• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd been ignoring SFV because of all of the things I knew it was lacking at launch and I'm still surprised at what I'm hearing. It doesn't even have a vs CPU mode? What? I thought it just didn't have a proper story mode or an arcade style 1v1 progression, I didn't realize you can't even have individual fights.

convo

I said something similar in the review thread - but I think them putting it out like this on disc is the thing that is irritating me. I know why they didn't, but I really think it should have been sold as a download in it's current state and only released to retail in the summer when it is feature complete.

I can only imagine how many disappointed kids are going to try and return it to Gamestop. I don't have a problem with retail games being multiplayer only but I feel they should go out of their way to let the buyer know - and SF has such a long heritage that I think people will buy it with certain expectations.

I do find a bit sad that the ones this early launch will benifit, are the poeple who will start "churning the butter" as they say, putting in the work for the competetive side. Normal people would be advised to buy this game at a later time frame if they want to have more story and characters to have fun with.

It's the initial impression that's gonna be pretty unsatisfactory, but i can be more forward looking since it's gonna get supported for it's entire lifetime and more frequently too. It's an obligation to the community they have, there is no way to escape that responsiblity anymore since they have their own CapcomCup. Capcom will update this game more often per year than the PS4 firmware does.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'd been ignoring SFV because of all of the things I knew it was lacking at launch and I'm still surprised at what I'm hearing. It doesn't even have a vs CPU mode? What? I thought it just didn't have a proper story mode or an arcade style 1v1 progression, I didn't realize you can't even have individual fights.
I mean you can play survival mode, story mode and play against the CPU in training mode. But yeah, it's weird...

popo

It's not just maps that Splatoon was missing. It, like SFV, didn't have lobbies on day one, had only 20 levels, no ranked, a pretty significant lack of weapons/clothes, etc. along with maps.

As someone that thinks that Splatoon was far and away the best Nintendo game last year, it was also heavily lacking day one. If we're comparing the two only in terms of SP, there's definitely a huge imbalance in Splatoons favor, but overall they're very similar in how much content is launching in a $60 game.

In that case I think Splatoon should have been marked down at launch by more outlets. If it had, then maybe Capcom would have thought twice. Too many games get a pass based on the promise of patches later - be it bugs or missing content.

I do find a bit sad that the ones this early launch will benifit, are the poeple who will start "churning the butter" as they say, putting in the work for the competetive side. Normal people would be advised to buy this game at a later time frame if they want to have more story and characters to have fun with.

It's the initial impression that's gonna be pretty unsatisfactory, but i can be more forward looking since it's gonna get supported for it's entire lifetime and more frequently too. It's an obligation to the community they have, there is no way to escape that responsiblity anymore since they have their own CapcomCup. Capcom will update this game more often per year than the PS4 firmware does.

Most of the casual people waiting for a story mode/more features probably don't care about being late to the party in terms of the grind.

Most of the casual people waiting for a story mode/more features probably don't care about being late to the party in terms of the grind.

Yeah, but at the same time are the more casual people even aware the game exists that far after release? Once it's past launch window most games are probably just forgotten unless there is a ton of buzz or word of mouth about a game.

In that case I think Splatoon should have been marked down at launch by more outlets. If it had, then maybe Capcom would have thought twice. Too many games get a pass based on the promise of patches later - be it bugs or missing content.

Should it have though? While some of the March update stuff should definitely be here day one, I think a game launching with less than optimal content and rolling out content as the game's lifespan continues is an interesting experiment. They were also very transparent with what would be here day one, this isn't a "this game launched and is missing stuff they said would be here and is a buggy mess" situation.

If games continue to take directions like Splatoon and SFV, I think the basic review formula needs to be shaken up a bit.

Yeah, but at the same time are the more casual people even aware the game exists that far after release? Once it's past launch window most games are probably just forgotten unless there is a ton of buzz or word of mouth about a game.

That's what the tourneys are for. SFV is here to stay for a very long time and will constantly headline Twitch during the bigger tourneys. And the game isn't complex like 4 is where it'll take months just to understand its deeper mechanics.

convo

At the very least EVO2016 should be enough to remind some people that SF5 is a game that exists. Maybe do it like Nintendo and do TV commercials for Splatoon long after the game launch but right when big updates hit.

Great review from Jason, I'm really tempted to jump online now with SFV but I imagine that most people online with early copies are probably savage.

well, it looks like we could be seeing Tim Turi on Giant Bomb content a bit more often, since he's moving to the west coast

all of my favorite GI editors are leaving one by one and it is seriously bumming me the fuck out

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
At the very least EVO2016 should be enough to remind some people that SF5 is a game that exists. Maybe do it like Nintendo and do TV commercials for Splatoon long after the game launch but right when big updates hit.
They also got all the new characters coming which they can promote and they'll probably do a "everything's included" version
(Super Street Fighter V)
later on. They'll probably be fine.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I mean you can play survival mode, story mode and play against the CPU in training mode. But yeah, it's weird...

Story mode isn't in the game for another three months right? Does survival mode actually exist or is it hypothetical too?

edit: Oh right i forgot each character does have a short story mode, I'd heard about that recently

well, it looks like we could be seeing Tim Turi on Giant Bomb content a bit more often, since he's moving to the west coast

all of my favorite GI editors are leaving one by one and it is seriously bumming me the fuck out

Game journalism in general has a weirdly high turnover rate in terms of people jumping ship from site to site. It seems pretty uncommon to see someone stay anywhere for more than 5-7 years before they leave.

It's probably not a coincidence that EVO and the cinematic story patch are happening real close to each other.

BearPawB

Banned

yeah sounds like he is getting into the game making side of things
Good for Tim.

I still think Game Informer puts out some of the best Endurance Run type content

convo

Scott Manley would of course have a video on the gravitational waves news, shame that that thing wasn't announced before the kerbal video was made. I hope he comes back for more.

I didn't see a single easy thing in that whole video

also thanks to whoever posted that Computer Chronicles video I've been watching people build 286's all day

Well, not easy I guess, but making it look easy and effortless from someone who knows what they were doing. Watching Beast fail and how they fail will either be more frustrating or funny after seeing that.

Story mode isn't in the game for another three months right? Does survival mode actually exist or is it hypothetical too?

edit: Oh right i forgot each character does have a short story mode, I'd heard about that recently
Survival mode does indeed exist, it's how you unlock new colour palettes.

Jason's pre-review of sfv reads like a 4 to me which is about what the game is getting, 80% or so.

Me too, but now the guy who played all of those games is going to be gone. The whole 12/31 thing may as well be dead in the water without Tim. In one fell swoop, I find myself with no interest in any of Game Informer's future content.

wait, tim is leaving?! Where is he going to?

I still think Game Informer puts out some of the best Endurance Run type content

Me too, but now the guy who played all of those games is going to be gone. The whole 12/31 thing may as well be dead in the water without Tim. In one fell swoop, I find myself with no interest in any of Game Informer's future content.

wait, tim is leaving?! Where is he going to?

His write-up says he's moving to the west coast and that he'll still be involved in the game industry, but not press. One of the tags of the post is "make sonic great again." If I had to make a purely speculative guess, he's got a gig at SEGA.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Survival mode does indeed exist, it's how you unlock new colour palettes.

Yeah it completely slipped my mind that you could play a mini (it was 3 or 4 fights right?) story mode for each character too. I'd read that last week when I saw you'd be able to get a DLC character by finishing those. Jeff's tweets made it seem like there's no way to fight against a CPU controlled player right now.

here's something that's going to bum a whole bunch of people out: if Dan and Vinny were in the same office, they'd probably do a lot more of those types of videos
Is that even possible? They've both resulted in a bunch of that content as is.

Yeah it completely slipped my mind that you could play a mini (it was 3 or 4 fights right?) story mode for each character too. I'd read that last week when I saw you'd be able to get a DLC character by finishing those. Jeff's tweets made it seem like there's no way to fight against a CPU controlled player right now.
I've not seen that stuff for myself yet because of the server resets but yeah I think that's right. As it stands you can fight the CPU in survival, story and training. Then in the future there will be trials and the 'cinematic' story.

Tubobutts

Based on the new Kerbal video, the Beast crew has zero chance of rescuing the Kerbals if Vinny is going to just do it off of gut feeling.

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah there is no fucking way Beast is going to be able to pull this stuff off. I might've preferred if Scott just got all the kerbs back and Beast went for Mimus or something.

rakhir

In the new Kerbal BEAST video, i was laughing so hard when Scott
burst out laughing immediately after seeing Vinny's spaceship model.
I was rewatching that moment few times, it was glorious.

popo

oh wow, lol

yeah they're never going to pull this off, especially if they avoid watching this video

They are not watching the video. I think the idea is that Scott shows the viewer how it is meant to be done and then everyone, not just those who play Kerbal, can scream at the screen when Beast do everything wrong.

Also, this lets Beast attempt the mission and when they realise it is beyond them they have a video showing them what they should have been doing. This will allow them to spend a couple of episodes failing and then move on - hopefully having learnt to avoid a lot of the basic mistakes they are currently operating under. Alternative would be Beast attempting a rescue mission for the next 6 months.

Myggen

erqKFh1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom