• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XX | Donut Create Push

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what Xcom ya'll are playing, I'm looking right at the anime here.

lDyDyAw.jpg

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that gb west seems to be spinning their wheels. UPF is just a stagnant show at this point, and I wouldn't mind them scrapping it for something new on Friday

I feel like this sentiment goes around fairly often, cyclically. Definitely a rut atm. Starting to wonder if GB West's feature output isn't a long rut with some occasional peaks (not counting regular QL's and so forth)

Ironically, they have one feature seemingly everybody loves (Demo Derby) and fucking NEVER DO THEM

jaina

they sure don't mind having some famous characters on the set

Kidding aside, in the end the sets had a decent amount of decoration. I totally get the reasoning that they want to figure out the setup and baffling before dressing the set up.
The GI shot is too far zoomed out, for my taste. But looking at the photos posted from the new podcast studio, that won't happen despite it's size.

kvk1

Yeah, If I'm working at a video games based company, the last thing I would want my employees to be perceived as are individuals who play video games.

It's just so gauche.

I feel like this sentiment goes around fairly often, cyclically. Definitely a rut atm. Starting to wonder if GB West's feature output isn't a long rut with some occasional peaks (not counting regular QL's and so forth)

Ironically, they have one feature seemingly everybody loves (Demo Derby) and fucking NEVER DO THEM

think about the ridiculous amount of demo discs they have

how do we not have a demo derby every week

I'm on the boat for a Demo Derby weekly

Dan, I know you're in here! Imagine how many taco bell commercials you haven't seen yet on Demo Derby's!

Haunted

God I hope its Mary or Danny. Someone who doesn't apologize for talking on a podcast after they make a comment or state their input.

Anyway if GB every did a video podcast I think it would be super dope if it was like the GI podcast. They sit around a table on a cool set.

tumblr_o2nco16vPb1snzd9ho1_1280.png
A bunch of marketing materials doesn't make for a great set.

Pretty good way to contrast what makes GB special compared to other sites. They get that shit, too, but either just make fun of it or making the material their own (Cool Baby). Just unironically putting publisher shit in the background is pretty terrible, not far removed from those other people wearing the plastic Fallout Pip-Boys while podcasting.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just want to say that today i viewed Kerbal: Project B.E.A.S.T part 8 and 9, and both videos were utterly glorious! :D I also saw special Kerbal episode with Scott Manley. :)

well, with jason and dan came a few new features but nothing really since. We had a couple of old games shows and rank of fighters is a once every 2-3 months thing if we're lucky.

I remember when they were really trying to pump up subscription numbers after the first year of premiums was basically HD videos and Whiskey Happy Hour ::shudders:: and they had so many new and great features that it was like overload for a minute there.

Project Beasts is great, but MGScanlon is winding down and Mario Party Party hasn't happened since they did a live episode (a common tv gimmick for ratings). we're now balls deep into february and there's been a drought in content for several months now.

I would just like an update or something, I know a lot of this is out of their hands but the lack of any sort of comment about why their output continues to suffer as the west coast studio looks like it's at least functional is starting to get past the hey-theyre-moving-give-them-time stage into the should-i-renew stage.

It feels like an eternity since when they would often post 2-3 videos/features a day AND also throw a quick look up on saturdays and sundays.

I still say just turn UPF into a whole crew live Demo Derby each week. It's something people love and has less chance of going back to being in a rut.

Tubobutts

If the set isn't covered in video game merchandise, how am I supposed to know that they're gamers who like video games like I like video games?

omgkitty

I still say just turn UPF into a whole crew live Demo Derby each week. It's something people love and has less chance of going back to being in a rut.

I think UPF is fine, but would be more interesting if they did more than just pick random games off of Steam 20 minutes before it started. I do like the looser nature of the show compared to the old Friday shows when they were with Whiskey Media, but I think maybe setting up some special stuff to do during shows or trying to spice it up would make sense. At this point it feels more like "this is a thing we have to do" instead of something they actively enjoy.

Hell, they should just spend a Friday show decorating / finishing the studio.

Patryn

I feel like we're even getting fewer episodes of their premium podcasts.

But I knew the studio would take time. Add in Jeff being likely crazy busy leading up to his vacation and the being out, and we'll see how things are in March.

I think UPF is fine, but would be more interesting if they did more than just pick random games off of Steam 20 minutes before it started. I do like the looser nature of the show compared to the old Friday shows when they were with Whiskey Media, but I think maybe setting up some special stuff to do during shows or trying to spice it up would make sense. At this point it feels more like "this is a thing we have to do" instead of something they actively enjoy.

I do sometimes wonder why they commit to having everyone bring a game, especially when that sometimes leads to games that nobody seems to care about being on.

maybe if we just keep talking about how great a weekly demo derby feature would be, someone on the GB staff will notice

but seriously I remember seeing them tweet out a picture of their discs and they totally have a OPM demo disc I have that I want them to play

It's got demos for Gitaroo Man (Mojo King Bee level, too), Maximo, Airblade, Parappa 2, and Frequency on it, it's so god damn good

Tubobutts

I feel like we're even getting fewer episodes of their premium podcasts.

But I knew the studio would take time. Add in Jeff being likely crazy busy leading up to his vacation and the being out, and we'll see how things are in March.
Part of that is that F1 isn't happening yet. Although with Pastor Maldonado out, they should do a special commemorative podcast.

omgkitty

I do sometimes wonder why they commit to having everyone bring a game, especially when that sometimes leads to games that nobody seems to care about being on.

Yeah every week there's a "someone tweeted me about this dumb game on Steam an hour ago and I have no idea what this is."

justjim89

If we keep mentioning a Hitman series with Dan and Brad every page, will they have to do it?

Hopefully so. Didn't MGScanlon basically happen because people loved that Demo Derby segment and asked for more?

Hey Dan, hey Brad: You two should do a Hitman: Blood Money premium series. That Unfinished was a lot of fun.

Strax

I wonder what the crew thinks about this discussion.

If we don't count premium content they have made 41 videos + the podcasts every week this year. If we count the premium it goes up to 55.
Also 5 reviews.

Is that alot?
I don't know.

maybe if we just keep talking about how great a weekly demo derby feature would be, someone on the GB staff will notice

but seriously I remember seeing them tweet out a picture of their discs and they totally have a OPM demo disc I have that I want them to play

It's got demos for Gitaroo Man (Mojo King Bee level, too), Maximo, Airblade, Parappa 2, and Frequency on it, it's so god damn good

OPM #61 has Robot Alchemic Drive. #71 has Fugitive Hunter. #86 has Ghost in the Shell. #107 has Yakuza. Actually, the demo DVDs get sad closer to the end of the PS2's life. There's always OXM to fall back on.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

If we don't count premium content they have made 41 videos + the podcasts every week this year. If we count the premium it goes up to 55.
Also 5 reviews.

Is that alot?
I don't know.

Look man, I need my giantbomb 24 hours, 7 days of the week.

We need the CNN of giantbomb.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Also 5 reviews.

Is that alot?
I don't know.

If I can consume it faster than they can produce it, they are doing a poor job. Lazy bastards.

I think that they understand I (we) have no life (lives) and chew through the content at a faster than normal rate as well as enjoying it so much we tend to prioritise it and desire it more than content from a lot of other sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom