• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb XXI | Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's a brief summary of the recent events:

Palmer has been nearly silent since the launch. The Oculus twitter account has tweeted nothing but retweets of press reviews and shit. Pre-orders have finally started shipping yesterday and today, but the units shipped are up to those that ordered in the first minute (and not even all of them).

There are two anonymous Reddit posters making claims. One of them is saying the manufacturer put the wrong lenses in the headsets, rendering the entire stockpile unshippable. There is an issue with the lenses of the early KS headsets that were shipped, but I don't believe this guy.

The other Redditor is claiming there is an issue with a "partner", likely the payment processing company. I kind of believe this guy because he has made multiple predictions (claimed as fact) before things happen, and they've been very accurate.

[EDIT] To clarify, the fresnel lenses on the earliest CV1 units have a "glare" effect that is a known problem with fresnel lenses. It's unknown if the later-shipped Rifts have this issue or not. If they do, it invalidates the guy's claims.

[EDIT2] Oh! And the Rifts were supposed to ship with multiple faceplates to better accommodate glasses-wearers. It only comes with 1. I don't necessarily think this was a mess-up, but more likely a decision that was made and never communicated.

The launch seems like a mess but probably not anything sinister.

Conjecture like this is understandable though, because it's naturally filling a massive hole of nothing from Oculus themselves.

The launch seems like a mess but probably not anything sinister.

Conjecture like this is understandable though, because it's naturally filling a massive hole of nothing from Oculus themselves.

Exactly. I don't take any of the rumors as fact; the issue is that Oculus and Palmer have been silent on it. All the speculation is their fault.
The Oculus launch definitely seems like kind of mess, it'll be interesting to see how the VIVE launch goes.

My credit card got charged today for the Vive, and many of the Australian orders have already shipped. It's looking like the Vive launch will be a fucking home run in comparison.

My credit card got charged today for the Vive, and many of the Australian orders have already shipped. It's looking like the Vive launch will be a fucking home run in comparison.

I was curious so I just went to look at how easy it was to order a Vive and get relevant information and it was night and day compared to Oculus.

With Vive I googled, clicked a link, clicked order, it gated me by country then told me I would be waiting until May and all the charging information, with the relevant price.

With Oculus the order button took a while to find on their website, gave me a price in $, told me it was July and then made me sign up before getting any other information.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I can't imagine that there will be a lot of australian orders to ship, seeing that it costs $1400 to ship it here.

It really feels like Oculus took all the time and effort to make VR something in the gaming consciousness only to stumble right at the end and let other companies reap the rewards. Then again it also feels like a consumer version should've been available far before competitors, for as long as it's been since the initiative was announced.

yami4ct

I'l say about the Oculus launch troubles the same thing's I say about most of these kinds of issues.

I won't ascribe to malice what I simply ascribe to incompetence. That doesn't excuse the problems with communication and delivery, but I also don't think they're trying to pull one over on people since they don't really benefit from doing so. There likely have been problems somewhere in the manufacturing or processing line and those changes haven't been communicated well by PR.

It really feels like Oculus took all the time and effort to make VR something in the gaming consciousness only to stumble right at the end and let other companies reap the rewards. Then again it also feels like a consumer version should've been available far before competitors, for as long as it's been since the initiative was announced.

I've felt like they've been stumbling for a good while. Even after the Facebook acquisition, they feel like the young and inexperienced start up they are. It's no shock that big companies like Valve/HTC and Sony have been doing much better jobs on many fronts.

Antiwhippy

Seriously though, people say that the PSVR isn't that much of a savings compared to vive and occulus, try being in australian shoes.

AUD$1100 for Occulus
AUD$1400 for Vive
AUD$549 for PSVR

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ascribing malice to any of this. But someone done fucked up.

I was curious so I just went to look at how easy it was to order a Vive and get relevant information and it was night and day compared to Oculus.

With Vive I googled, clicked a link, clicked order, it gated me by country then told me I would be waiting until May and all the charging information, with the relevant price.

With Oculus the order button took a while to find on their website, gave me a price in $, told me it was July and then made me sign up before getting any other information.
What's worse, try to find the page to download the Oculus Store.
I can't imagine that there will be a lot of australian orders to ship, seeing that it costs $1400 to ship it here.
That's definitely true.

Seriously though, people say that the PSVR isn't that much of a savings compared to vive and occulus, try being in australian shoes.

AUD1100 for Occulus
AUD1400 for Vive
AUD549 for PSVR

I feel like the PSVR will clean up the majority who are curious about VR but I also feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot launching an iterative console within 12 months of it.

Oh, also I forgot the mention: Oculus services runs on your computer at all times, transmitting data to a Facebook server regardless if any Oculus software is running.

Is Timecop a good movie?

tumblr_nqk6kb5SHa1uymix6o1_500.gif

Yes.

Antiwhippy

I feel like the PSVR will clean up the majority who are curious about VR but I also feel like they are shooting themselves in the foot launching an iterative console within 12 months of it.

Will have to see how it's being implemented, but yeah, maybe?

I'm convinced that you own at least one Domino's franchise.

Check for Scorpions first.

Actually got confused about this post for awhile because we do have a computer parts store called scorptec here and I thought that you mean they have cheaper stock.

yami4ct

I feel like the limitations of PSVR (The PS4 that most people own is underpowered and will limit experiences, move has no good navigation and kind of sucks, etc.) could be damaging long term. The PS4K is kind of a side problem.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, the PSVR seems like the one with the most actual games though (RIGs, Rez and Summer lesson)

Also I feel that it benefits the most from having the other headsets out in the market first for developers to get their VR feet wet.

yami4ct

I dunno, the PSVR seems like the one with the most actual games though (RIGs, Rez and Summer lesson)

Also I feel that it benefits the most from having the other headsets out in the market first for developers to get their VR feet wet.

It has games right now, but those games are still limited. Not as limited as the initial Occulus stuff, but not full games.

Once VR developers start really trying to make full featured software, I feel like original PS4 owners are going to have trouble.

Zaph

Vive stream should be great. While there's a lot of software crossover, the roomscale and controller stuff should make for more craziness than just holding an xbox controller on a stool.

I think Facebook is just paying the price for having never done a hardware launch at scale before. Fulfilment is very hard, and on a worldwide scale it's very, very hard - there's good reasons so often companies cede some control to a partner (at least for gen 1) like Valve has with HTC. I'm surprised Samsung isn't more involved to help out - but I imagine the kickstarted nature of the Rift means any Samsung logos or public involvement would be met with massive outcry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom