3

Imperial system is terrible. I don't know how many generations need to die before the metric system is truly adopted in this country. It's weird because in school and college, metric was used much much much more than the imperial units and math with decimals is much easier and less prone to error than fractions. I would have thought my generation would have been the tipping point, since we've had so much exposure but I'm not seeing it. Soda companies are trying to do their part but the shitty dairy industry is holding us all back.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Imperial system is terrible. I don't know how many generations need to die before the metric system is truly adopted in this country. It's weird because in school and college, metric was used much much much more than the imperial units and math with decimals is much easier and less prone to error than fractions. I would have thought my generation would have been the tipping point but I'm not seeing it.

America's sense of identity is really, really fragile and insecure. Anything they can do to NOT be like Europe, they'll do it, because "not Europe" is basically what America's national identity is founded upon. And I think every state could decide whether to adopt the system or not?

So it's a mess. Fix your education system America. Ideally just let the Federal gov't run shit in all departments, but that seems unlikely.

Nowy

Hey guys, maybe a few of you remember me from a couple days ago. Vinny uploaded his Project B.E.A.S.T saves, so I re-did my Duna mission with the official Luda Lander, and made of video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiRt376Q0J8. This attempt went way smoother than my other attempt with the Luda Lander I tried to create myself. Although during decent onto Duna, I was very sure I was going to crash and everything would die. It looks a lot less stressful when its sped up 600%.

Seeing how much delta-v I have at the end, I figure I can send the lander to a lot of other bodies in the Kerbal system. I think my next target is Eve (fake Venus) and its moon Gilly. I have an idea involving Gilly that would probably give the Beast crew a panic attack.

Hah, just saw somebody else posted this a few minutes ago!

That beautiful aerobraking on Duna

surprise.gif
surprise.gif
surprise.gif

Hey guys, maybe a few of you remember me from a couple days ago. Vinny uploaded his Project B.E.A.S.T saves, so I re-did my Duna mission with the official Luda Lander, and made of video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiRt376Q0J8. This attempt went way smoother than my other attempt with the Luda Lander I tried to create myself. Although during decent onto Duna, I was very sure I was going to crash and everything would die. It looks a lot less stressful when its sped up 600%.

Seeing how much delta-v I have at the end, I figure I can send the lander to a lot of other bodies in the Kerbal system. I think my next target is Eve (fake Venus) and its moon Gilly. I have an idea involving Gilly that would probably give the Beast crew a panic attack.

That was amazing. I look forward to watching your next mission!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched 2 Q&A's from Florida comiccon (Brent Spiner and Bill Nye) and almost no one was awkward! How come Giant Bomb always gets the loonies asking questions?

The Hitman Beta QL is my favourite QL this year so far.

I had the opposite experience, stopping 20 minutes in. It's so boring and uneventful.

Hah, just saw somebody else posted this a few minutes ago!
Nice work. I can't believe the Luda Lander can make it all the way to Duna... From Project BEAST I wasn't even sure if it could get to Mun and back again.

What a game. What a series.
...What a community.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's all just preference. Like, these three were probably the best US players in USF4 and this is what they use:
B8zCmW0CcAAi9cg.png

And Luffy won EVO on a Playstation 1 pad.

I really hate the whole 'Oh Stick is better!' It's like...no it's not. I dominate Fighting games on my controller, and I suck on sticks. Controller is just better for me, and I can compete against someone with a stick.

It's the same BS with 'Oh Keyboard and Mouse is better than controllers!' It's like, no it's not. Go put that keyboard where the sun don't shine.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate the whole 'Oh Stick is better!' It's like...no it's not. I dominate Fighting games on my controller, and I suck on sticks. Controller is just better for me, and I can compete against someone with a stick.

It's the same BS with 'Oh Keyboard and Mouse is better than controllers!' It's like, no it's not. Go put that keyboard where the sun don't shine.
Let's not get crazy

I think the One has the best Dpad, but the worst overall trigger situation. The only one that will really be an issue is the 360, which has an untenable Dpad situation.
I just play with analogue sticks on those two, works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom